Condition 1 or Condition 3 Carry

Guest DarylDixon

Guest DarylDixon

[quote name='mikegideon' timestamp='1353687625' post='849791']
I'll bet it does :). Accidental discharge should really be called accidental trigger pull. If you don't mash the trigger, it won't go bang. I have owned defensive handguns since the early 70's. I'm real comfortable around them until my finger gets in the trigger hole. That doesn't happen unless the gun is pointed in a safe direction.

This isn't the first (or second, or...) thread on this subject. It's not like the jury is still out. With that said, you have to reach your own comfort level. Just keep going over defensive scenarios in your mind. [b]The overwhelming majority of folks carry in condition one, and it's not because they're reckless.[/b]
[/quote]

I don't believe people who carry condition 1 to be reckless, just braver than me! :)

Guest DarylDixon

And now, for your viewing pleasure...

Tex Grebner :bowrofl:
[url="http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CC8QtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dp3kJ6SU3ycs&ei=yqavULnTMI-s8QTQ9oHQBA&usg=AFQjCNG8Z46yCFBktzQwDoxpLDIvSCBLwg"]Derek "Tex" Grebner Shoots Himself In The Leg - YouTube[/url]

Guest DarylDixon
All the same, I bet I can rack the slide faster than most can turn their safety off. Turning the safety off is a fine motor skill, whereas an over-hand rack...not so much. Pros and cons abound:)
[quote name='DarylDixon' timestamp='1353699794' post='849833']
All the same, I bet I can rack the slide faster than most can turn their safety off. Turning the safety off is a fine motor skill, whereas an over-hand rack...not so much. Pros and cons abound:)
[/quote]

That's why I carry a Glock. No external safety switch. I have a Sig P-238 that is a single action 1911 clone in .380. I have had two failures to fire because I forgot to thumb the safety off. Now I carry a revolver, Glock or XD with one in the chamber. The wheel gun is the fastest to draw and shoot. Would you carry an empty chamber in a revolver?
Guest DarylDixon
A revolver doesn't have enough rounds for me to consider carrying one. It would use fine motor skills to chamber a revolver. I carry an XD as well. It cracks me up that so many 1911 guys believe in having it cocked with the safety on while looking down on an XD in condition 3. In a defensive situation, I'll have mine ready to fire before the 1911 guy will.
[quote name='DarylDixon' timestamp='1353701106' post='849838']
A revolver doesn't have enough rounds for me to consider carrying one. It would use fine motor skills to chamber a revolver. I carry an XD as well. It cracks me up that so many 1911 guys believe in having it cocked with the safety on while looking down on an XD in condition 3. In a defensive situation, I'll have mine ready to fire before the 1911 guy will.
[/quote]

I'll bet there are more than a few guys who would take you up on this challenge.... not me as I carry Glocks or something without a manual safety. I am not judging or doubting your personal ability but from my experience a safety comes off a lot quicker than racking a slide and can be done easily with one hand.
  • Like 2
[quote name='maroonandwhite' timestamp='1353701529' post='849839']
I'll bet there are more than a few guys who would take you up on this challenge.... not me as I carry Glocks or something without a manual safety. I am not judging or doubting your personal ability but from my experience a safety comes off a lot quicker than racking a slide and can be done easily with one hand.
[/quote]

I'm a Glock guy too, because safeties piss me off. Still, I can have the saftey off before one of my 1911's can clear the holster. This is getting silly.
[quote name='DarylDixon' timestamp='1353701106' post='849838']
[/quote]

Keep telling yourself that.... Edited by DaddyO
  • Like 1
I carry sometimes carry a little Smith and Wesson model 36 3". I don't even use +P ammo! Am I crazy? Uh...No. I had a compition with all 13 of my conceal carry pistols and revolvers. The little model 36 won. It is the fastest to draw and fire three accurate shots. I couldn't believe it until I had shot every pistol I own, that this little "old school" wheel gun won.
Guest DarylDixon
[quote name='Will Carry' timestamp='1353705434' post='849853']
I carry sometimes carry a little Smith and Wesson model 36 3". I don't even use +P ammo! Am I crazy? Uh...No. I had a compition with all 13 of my conceal carry pistols and revolvers. The little model 36 won. It is the fastest to draw and fire three accurate shots. I couldn't believe it until I had shot every pistol I own, that this little "old school" wheel gun won.
[/quote]

I wouldn't doubt it. In a home defense situation, my S&W revolver will be the first thing I grab. It can deliver .410 shot, 45 long colt, or 45 ACP very quickly and accurately.

[quote name='DarylDixon' timestamp='1353688868' post='849797']
And now, for your viewing pleasure...

Tex Grebner :bowrofl:
[url="http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CC8QtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dp3kJ6SU3ycs&ei=yqavULnTMI-s8QTQ9oHQBA&usg=AFQjCNG8Z46yCFBktzQwDoxpLDIvSCBLwg"]Derek "Tex" Grebner Shoots Himself In The Leg - YouTube[/url]
[/quote]

[url="http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=086_1260862712"]http://www.liveleak....=086_1260862712[/url]

Still going to carry condition 3? In case you can't tell, he's DEAD.

Edited by w0lfattack
  • Like 1

[quote name='w0lfattack' timestamp='1353708470' post='849868']
[url="http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=086_1260862712"]http://www.liveleak....=086_1260862712[/url]

Still going to carry condition 3? In case you can't tell, he's DEAD.
[/quote]

I looked for that video and couldn't find it. Obviously, he had a problem with his safety :rofl:

[quote name='Will Carry' timestamp='1353705434' post='849853']
[/quote]

I love the Model 36. I had one when I was a young pup, and always regretted selling it. I finally replaced it a year or two ago. Both are snubbies. I always shot it well. .
Guest DarylDixon
I started this thread with an open mind because i wanted to be sure and see all viewpoints. I will admit that this thread has softened my heart toward condition 1 carry. I suppose that if I am actually upholstering my XD, that I would most likely only be doing so because I have decided that I have been threatened to the point where it is necessary to use force to defend myself. That being said, a good holster that adequately covers the trigger guard is in one regard an additional safety. I am seriously reconsidering condition 1 carry. Thanks for all the input:)
[quote name='DarylDixon' timestamp='1353732825' post='849943']
I started this thread with an open mind because i wanted to be sure and see all viewpoints. I will admit that this thread has softened my heart toward condition 1 carry. I suppose that if I am actually upholstering my XD, that I would most likely only be doing so because I have decided that I have been threatened to the point where it is necessary to use force to defend myself. That being said, a good holster that adequately covers the trigger guard is in one regard an additional safety. I am seriously reconsidering condition 1 carry. Thanks for all the input:)
[/quote]

Good for you. Nobody was trying to bust your chops. Yes, you absolutely gotta have a holster that covers the trigger.
I carry with a full mag round chambered. No safety on mine.
However a good holster and good training will make up for any lack of saftey.
As far as unloading and loading, mine is only unloaded when I shoot it, and when I clean it. Stays ready to go. I take it off the holster comes off gun in holster. Put the holster and gun on together.

[quote name='DarylDixon' timestamp='1353732825' post='849943']
[/quote] :up: