Adding a suppresser to an AR What to expect

Guest Ditchdigger

Guest Ditchdigger
My Wilson Combat Whisper 7.62 made to my SOT Friday. Hopefully get the form four out this week. It's my first can, what should I expect when I get to use it, as far as the gun operating? Read some where guys change to an ajustable gas blocks, increase in blow back and stuff along those lines. Will be using it on Daniels Defence 223 and a 5 H Stag in 6.8 for now. Was hoping to just leave the hearing protection on the bench and have some fun.
A suppressor does not reduce the supersonic crack of a high-velocity bullet, so you WILL need your hearing protection. If you get an upper for a sub-sonic cartridge, then you can shoot without muffs or plugs. If you use a .22 conversion and subsonic ammo, you will hear more noise from the bolt movement than from the muzzle. The Federal Auto-Match .22 stays subsonic from my rifle, and is a lot cheaper and more consistent than ammo marketed as subsonic.

As far as other stuff, wait until you have a chance to shoot to find out whether you need adjustable gas or other accessories. Some folks don't need it, so why waste money?

I have a .223 suppressor that I've used with .223 and 6.5 Grendel. If I rapid-fire, then I get some gas blow-back out the back of the upper receiver. If I space my shots, it's barely noticeable. To my ear, the 6.5 is a bit quieter, but it might just be that the tone of the crack is not as high-pitched as .223.

A noise suppressor is also an excellent flash-suppressor. It's fun to shoot at twilight and see the difference in muzzle flash.
To add a little more. If your target is within about 10 yards you will not need hearing protection. The supersonic crack becomes very loud at about that mark. I have shot into the ground at my feet with supersonic ammo when using a suppressor and all you hear is the action noise. If I shoot at a 100 yard target then those shots are substantially louder.

Something else to expect is your gun will get dirtier quicker with a suppressor. A suppressor adds backpressure and all that extra pressure, along with the crud, dumps into your receiver. That is unless you get your gas system set up perfectly then you shouldn't have a problem.

As far as cycling goes if your gun will run fine without one then it will run fine with a suppressor, just dirtier.

Dolomite
Guest Ditchdigger
Stopped by my Sot's shop/house last night he has moved his shop about a mile from my house. Stopped by his new shop,the suppressor is at his house. Left him both uppers he is going to put the new brakes on tonight. My 11 year old daughter was with me, he said he would bring a suppressed 22 for her to shoot tomorrow. So now Mr. McGuire is just awsome. Hope I don't have to work too late or dad won't be awsome at all.
I have read about the supersonic crack. Was hoping it wouldn't be that bad. Will only be able to shoot close range tomorrow so will have to wait to experance that on another day. Don't want to waste any money. Need to build another lower, got a tax stamp to pay for. This Black Rifle stuff doesn't end.
If you're really concerned with protecting your hearing, you'll need to run some tests, or at the very least look at the manufacturer's numbers.

Keep in mind anything about 120dBSPL can (generally will) cause instantaneous damage to your hearing - this doesn't mean immediate noticeable loss of hearing, but hearing loss is cumulative, so at the very LEAST I recommend keeping the exposure to instantaneous sounds to <100dBSPL. I don't think I've ever seen a suppressor capable of more than about 30-35dB NR, which means you would realistically need ~20dB of extra protection with a typical firearm (most of which generate somewhere in the neighborhood of 150dBSPL).

For example, when I'm shooting (I don't have any suppressors), I wear 33dB NR plugs with some 25dB over-the-ear muffs. This combination yields enough protection that I can shoot everything I own for hours with no damage. I'd LOVE to shoot with nothing on my head, but it's just not practical for someone who wishes to protect their hearing.

May not seem like a big deal now, but in 20 years when you have tinnitus and struggle to keep up with conversations, you'll wish you were aggressive in protecting your ears...
  • Like 1
[quote name='crimsonaudio' timestamp='1352902602' post='845415']
If you're really concerned with protecting your hearing, you'll need to run some tests, or at the very least look at the manufacturer's numbers.

Keep in mind anything about 120dBSPL can (generally will) cause instantaneous damage to your hearing - this doesn't mean immediate noticeable loss of hearing, but hearing loss is cumulative, so at the very LEAST I recommend keeping the exposure to instantaneous sounds to <100dBSPL. I don't think I've ever seen a suppressor capable of more than about 30-35dB NR, which means you would realistically need ~20dB of extra protection with a typical firearm (most of which generate somewhere in the neighborhood of 150dBSPL).

For example, when I'm shooting (I don't have any suppressors), I wear 33dB NR plugs with some 25dB over-the-ear muffs. This combination yields enough protection that I can shoot everything I own for hours with no damage. I'd LOVE to shoot with nothing on my head, but it's just not practical for someone who wishes to protect their hearing.

May not seem like a big deal now, but in 20 years when you have tinnitus and struggle to keep up with conversations, you'll wish you were aggressive in protecting your ears...
[/quote]

My parents always said that I have selective hearing. I can just use that to tune out the gun shots and I'll be fine right?
Guest Ditchdigger
Big disappointment tonight. Thought we would get to try the suppressor, but Wilson only sent one brake Naturally it was the wrong threads. My daughter sure was disappointed,he didn't bring the 22 pistol eather.
I have opperated equipement most of my life, hearing protection wasn't cool, sure wished now I would have been uncool. Got the constant ringing all the time. Trying to teach my daughter to be a little smarter than I am.