Fingerprint / photo reqs for Trusts/Corp coming soon?

• Administrator

As posted elsewhere...

###

ALERT: Fingerprint / photo reqs for Trusts/Corp coming soon?

I'm sure most of you've heard of the CLEO sign off for individuals going away potentially. Well, that's good news, but what I didn't realize until today is that the main purpose (title) of the proposed change is to require each responsible member of a trust of corporation to submit fingerprint cards and photographs. This new regulation hasn't been adopted yet, but supposedly it's in the stage of "proposed rule making" so it may only be a matter of time.

The Department of Justice is proposing to amend the regulations of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) regarding the making or transferring of a firearm under the National Firearms Act. The proposed regulations would (1) add a definition for the term "responsible person"; (2) require each responsible person of a corporation, trust or legal entity to complete a specified form, and to submit photographs and fingerprints;

http://www.reginfo.gov/public/do/eAg...&RIN=1140-AA43

This would be a huge strike against the trust/corporate route and would add time and complexity. I would imagine processing times going up as the rate of paperwork errors should increase when everyone has to submit additional documentation.
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I always thought the main reasons for a trust is to make conveying items to other members easier and to circumvent CLEOs who drag their feet on signing off. 

That's the main reasons.

It would be a little extra pain for the trust holders to submit fingerprints and pics but that's basicly it.

I don't have a trust and do everything personal. To me, it's easier to get the LEO sign off, fingerprints, and pic than it is to deal with a trust. Now if I didn't have a willing sheriff, I'd change my mind.

No doubt in response to the popularity of the trust.  ATF probably said whoa! we have all these trustees out there in possession of silencers, machine guns, etc. that never had to go through a background check.  Well it has been a nice loophole.

I think this is a good thing.  Trusts shouldn't be a way to circumvent a proper background check.  Maybe I'm bitter because I don't use a trust and do everything on my own but I would like to see it balanced out.  

I think this is a good thing.  Trusts shouldn't be a way to circumvent a proper background check.  Maybe I'm bitter because I don't use a trust and do everything on my own but I would like to see it balanced out.  

Why should we have to have background checks anyway? What makes an NFA background check any different than the one you already have to go through to get the firearm? The NFA was only proposed so the feds could prosecute mobsters because they couldn't get them on any other charges and only served to put ownership of these items out of reach of the law-abiding citizens. ($200 was worth a whole lot more back then)The NFA needs to be rescinded and wouldn't pass muster in it's current form if it was proposed today.

Edited by gnmwilliams

Why should we have to have background checks anyway? What makes an NFA background check any different than the one you already have to go through to get the firearm? The NFA was only proposed so the feds could prosecute mobsters because they couldn't get them on any other charges and only served to put ownership of these items out of reach of the law-abiding citizens. ($200 was worth a whole lot more back then)The NFA needs to be rescinded and wouldn't pass muster in it's current form if it was proposed today.

No, the NFA came about due to the repeal of prohibition.  They had a workforce of ATU revenuers that were going to be out of a job so they went on to tax and regulate something else.

• Like 1

No, the NFA came about due to the repeal of prohibition.  They had a workforce of ATU revenuers that were going to be out of a job so they went on to tax and regulate something else.

Im sure that was a contributing factor but after the St. Valentine's Day massacre the public flew off the handle and the newspapers kept pumping out images of mobsters and their "scary" machine guns. So, for everyone's safety, the government put all these "scary" guns on a list and taxed the crap out of them...for everyone's safety of course. Sound familiar?

I think the NFA should be done away with as well BUT THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN! So in my realistic world, I'll continue to operate under the law and be content if everyone is treated equally. 

I think the NFA should be done away with as well BUT THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN! So in my realistic world, I'll continue to operate under the law and be content if everyone is treated equally. 

I don't know. Isn't there somebody trying to get suppressors classified as hearing protectors? Kinda like OSHA regulations but for firearms?

Guest semiautots

Unfortunately, we the citizens, will never be treated equally to the government police.  Thousands and thousands of newly manufactured machine guns are bought by them at minimum pricing.  So, the government cops get to play with the toys, while having those toys paid for by the people that don't get to have even one.

Makes perfect sense and it makes the government police behave differently.

Wow.

Keep on saying that and it will never happen.