carrying without a permit

I understand Constitutional carry but TN is a shall issue state and pretty dern easy to get a permit

I don't think spending a little money to get one and be legal is a bad idea, also seeing how TN permit is recognized by all the states touching it and mini others I think that's worth the price of admission right there.

Didn't TN law get changed? Didn't it used to be that if you used a weapon in place that you weren't supposed to have you wouldn't be charged for illegal carry but later got reworded.

You can and the TFA is advocating both Constitutional and the HCP process.  One does not need to preclude the other.  I would never get rid of my HCP because it allows me to carry legally in some 37 other states. The point of Constitutional carry is that a person shouldn't need the state's permission to bear arms; at least not if he stays withing that state's borders. :)

As I understand TN law, if you are carrying, even without a permit and you use deadly force to defend yourself, you will not be charged with illegally going armed (assuming you were justified in using deadly force).

You can and the TFA is advocating both Constitutional and the HCP process.  One does not need to preclude the other.  I would never get rid of my HCP because it allows me to carry legally in some 37 other states. The point of Constitutional carry is that a person shouldn't need the state's permission to bear arms; at least not if he stays withing that state's borders. :)

As I understand TN law, if you are carrying, even without a permit and you use deadly force to defend yourself, you will not be charged with illegally going armed (assuming you were justified in using deadly force).

Ok Maybe I'm thinking about just trespassing and carrying. Still as easy as it is now to get a HCP in TN. Like you said 37 states you can carry in makes the price worth it.

Guest 270win

We are lucky that a permit here only costs fifty bucks every four years and do not have to requal on the range and take a refresher class.

I would rather concentrate on getting the few restrictions left dropped for those with permits than to try to get permit free carry.

From past experience, it's much easier and cheaper to get a permit, than to pay the legal expenses for not having it. :-\

Actually the class and permit in TN costs me more than the court expenses for carrying w/o permit in TX.  I know I would not be likely to be that fortunate if it happened again.

Edited by tnhawk
  • 2 weeks later...
another twist in the saga in the attempt to get my permit. I sent in the paperwork that the state wanted however when I checked the website today, it indicated that my finger prints were rejected, so I need to find out what is up with that, maybe someone here has some input on that.

thanks

Ron

another twist in the saga in the attempt to get my permit. I sent in the paperwork that the state wanted however when I checked the website today, it indicated that my finger prints were rejected, so I need to find out what is up with that, maybe someone here has some input on that.

thanks

Ron

Were they electronically done, like at a UPS store or wherever? Those usually work well. If on paper, not so good sometimes.

At any rate, almost certainly a bad job of some sort they wouldn't accept.

Your HCP application fee pays for them, so it shouldn't cost you anything to get them done again soon as you get procedure how to do it.

Once you finally get your permit, I think you should get a 14K gold liner to keep it in, as much hassle as it has been so far.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

Don't pay for it to be done again, TDOS has already missed the 90 day mark, it should be on them to provide you a location to get fingerprinted without you being charged money.

They were done electronically at a security firm here in Clarksville, so I guess I will have to look in to getting them done again.

Taken with a grain of salt (as I don't have first-hand experience), I've heard that a side-benefit of having a permit is that it might start you off in better standing with an officer if you're detained for questioning on something. The rational given was that an officer can quickly determine that you're an upstanding citizen with no felonies or other major criminal issues. If it's a situation where the officer has discretion, they might decide to give you a verbal warning instead of a citation.

Taken with a grain of salt (as I don't have first-hand experience), I've heard that a side-benefit of having a permit is that it might start you off in better standing with an officer if you're detained for questioning on something. The rational given was that an officer can quickly determine that you're an upstanding citizen with no felonies or other major criminal issues. If it's a situation where the officer has discretion, they might decide to give you a verbal warning instead of a citation.

From first-hand experience - if you're questioned by an officer, while carrying without a permit, it won't go well.
You will be arrested and charged for the violation.

I wouldn't assume that an HCP holder is automatically a "good guy" if I were an LEO. The HCP only proves at the moment it was issued you were "ok". Anything can happen after its issuance is

Add in that LEOs are people too with their own varying opinions, and you'll find that some don't like non-LEOs having permits.I doubt that's as common as the pro-permit LEO opinion, but you never know the personal opinion of the person that pulled you over.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 1

You will be arrested and charged for the violation.

Maybe. Might only be issued a summons, especially if it's Class C violation.

Gun will be taken in any case, though.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1
I know many good people with guns in thier cars loaded ready to go. But they have no permits. These people have never been arrested for anything serious. Some not at all.

Theres more out there than you think.
  • Like 1

And until something DOES happen ...nothing is going to happen.

Just because some other people drive around with a metric ton of marijuana, an unregistered machine gun and dead hookers  in THEIR car and never got caught does not mean it is a good idea for YOU to drive around with a metric ton of marijuana, an unregistered machine gun and dead hookers in YOUR car. It is still illegal and if you get caught with it the odds are absolutely overwhelming that you will end up with a criminal record and all the problems that brings with it..... 

Having said that, just remember ...in the real world you are still free to do ANYTHING you want....but Big Boy Rules apply. ANYTHING you choose to do can be done....but there are consequences. 

If you do it you have to be prepared to deal with the consequences...both the intended and unintended. Twenty years ago a cop in a rural area MIGHT give you the benefit of the doubt if found with a loaded gun and no permit.....but NOW, with the comparatively easy process to get "permission" from the state , anyone WITHOUT a permit carrying a loaded gun is looked at as a criminal first and will have a hard time avoiding the problems that come with that. 

Do what you wish....but be prepared for the worst. 

• Like 1
I fail to see any good reason to carry without a permit, under the current laws. The risk of fines and jail/prison time outweigh the expense and time necessary to obtain and legallay carry. In the event I find it necessary to defend myself with a weapon, I'd prefer to stand before the judge and jury as a law abiding citizen instead of as one who ignores the laws.
Guest Emtdaddy1980

And until something DOES happen ...nothing is going to happen.

Just because some other people drive around with a metric ton of marijuana, an unregistered machine gun and dead hookers in THEIR car and never got caught does not mean it is a good idea for YOU to drive around with a metric ton of marijuana, an unregistered machine gun and dead hookers in YOUR car. It is still illegal and if you get caught with it the odds are absolutely overwhelming that you will end up with a criminal record and all the problems that brings with it.....

Having said that, just remember ...in the real world you are still free to do ANYTHING you want....but Big Boy Rules apply. ANYTHING you choose to do can be done....but there are consequences.

If you do it you have to be prepared to deal with the consequences...both the intended and unintended. Twenty years ago a cop in a rural area MIGHT give you the benefit of the doubt if found with a loaded gun and no permit.....but NOW, with the comparatively easy process to get "permission" from the state , anyone WITHOUT a permit carrying a loaded gun is looked at as a criminal first and will have a hard time avoiding the problems that come with that.

Do what you wish....but be prepared for the worst.

^^^^_ THIS +1
I've always tried to drill into my sons heads how important it is for your marijuana to be sub distribution weights, your machine guns legally registered and your STILL BREATHING hookers to be properly seated and restrained in accordance with the seatbelt laws.

I new in advance that no one would admit that they do without a permit,  but as hammer swinger indicated to some the fees and intrusion in to some ones life seems to be going a little over board with the government these days.  As an example having been a Viet Nam era Vet, a former union worker and democrat I never thought I would change my thoughts or beliefs, but due to the current administration I have changed a lot of my thinking and will be changing my party affiliation.  

Considering that you are on the receiving end of policies back by Republicans and Democrats, perhaps the Libertarian Party would be worth a look.

However, to your original question, yes, people carry without a permit, and many people with permits carry in places they know they are not legally allowed to do so.  When government passes a law, it's only as good as the willingness of people to follow it, the ability and willingness of police to enforce it, and the willingness and ability of the court to prosecute it.  When government passes laws that many see as unjust (as a friend of mine stated in a post on a political blog we have, justice and legality are not necessarily the same thing) people will be far more likely to choose to ignore it.  As a disclaimer, I'm not suggesting that is necessarily a wise or legitimate way to handle it, but that is reality.

• Like 1