walmart and ammo

Good to know its a fiscal reasoning.

Walmart has always made their decisions from uber micro-managed spreadsheets in Bentonville. And I'm sure always will.

That, along with their revolutionary distribution system, is the reason for their success.

- OS

I prefer to make my gun and ammo purchases from gun and ammo people. 

I won't feel the need to boycott them as I rarely choose to grace their stores anyway. Most of the things that I need that they carry I buy elsewhere already. I don't go to one big store so that I can get it all right there. When I want groceries, I go to Food City, when I want paper goods and cleaning supplies, I go to the Dollar General. When I need tools I go to a hardware store, and when I need guns and ammo, I go to the gun shop. 

Now I do understand that the locations of WM stores means that for many people, WM is the most conveniently located and affordable place to purchase ammo, but I'm going to choose to look at this from a different vantage point. If WM is the closest or only place in an area to make these purchases and they cease to sell these items, perhaps this will create a viable market demand in that area for an individual to open a new gun store to provide for the gun and ammunition needs of that geographical area. It could actually be a boon for gun store owners. I'm thinking that if they do so in my area, perhaps I will apply for my FFL and just open a shop here. Just a thought.

.... When I want groceries, I go to Food City, ...

Wow, here, FC is the highest grub in town.

On my big Sam's food run every six weeks or so, I save more than the $35 mem fee in the one trip compared to same from Kroger. And Kroger is a deal compared to FC.

I don't buy much food at Wally, but probably would if there weren't a Sam's next door to it.

My bucks are mostly amoral and apolitical, btw.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Wow, here, FC is the highest grub in town.

On my big Sam's food run every six weeks or so, I save more than the $35 mem fee in the one trip compared to same from Kroger. And Kroger is a deal compared to FC.

I don't buy much food at Wally, but probably would if there weren't a Sam's next door to it.

My bucks are mostly amoral and apolitical, btw.

- OS

Here...FC is the only grub in town aside from WM...no Sams club here. 

Guest ArmyVeteran37214

Wally 5616 did receive some ammo (mostly odd ball calibers) the other day. However, it is locked up in the ammo case and still in shipping packaging with words saying "out of stamps" or something similar to that. Sorry, can't be of more help to you all.

Looks like Walmart HQ has dictated the 3 boxes per person policy: http://www.examiner.com/article/walmart-world-s-largest-gun-retailer-to-place-limits-on-ammunition-purchases.

"Bentonville-based Walmart is making changes to its ammunition policy. According to a company spokesperson, the world's largest retailer is now limiting the amount of ammunition one can purchase. Starting this week, Walmart customers are limited to buying three boxes of ammo per day. Walmart reps say limited stock is the reason behind the new policy."

Guest rick849187187

All northeast TN Walmarts got in decent size shipments of ammo this morning....22 bulk .45 .40 9mm .380 .223 and 5.56 federal in the ammo cans. Everything blew off the shelves at the Elizabethton Walmart except some .40 .380 and .45 and yes its limited to 3 boxes total per customer not 3 per caliber but 3 total.

[quote name="rick849187187" post="896841" timestamp="1359235034"]...5.56 federal in the ammo cans. ...[/quote] Wow, wish I had ran across one of those! I got some 22lr in JC and felt like I won the ammo lottery, but one of the cans would have been much nicer.

I've worked for Walmart for 6 years now but I can only speak about how my store does things. The truck is unloaded between 8-10 pm, but not everything leaves the stockroom. Certain things are left in back and we call those "security items." Those things include Tv's, phone cards, laptops, computers, tablets, scopes, guns, ammo, etc. The department manager that comes in at 7 am is then responsible for getting the ammo and putting on the tax stamps and then putting it in the display case. We currently have a 6 box limit and have no plans to stop selling ammo or guns, and we were told by corporate that we are going to focus on getting back in stock with ammo. Walmart hates having "outs" because they see that as missed money.

Guest ArmyVeteran37214

I've worked for Walmart for 6 years now but I can only speak about how my store does things. The truck is unloaded between 8-10 pm, but not everything leaves the stockroom. Certain things are left in back and we call those "security items." Those things include Tv's, phone cards, laptops, computers, tablets, scopes, guns, ammo, etc. The department manager that comes in at 7 am is then responsible for getting the ammo and putting on the tax stamps and then putting it in the display case. We currently have a 6 box limit and have no plans to stop selling ammo or guns, and we were told by corporate that we are going to focus on getting back in stock with ammo. Walmart hates having "outs" because they see that as missed money.

Same deal at my store.

Guest Nutts&Bolts
I'm guessing each stores manager plays heavily on ordered items and stock on shelves...at my nearest store it's pretty much bare shelves. It's never been very well stocked in the ammo & gun department...
I've made a few stops by lately...not even a 4 pack of 12ga...
I hope it turns around soon..getting close to shooting season...