carrying without a permit

thinking to myself and was wondering if a lot of people will do, wither because they don't want to go through the trouble of getting the permit, or they don't want the state, feds etc to know all their business?  The bad guys do and don't care but I was wondering how many good guys do because of the above reasons, or some other reason, and what the consequences are. 

Ron

its really pretty simple : criminals carry without a permit ----- law abiding citizens carry with a permit

criminals who get caught go to jail ---- law abiding citizens who get caught go home

there's no good reason to carry without a permit, the government already knows all there is to know about you

• Like 1
I'm not condoning it or saying I do it or would do it. But I can understand people who do it because they are sick and tired of paying to exercise a Constitutional right. This state has no clue what true firearms freedom is. I'm sick and tired of paying $115 to the state and $60 to someone who may or may not know as much or more than me about firearms, firearms safety and carry laws.

Sent from the backwoods of Nowhere

• Like 6

It's pretty simple to me.  A criminal is someone who carry's without a permit no matter their reasons.  There are a lot of things I don't agree with in the government, but this isn't one of them I am going to get in a pissing contest about.  At least not yet anyway.

• Like 1

I new in advance that no one would admit that they do without a permit,  but as hammer swinger indicated to some the fees and intrusion in to some ones life seems to be going a little over board with the government these days.  As an example having been a Viet Nam era Vet, a former union worker and democrat I never thought I would change my thoughts or beliefs, but due to the current administration I have changed a lot of my thinking and will be changing my party affiliation.  Now being that I am gong to be turning 60 in August I never had any problems in my life until 6 years ago when my youngest son and his wife were sponging off of my wife and I that I had to ask them to leave our home.  No mind you this all took place in California, we have since moved here and just recently, but when I asked my son to leave things got a bit ugly and I was arrested for obstructing a police officer which is a misdemeanor in the state of California.  the state of Tennessee has denied my request for a permit because of that.  Now as I mentioned I am turning 60 soon and had to retire early due to a bad back and a bad ticker.  I am going to send the proper forms off to Cali to ask that the court now dismiss the case, but should they decide not to I am SOL, and keep pondering the what if. 

I guess you just do what you think is right.....

Dave S

This is what it boils down too. You have to do what you think is right. If you do, be ready to face the consquences of getting caught with it.

I'm not condoning it or saying I do it or would do it. But I can understand people who do it because they are sick and tired of paying to exercise a Constitutional right. This state has no clue what true firearms freedom is. I'm sick and tired of paying $115 to the state and $60 to someone who may or may not know as much or more than me about firearms, firearms safety and carry laws.

You pay 115 once and I think 50 to renew three years later.

No mind you this all took place in California, we have since moved here and just recently, but when I asked my son to leave things got a bit ugly and I was arrested for obstructing a police officer which is a misdemeanor in the state of California.  the state of Tennessee has denied my request for a permit because of that. 

Unlawful carry in public in TN is a Class A misdemeanor,  up to 11/29 in jail and/or fine up to $2500.

You actually took the course, did the application, and then was denied? And they specifically informed you that was the reason?

That particular  misdemeanor charge (or conviction) in Kali is not a disqualifer for a TN permit, must be something else going on. Perhaps it was because there is no final record of that case being settled?

- OS

You pay 115 once and I think 50 to renew three years later.

Yeah but its still $115 plus a $50 class from someone who may or may not be as qualified as the people they are teaching, all to exercise a Constitutional right. Then if you want to keep exercising your right its $50 every 4 years. How would people feel if you had to take a class and pay a tax to exercise your right to free speech? Or any other rights?. Like I said Im not condoning it, but I understand it.

• Like 4

I'll admit to it.  

Before Tennessee had a permit system, I carried regularly.  I hurt no one and broke no other laws and no one was the wiser.  After TN instituted a permit system, circa 1993-'94, it was (iirc) a PITA to conform (honestly, I don't remember the specifics, but maybe someone can remind me) that I still didn't get a permit.  Around '97-'98, TN changed the law again and made it much easier to get a permit.  So, in 1998, my (future) wife and I took a class (Buford Tune in Nashville.  What a character!) and got our permits.  

I still don't believe that I need permission from the state to exercise my right to self-defense, and if the permit law were repealed tomorrow, I would still carry.  And (apart from this post) neither you nor the popo would have any idea.  I would be much more concerned with concealment than I am right now.  Just as I was before 1998.  

I got my permit despite any worries about being on a "list".  Like someone said in a different thread, if I'm not on a list already, somebody's not doing their job.

• Like 3

Before permits, I carried when I thought I needed to. So did a lot of other folks I knew.

Me too. But kept one in the car most all the time, even all the years I worked at UT.

'Course I carried a large folder there all those years too, and wasn't a secret or anything, used it in plain sight lots of times. Didn't really know it the knife was a no no under state law, tell ya the truth. 'Course, it might have fit under the exception of job use if push ever came to shove I reckon.

- OS

• Like 1

Me too. But kept one in the car most all the time, even all the years I worked at UT.

'Course I carried a large folder there all those years too, and wasn't a secret or anything, used it in plain sight lots of times. Didn't really know it the knife was a no no under state law, tell ya the truth. 'Course, it might have fit under the exception of job use if push ever came to shove I reckon.

- OS

It never bothered any of the cops I knew either. 

Tennessee, is giving me the opportunity to obtain paperwork from Cali, to show the disposition of the case. I am going to be doing that, so I guess that it could be said that they are giving me the opportunity to still get the permit. One saving grace is that my wife and I took the class together and passed, so we will be applying for her permit, once I get a final decision on my case I will then determine how to go forward with carrying or not. As my wife and are just talking we wouldn't want to be on the short end of a deal in the event of some unforeseen circumstance, especially if it involved our grandchildren if it were to occur while they were with us.

Thanks for all of your honest opinions, and hopefully there will more still to come.
Guest PapaB

Tennessee, is giving me the opportunity to obtain paperwork from Cali, to show the disposition of the case. I am going to be doing that, so I guess that it could be said that they are giving me the opportunity to still get the permit. One saving grace is that my wife and I took the class together and passed, so we will be applying for her permit, once I get a final decision on my case I will then determine how to go forward with carrying or not. As my wife and are just talking we wouldn't want to be on the short end of a deal in the event of some unforeseen circumstance, especially if it involved our grandchildren if it were to occur while they were with us.

Thanks for all of your honest opinions, and hopefully there will more still to come.

In the meantime, don't forget you don't need a permit to carry on property you own, rent or lease.

We really need to change to the law to force TDOS to have the burden of proof in disqualifying permit applications...  We're paying the state $115 for their make work project, the least they can do is run around and track down all the paperwork to prove an item on the background check is disqualifying or not.

I'm curious if somebody could challenge this denial in court?  Technically TDOS has no proof of a disqualifying event under 39-17-13xx so they have 90 days to issue the permit under state law, I doubt there is any case law on the subject, but if we could get a ruling against TDOS it might make things a lot easier for others down the road.

Edited by JayC

Our current permit system is not a bad thing...I'd love to have "Constitutional Carry" in Tennessee (in addition to the HCP) and I actually believe that some day we will. However, having the HCP process has been a significant help (provided political capital) that has gotten some of our other TN firearm related laws improved/restrictions removed.

I'm not sure how many carry without a permit anyway, whatever their reasons, but I think they are purring themselves in what could become a very difficult situation by doing so.

Those who carry firearms need to be law-abiding people, not criminals.  If we are law-abiding then we ought to obey ALL laws; at least until we get them changed using the processes we have in place to get things changed.

Guest 270win

I knew a lot of people that carried a handgun without a license, especially retired individuals.  Up until recently, the cops kind of looked the other way as long as you weren't a trouble maker.  I knew folks that kept targets in their trucks and ear muffs because in AR it is a crime to carry/have in vehicle a handgun with intent to use it against a person.  There were exceptions to this, like hunters going to and from hunting (no the handgun does not have to be unloaded) or people on a journey.  A friend's dad worked in a bad area and kept a 44 mag in his truck door for 'hunting'.  Game and Fish legal handgun there just required a 4 inch barrel and hogs are always in season.  I knew and still people who always had a plan to be heading out of town when carrying a handgun to be 'on a journey' if in the odd case they were searched.  Some folks kept or still keep rifles and shotguns loaded in vehicles because those aren't even weapons there.

It probably causes you a lot less hassle now to have a permit because I have heard recently of a few people (not real criminals) having to hire attorneys to get weapons charges dropped, even when they are in the right.

Edited by 270win

I understand Constitutional carry but TN is a shall issue state and pretty dern easy to get a permit

I don't think spending a little money to get one and be legal is a bad idea, also seeing how TN permit is recognized by all the states touching it and many others I think that's worth the price of admission right there.

Didn't TN law get changed? Didn't it used to be that if you used a weapon in place that you weren't supposed to have you wouldn't be charged for illegal carry but later got reworded so that you possibly.

Edited by Daps