National Guard Lexington, Tn 5 arrested for theft of 800 M4 Magazines

Additional Charges Filed in Connection with Theft from Armory

Story Created:

Feb 21, 2013 at 2:51 PM CST
Story Updated:
        Feb 21, 2013 at 3:15 PM CST

LEXINGTON, Tenn. – Five people have now been arrested in connection

with the theft of M-4 magazines from the Tennessee National Guard Armory
in Lexington.

According to Lexington police, 798 of the 30-round
magazines were reported stolen. The magazines were not loaded at the
time of the theft. National Guard representatives have indicated that
ammunition is not stored at Tennessee Armories as a matter of policy.

With the assistance of Guard personnel, Lexington Police said they developed
suspects in the case that lead to the recovery of 593 of the missing
magazines on February 13, which was the day the theft was reported.

Police said the additional missing magazines were recovered on February 15.

Lexington Police investigating officers have been assisted in this case by
representatives from the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation and District
Attorney General’s Office. The Tennessee National Guard has also fully
cooperated during the course of this investigation.

At this time, five soldiers have been charged with Theft over $1000, which is a Class
D Felony in connection with the offense. They are listed as follows:

1. SSG Richard B. Walker (42) of Clifton, TN
2. SPC Jeremy E. Camper (32) of Scotts Hill, TN
3. SPC Ronald G. Clark Jr (38) of Lexington, TN
4. SPC Ryan M. Bromley (24) of Reagan, TN
5. PFC Jonathan M. Walker (38) of Bells, TN

Bond
has been set for all of the defendants at $1000.00. They are scheduled
for appearance in General Sessions Court on Tuesday, February 26. The
reported value of the recovered property is $7,429.38.

Police said the investigation is on-going and additional charges are possible.

And it gets even better.... Lexington is the location for the 251st MP Company!  :eek:

Oh, I'm sure we all have some good MP stories. There was the one about the MP at Bragg that was a part of a cocaine ring, so he rented a gun from a range on Yadkin and blew his brains out... or the female MP that was rolled up on her way back from Iraq with 50K in cash she earned while prostituting herself... or my own personal story of walking into an MP kennel downrange where folks were smoking marijuana that had been seized... There's a lot of good MP stories out there.

Oh, I'm sure we all have some good MP stories. There was the one about the MP at Bragg that was a part of a cocaine ring, so he rented a gun from a range on Yadkin and blew his brains out... or the female MP that was rolled up on her way back from Iraq with 50K in cash she earned while prostituting herself... or my own personal story of walking into an MP kennel downrange where folks were smoking marijuana that had been seized... There's a lot of good MP stories out there.

As far as I can remember, every MOS had its fair share of sh#tbox troops. There are a lot of sad stories of troops having no honor or respect for their uniform and country. Sadly these jack wads were in my beloved MP CORP. I hope that they get nuked to set an example for the next thief. Edited by LINKS2K

As far as I can remember, every MOS had its fair share of sh#tbox troops. There are a lot of sad stories of troops having no honor or respect for their uniform and country. Sadly these jack wads were in my beloved MP CORP. I hope that they get nuked to set an example for the next thief.

Ha, no offense meant brother.  My dad and uncle were both MPs, so it's kinda like making the Jewish pizza joke and being like "it's okay, my wife's Jewish."

• Like 1
Guest USCavScout

Yea I have heard and seen my fair share of MP's being stupid. They assume they are above the law 99% of the time until they slip up and get busted for being totally stupid.

So, were these new in the wrapper magazines, or beat up nasty ready for DRMO magazines? Are they accountable items? When worn out, are they XB3 (disposable?) and who decides? Is this straight out theft of new stock -- or is it bad or sloppy disposition of worn-out stuff?

Just asking.

Edited by QuietDan

Yea I have heard and seen my fair share of MP's being stupid. They assume they are above the law 99% of the time until they slip up and get busted for being totally stupid.

All humans do that. One thing that I learned early on as a MP was that some young people resent authority figures. Young warriors REALLY resent authority figures. It goes with the job. I never had issues with the troops when I was on patrol rotation ( I had enough time in the field that I should have signed on to be 11B) because I have had a lifelong habit of treating people how I want to be treated. Edited by LINKS2K

So, were these new in the wrapper magazines, or beat up nasty ready for DRMO magazines? Are they accountable items? When worn out, are they XB3 (disposable?) and who decides? Is this straight out theft of new stock -- or is it bad or sloppy disposition of worn-out stuff?

Just asking.

I'm not attempting to be a butt hole, but it doesn't matter if the were old or not. The mags are government property.
  • Like 2

All the sories i can tell of MP's that have done extreamly stupid stuff,  It happens people.  It happens in every MOS some alot more than the MP Corp.  The difference is the amount of news it generates.  Any other MOS and it is likely that what their job is wouldnt of even been brought up. 

Thats not saying that they dont deserve to be held accountable for their stupidity.

USCavscout,  its very rare that you find an MP that thinks they are above the law.  Typicall MP units are stricter and hold their own accountable more often than other MOS's

• Like 1

All the sories i can tell of MP's that have done extreamly stupid stuff,  It happens people.  It happens in every MOS some alot more than the MP Corp.  The difference is the amount of news it generates.  Any other MOS and it is likely that what their job is wouldnt of even been brought up. 

Ugh, now I feel guilty for talking sh**.

I'm not attempting to be a butt hole, but it doesn't matter if the were old or not. The mags are government property.

So is the 100 year old WWII Vintage Colt 1911 with "Government Property" on the slide.

The question remains, what was the condition of the property and the circumstances of it diversion? Were they fresh in the crate coming out of a locked storage area? Where they on some unit's Property Book? Were they found in a torn box behind the dumpster?

It will all matter at the Court Martial. It is a Commander's question, a Prosecution Question, and a Defense Question. It becomes part of the case and can lead to Mitigation and Extenuation.

The circumstances always matter, even in an Army that tries to look at everything in Black and White.

I have time as an active duty MP and time in the guard as a MP. Active Duty was the experience of a lifetime to see stupidity amongst all MOS's. Of course I have seen MP's get stupid, I have seen them all. I can see it now, these guys thought that no one knew those magazines were there and that no one would miss them. I am not saying it is was right and I would not have taken them, but I have known plenty of supply Sgts say they don't know what to do with" x" item, I am not supposed to have those, go throw these away in your trunk. The military has a redicilous way of wanting/not wanting some items. I have said it for years, I wished the military would just pay us less and give us all the equipment. It would have made life so much easier. Obviously firearms would/should be heavily accountable.

However, the likely hood that this was just plain theft is very likely. Edited by Patton