Weed, fights and guns: Trayvon Martin’s text messages released

mh_logo_print.gif

Posted on Thu, May. 23, 2013

By Marc Caputo
mcaputo@MiamiHerald.com

8OXz3.Em.56.jpeg
Trayvon Martin

In the months and days before his shooting death, Trayvon Martin was getting into fights, getting high on marijuana, getting suspended from school and talking with friends about getting a gun, according to cellphone text messages that defense lawyers for shooter George Zimmerman released Thursday.

Trayvon’s chronically misspelled, slang-filled messages — as well as pictures of a semi-automatic pistol, marijuana plants and Trayvon flipping his middle fingers — are all part of Zimmerman’s defense plan to put the Miami Gardens 17-year-old posthumously on trial.

“So you just turning into a lil hoodlum,” one friend, whose name has been withheld, texted Trayvon.

Trayvon replied: “No not at all.”

At one point, Trayvon joked that the friend was “soft.”

“Boy don’t get one planted in ya chest,” the friend joked back.

The message, a likely reference to being shot, eerily foreshadowed Trayvon’s fate three months later.

On the rainy evening of Feb. 26, 2012, Zimmerman fatally shot Trayvon at an apartment complex in Sanford, near Orlando, where the Miami Gardens teen was sent to live with his dad to get back on track.

That night, Trayvon was returning from a convenience store where he had just bought a pack of Skittles and some iced tea. Zimmerman said he believed the young man in the hoodie sweatshirt was up to no good.

No one witnessed who threw the first punch at whom or why.

But soon Trayvon was dead from a Sig Sauer (sic)  [Kel-Tec] gunshot wound, Zimmerman was in police custody and the nation began debating Florida’s deadly force law known as “Stand Your Ground.”

The law offers protections for some shooters in public places, but Zimmerman was still charged with second-degree murder by a special prosecutor appointed by Gov. Rick Scott. Zimmerman is pleading self-defense, and said Trayvon attacked him.

His trial is scheduled for June 10.

Though Zimmerman might not take the stand, his statements given to police and his 911 calls on the night of the shooting are major pieces of evidence. His defense lawyers hope to counter with Trayvon’s text messages and his troubled record at school.

A Central Florida judge must now decide whether the evidence is relevant to the case. The prosecution and Trayvon’s family say it isn’t.

Benjamin Crump, the attorney for Trayvon’s family, said in a written statement that the defense was displaying “stereotypical and close-minded thinking” in signaling that it planned to use Trayvon’s messages and photos, including pictures of him blowing smoke and showing off gold teeth.

“The only photos or videos that are relevant or admissible at trial are those of Trayvon taken the day he was shot and killed by George Zimmerman,” Crump said. “There is no evidence that Trayvon either had gold teeth nor gave anybody the finger the night he was shot and killed. Therefore those pictures are irrelevant and will not be admitted into evidence.”

The text messages, some of which are redacted, do not make clear whom Trayvon was talking to at different times. Sometimes it appears he was joking with a friend, other times with a girlfriend and, in at least one instance, with his father.

Some of the earliest text messages date back to early November 2011, in which Trayvon, a junior at Dr. Michael M. Krop Senior High School in North Miami-Dade, indicates he was suspended from school for being in a fistfight.

Later in the month, on the 21st, he exchanged messages with at least one friend about an after-school fight.

One of Trayvon’s cellphone pictures shows two teens about to square off against one another as a third stands in the middle like a referee. Trayvon said he fought a rival who “snitched on me.”

Trayvon: “I lost da 1st round :) but won da 2nd nd 3rd.”

Friend: “Ohhh So It Wass 3 Rounds? Damn well at least yu wonn lol but yuu needa stop fighting.”

Trayvon: “Nay im not done with fool….. he gone hav 2 see me again.”

Friend: “Nooo… Stop, yuu waint gonn bee satisified till yuh suspended again, huh?”

Trayvon told another friend at the time that his mother wanted him to move in with his dad after he was suspended.

“Da police caught me outta skool,” Trayvon wrote.

Months later, Trayvon appeared to get into trouble again, but suggested on Jan. 6, 2012, that he was an innocent bystander: “‘I was watcn a fight nd a teacher say I hit em.” The following month he complained he got in trouble for something “I didn’t do.”

In between these messages, he appears to flirt with a girl and talk extensively about smoking marijuana, or “kush.” One friend called him a “WEEDHEAD.”

Trayvon’s troubles appeared to get worse and, on Feb. 13, he explained to a friend that he was serving “10 dayz” of suspension.

Five days later, he repeatedly appears to inquire about a gun with a friend: “U got heat??” Hours later he was asked by text: “You want a 22 revolver?” The friend who sent the message said it was bought by “my mommy.”

On Feb. 21, Trayvon appeared to be heading to Sanford to live with his father. But he hadn’t lost interest in guns.

“U wanna share a .380?” he asked one friend.

Hours after that, someone who appears to be his father sent him text messages about staying in Sanford.

“Show much respect to [redacted] and adjust to my Lady & [redacted]. Show them that you a good kid and you want positive things around you,” his father, Tracy Martin, wrote to Trayvon.

A minute later he followed up: “Be a big brother and not a DONKEY … …LOVE DAD.”

Edited by QuietDan
  • Like 1

mh_logo_print.gif

Posted on Thu, May. 23, 2013

By Marc Caputomcaputo@MiamiHerald.com

8OXz3.Em.56.jpeg
Trayvon Martin

In the months and days before his shooting death, Trayvon Martin was getting into fights, getting high on marijuana, getting suspended from school and talking with friends about getting a gun, according to cellphone text messages that defense lawyers for shooter George Zimmerman released Thursday.

Trayvon’s chronically misspelled, slang-filled messages — as well as pictures of a semi-automatic pistol, marijuana plants and Trayvon flipping his middle fingers — are all part of Zimmerman’s defense plan to put the Miami Gardens 17-year-old posthumously on trial.

“So you just turning into a lil hoodlum,” one friend, whose name has been withheld, texted Trayvon.

Trayvon replied: “No not at all.”

At one point, Trayvon joked that the friend was “soft.”

“Boy don’t get one planted in ya chest,” the friend joked back.

The message, a likely reference to being shot, eerily foreshadowed Trayvon’s fate three months later.

On the rainy evening of Feb. 26, 2012, Zimmerman fatally shot Trayvon at an apartment complex in Sanford, near Orlando, where the Miami Gardens teen was sent to live with his dad to get back on track.

That night, Trayvon was returning from a convenience store where he had just bought a pack of Skittles and some iced tea. Zimmerman said he believed the young man in the hoodie sweatshirt was up to no good.

No one witnessed who threw the first punch at whom or why.

But soon Trayvon was dead from a Sig Sauer (sic)  [Kel-Tec] gunshot wound, Zimmerman was in police custody and the nation began debating Florida’s deadly force law known as “Stand Your Ground.”

The law offers protections for some shooters in public places, but Zimmerman was still charged with second-degree murder by a special prosecutor appointed by Gov. Rick Scott. Zimmerman is pleading self-defense, and said Trayvon attacked him.

His trial is scheduled for June 10.

Though Zimmerman might not take the stand, his statements given to police and his 911 calls on the night of the shooting are major pieces of evidence. His defense lawyers hope to counter with Trayvon’s text messages and his troubled record at school.

A Central Florida judge must now decide whether the evidence is relevant to the case. The prosecution and Trayvon’s family say it isn’t.

Benjamin Crump, the attorney for Trayvon’s family, said in a written statement that the defense was displaying “stereotypical and close-minded thinking” in signaling that it planned to use Trayvon’s messages and photos, including pictures of him blowing smoke and showing off gold teeth.

“The only photos or videos that are relevant or admissible at trial are those of Trayvon taken the day he was shot and killed by George Zimmerman,” Crump said. “There is no evidence that Trayvon either had gold teeth nor gave anybody the finger the night he was shot and killed. Therefore those pictures are irrelevant and will not be admitted into evidence.”

The text messages, some of which are redacted, do not make clear whom Trayvon was talking to at different times. Sometimes it appears he was joking with a friend, other times with a girlfriend and, in at least one instance, with his father.

Some of the earliest text messages date back to early November 2011, in which Trayvon, a junior at Dr. Michael M. Krop Senior High School in North Miami-Dade, indicates he was suspended from school for being in a fistfight.

Later in the month, on the 21st, he exchanged messages with at least one friend about an after-school fight.

One of Trayvon’s cellphone pictures shows two teens about to square off against one another as a third stands in the middle like a referee. Trayvon said he fought a rival who “snitched on me.”

Trayvon: “I lost da 1st round :) but won da 2nd nd 3rd.”

Friend: “Ohhh So It Wass 3 Rounds? Damn well at least yu wonn lol but yuu needa stop fighting.”

Trayvon: “Nay im not done with fool….. he gone hav 2 see me again.”

Friend: “Nooo… Stop, yuu waint gonn bee satisified till yuh suspended again, huh?”

Trayvon told another friend at the time that his mother wanted him to move in with his dad after he was suspended.

“Da police caught me outta skool,” Trayvon wrote.

Months later, Trayvon appeared to get into trouble again, but suggested on Jan. 6, 2012, that he was an innocent bystander: “‘I was watcn a fight nd a teacher say I hit em.” The following month he complained he got in trouble for something “I didn’t do.”

In between these messages, he appears to flirt with a girl and talk extensively about smoking marijuana, or “kush.” One friend called him a “WEEDHEAD.”

Trayvon’s troubles appeared to get worse and, on Feb. 13, he explained to a friend that he was serving “10 dayz” of suspension.

Five days later, he repeatedly appears to inquire about a gun with a friend: “U got heat??” Hours later he was asked by text: “You want a 22 revolver?” The friend who sent the message said it was bought by “my mommy.”

On Feb. 21, Trayvon appeared to be heading to Sanford to live with his father. But he hadn’t lost interest in guns.
“U wanna share a .380?” he asked one friend.

Hours after that, someone who appears to be his father sent him text messages about staying in Sanford.

“Show much respect to [redacted] and adjust to my Lady & [redacted]. Show them that you a good kid and you want positive things around you,” his father, Tracy Martin, wrote to Trayvon.

A minute later he followed up: “Be a big brother and not a DONKEY … …LOVE DAD.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/05/23/v-print/3413343/weed-fights-and-guns-trayvon-text.html#storylink=cpy

Good read. Now, go and post about Zimmermans brushes with the law. We wouldn't want people to think that he was an angel. I know that a lot of you guys are perfect and have raised perfect children. I don't condone Martins teenaged behavior, but I also won't say that he couldn't have become a solid citizen because of his actions as a teen. I exibited similar behavior as a teen. Later, I shook the cobwebs off, got somewhat educated, served this country in combat and now I'm trying to raise my kids to be solid citizens.

I've stated before that some of you are trying to apply adult logic to a teens thought process. That would be crazier than Martin thinking that it was a good idea to double back and confront Zimmerman. Remember that there was only one adult at the scene of the crime.

Finally, it was good to see the text from Martins father. It shows that despite their circumstances, maybe someone did love the young man and had at one point attempted to raise him properly. We can't control our kids behavior 24 hours a day.
  • Like 3
Many here would be livid if someone brought up the fact that a gun owner involved in a shooting had smoked pot or talked to their friends about guns. But it seems okay to make those accusations about a murder victim.

It’s okay though; open the doors and let the mudslinging begin. Many more people will be able to identify with someone that smoked pot or talked about guns than someone that attacked a Police Officer and had an order of protection taken out against him by his girlfriend because of domestic violence.

If character assassination becomes an issue in this trial those facts coupled with Zimmerman’s perjury will destroy him.
  • Like 3
Your absolutely right Link, we'll never know if Trayvon would have eventually turned his life around or if he would have ended up bieng in/out of prison.

All we know is that he was a "troubled teen" who seemingly had embraced the thug lifestyle and despite the warnings of friends/family continued to misbehave.

As his friend had predicted, Trayvon's out of control behavior did indeed earn him "one in the chest", so Trayvon was well aware of the potential consequences of the path he had chosen, and because it was his brutal assault which forced Zimmerman to end his young life, I am having a difficult time feeling any sort of sympathy for him.

I'd probably had felt some sympathy for his parents had they not turned this tragic event into a racial circus, grieving is one thing, blaming "whitey" because you couldn't control your kid is another.
  • Like 3

Yep, he's never been in trouble before. That should help his case.

Are you being sarcastic or serious DAVES? I'm sort of thinking sarcastic given you voluminous statements about Zimmerman's guilt in other threads.

Then, of course, there is this one you made that makes it sound as if you want Zimmerman's life to be a living hell until one of the Black Panthers knocks him off....

...I personally hope Zman gets off the hook. I also hope he gets sued for millions for "wrongful death" and the dude (cowboy) cop wanna be, will never get to live a normal life. There are "hits' on him and he will always be looking over his shoulder and watching the shadows for the rest of his life. The jury can render a verdict of "innocent" and he'll pay for his stupidity for the rest of his life (how ever long that will last).

Edited by RobertNashville

I've stated before that some of you are trying to apply adult logic to a teens thought process. That would be crazier than Martin thinking that it was a good idea to double back and confront Zimmerman. Remember that there was only one adult at the scene of the crime.

I really don't care what his thought processes were that night...he was playing an adult game and he won an adult prize. The only things that actually matters are...

1) whether Zimmerman did or was doing anything illegal and/or that justified Martin's attack, and

2) whether Martin's attack was sufficient to justify.

If Zimmerman acted illegally or gave Martin sufficient reason to launch an assault on Zimmerman then Zimmerman can't use SD as an affirmative defense. However, if Zimmerman didn't do either of those things then the only remaining question is whether Martin's assault on Zimmerman was sufficient to justify Zimmerman using deadly force...all rest is immaterial.

Finally, it was good to see the text from Martins father. It shows that despite their circumstances, maybe someone did love the young man and had at one point attempted to raise him properly. We can't control our kids behavior 24 hours a day.

I'm sure one or both of Martin's parents "loved" him; they may have even tried to "raise him properly" but I don't really care; all I care about is what I stated above.

• Like 1

Impossible! There is no way this kid could be involved in that stuff

trayvon-martin-grad.jpg

^^^THIS KID wasn't involved in all that stuff.

However, it wasn't that ^^^ kid who attacked Zimmerman that night (even though Trayvon's parents, Jessie Jackson, Al Sharpton and the Black Panthers want us to believe it was ^^^that kid that that Zimmerman killed).  ;)

While most of us found ourselves involved in situations as children that we wouldn't dare put ourselves in at this point in our lives, I continually tell my teenage daughter that there can still be real life consequences to our actions, no matter our age. Though most will end up with little more than a grounding or a slap on the wrist for their actions, some children do make choices which result in paying the ultimate price. Sadly, it appears Martin was one of them. Some pay the ultimate price by surfing on the hood of a vehicle that's traveling at 60 miles per hour, or other's may decide to drink and drive. It appears Martin chose to physically assault an armed man. 

Edited by TripleDigitRide

Your absolutely right Link, we'll never know if Trayvon would have eventually turned his life around or if he would have ended up bieng in/out of prison.
All we know is that he was a "troubled teen" who seemingly had embraced the thug lifestyle and despite the warnings of friends/family continued to misbehave.
As his friend had predicted, Trayvon's out of control behavior did indeed earn him "one in the chest", so Trayvon was well aware of the potential consequences of the path he had chosen, and because it was his brutal assault which forced Zimmerman to end his young life, I am having a difficult time feeling any sort of sympathy for him.
I'd probably had felt some sympathy for his parents had they not turned this tragic event into a racial circus, grieving is one thing, blaming "whitey" because you couldn't control your kid is another.

Good points, but I don't blame his parents for bringing in JJ and Sharpton. They felt like their sons case was being discarded and knew that these two self absorbed idiots would bring attention to the case. Good move in my opinion.
  • Like 3

Good points, but I don't blame his parents for bringing in JJ and Sharpton. They felt like their sons case was being discarded and knew that these two self absorbed idiots would bring attention to the case. Good move in my opinion.

I agree. I would have called whoever I needed to call to get justice if someone murdered my son. George Zimmerman is standing trial because some citizens did not agree with the DA’s decisions. They went to higher authorities who decided to bench him and put in a replacement. Both sides of this are yelling racism; and will be long after the verdict is read.

IMO what led this case to trial has little to do with race and a lot to do with citizens not standing for a bad call.

• Like 2

Good read. Now, go and post about Zimmermans brushes with the law. We wouldn't want people to think that he was an angel. I know that a lot of you guys are perfect and have raised perfect children. I don't condone Martins teenaged behavior, but I also won't say that he couldn't have become a solid citizen because of his actions as a teen. I exibited similar behavior as a teen. Later, I shook the cobwebs off, got somewhat educated, served this country in combat and now I'm trying to raise my kids to be solid citizens.

That caught my eye too. It doesn't matter how he would have turned out.

About a year after I got out of high school, a good friend of mine got shot in the face and died. He wasn't a bad guy at all, and would have turned out just fine in life. It doesn't matter. He deserved to get shot in the face for his actions at the time. His father, who I also knew very well, called it murder. The court didn't.

There was so much media bias on the front end of this case, I don't blame anybody for showing Trayvon's true colors. He probably wasn't really a hardened thug, but he also wasn't that baby faced kid that the media showed EVERYWHERE.

• Like 1

Are you being sarcastic or serious DAVES? I'm sort of thinking sarcastic given you voluminous statements about Zimmerman's guilt in other threads.

Then, of course, there is this one you made that makes it sound as if you want Zimmerman's life to be a living hell until one of the Black Panthers knocks him off....

Since ya'll like playing you tube videos for me, I'll play one for you;

Quite, Quite...he's going to speak....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKKmzmeU5-0

Now to answer your questions. I at least owe you that since you keep chasing me in everythread I post in;

Am I "serious", I don't know, am I?

As to question number one, you answer it. Because If I answer it, you'll only ask me to "proove it". So if you answer it, no proof is required.

As to question number two, I personally have never seen a "Black Panther", I hear that they can kill you. Si Robertson beleives in them...you may want to direct that question to him.

As to the next question, Yes, I hope Zman gets off the hook so he doesn't have to spend any jail time. Solitary confinement is no way to spend your time.

And the next question, Yes, I hope he gets sued for millions so he can pay the Martins and pay back the money to the neighborhood that got sued over his actions.

And the next, yes, there are hits out on him. I will not elaborate, don't ask me to.

And the last, no matter what verdict the jury renders...he's screwed!

See, now you have it!

Dave S

Edited by DaveS

I have a general question, more towards admitting the texts at trial.   Since the prosecutor has already brought up profiling TM and it is likely to be part of arguments in court, shouldn't the defense be allowed to show an accurate portrayal of TM so that the jury can decide for themselves whether Z-man was actually 1.  Profiling, and 2 if he was accurate in his assumptions that TM was likely up to no good.    

the prosecutor has to prove Z acted with a depraved mind to get to murder 2 was Zimmerman acting with a depraved mind if TM actually appeared to be up to no good.

I really don't care what his thought processes were that night...he was playing an adult game and he won an adult prize. The only things that actually matters are...1) whether Zimmerman did or was doing anything illegal and/or that justified Martin's attack, and2) whether Martin's attack was sufficient to justify.
If Zimmerman acted illegally or gave Martin sufficient reason to launch an assault on Zimmerman then Zimmerman can't use SD as an affirmative defense. However, if Zimmerman didn't do either of those things then the only remaining question is whether Martin's assault on Zimmerman was sufficient to justify Zimmerman using deadly force...all rest is immaterial.

I'm sure one or both of Martin's parents "loved" him; they may have even tried to "raise him properly" but I don't really care; all I care about is what I stated above.

That's refreshing. I hope that eventually we will all get to that point instead worrying about race and other trivial matters.
  • Like 1

Maybe the case was being discarded...maybe it should have been.Maybe the reason it was being discarded because the original DA (instead of the one they had to go shopping for) looked at the evidence and knew there was no crime that Zimmerman committed. ;)

Perhaps, but I would have called David Duke, JJ, Sharpton and Captain Kangaroo if I felt that an injustice was being done. I eagerly await the beginning of the trial.

There was so much media bias on the front end of this case, I don't blame anybody for showing Trayvon's true colors. He probably wasn't really a hardened thug, but he also wasn't that baby faced kid that the media showed EVERYWHERE.

And Zimmerman had quite the history as well, so I'm not going to buy that Martin was a thug who conspired to get whitey that night simply because he smoked pot and cursed a lot in text messages. Thank God there was no such thing as social media other than the bathroom wall when I was in high school or I'd be thrown under the jail by some of the folks here.

If we want to focus on Martin's past and attribute that to his guilt in committing an unprovoked assault, why would the following not be relevant:

1. Allegations of sexual abuse by a younger female in Zmmerman's own family.

2. Assertion from at least one family member that Zimmerman is extremely confrontational and violent.

3. The restraining order and accusations of domestic violence made by a former girlfriend.

4. Being arrested for assaulting a police officer (after confronting said officer for investigating one of his buddies for underage drinking).

5. Lying boldfaced to a judge in a courtroom, as we all watched on national television.

I realize that folks will individually explain away each and every one of those points. I also realize that sometimes folks make mistakes and sometimes folks get accused of things they didn't do. However, looking at the TOTALITY of these incidents tells me that there is either some truth that Zimmerman is an untrustworthy scumbag OR the world is just out to get him. There are some damn smart folks here. For you smart folks, think about the people you know who always find themselves in these types of situations and how it is ALWAYS somebody else's fault.

I realize none of these things make him guilty if murdering Martin, but they do provide an insight to his character, so anyone taking his story at face value is a fool.
  • Like 4

This is why the parents played the race card.

Trayvon Martin’s parents have settled a wrongful death claim with the homeowners association of the Retreat at Twin Lakes, the Florida housing complex where their son was shot and killed by neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman.

The undisclosed sum is believed to be more than $1 million, the Orlando Sentinel reported.

I have a general question, more towards admitting the texts at trial.   Since the prosecutor has already brought up profiling TM and it is likely to be part of arguments in court, shouldn't the defense be allowed to show an accurate portrayal of TM so that the jury can decide for themselves whether Z-man was actually 1.  Profiling, and 2 if he was accurate in his assumptions that TM was likely up to no good.    

the prosecutor has to prove Z acted with a depraved mind to get to murder 2 was Zimmerman acting with a depraved mind if TM actually appeared to be up to no good.

I understood the court said that TM's past was ilrelivant to him geting killed and couldn't be adressed during the opening statements. They have already said the 911 tapes and Zman's written statements hae been submitted in to evidence. Trayvon's and Zman's past will most likely get brought up though. Keep in mind also that there are many different types of "profiling", not just racial in which (my opinion only), Zman did not do.

Dave S

the prosecutor has to prove Z acted with a depraved mind to get to murder 2 was YouZimmerman acting with a depraved mind if TM actually appeared to be up to no good.

I have no problem with that as long as we get an accurate portrayal of who Zimmerman is.

Perhaps, but I would have called David Duke, JJ, Sharpton and Captain Kangaroo if I felt that an injustice was being done. I eagerly await the beginning of the trial.

I agree. If my child had been killed, I'd want justice too if applicable. I don't care how far I had to go or who's toes I had to step on. I would get my answers.... 

DS