Small cal / large cal, handgun / long gun

Guest The Itis

Most gun would be having a 50 cal, but I don't think anyone here has even suggested such a thing...

That's right, no one has which makes we wonder why you woruld bring it up other than to be ridiculous.  :shrug:

But, I sort of consider this whole question to be pretty ridicuulous; even more ridiculous that  you don't like that people aren't playing along by limiting themselves to your specific paramaters.  Perhaps somethng a bit more realistic would have generated better responses???

Realistic is that my "get home bag" will contain the weapons and ammunition I have with me every time I leave my home (which does not include a 50BMG)...my "bug out bag" should I be unfortunate enough that i hve to use it will likely include the exact same weapons and ammuniton with the addition of one fo the rifles/ammunition I have at home...that rifle won't be a 50BMG either and it won't be limited to only one additional firearm either.

Edited by RobertNashville

Not to mention a lack of 2 legged opposition. Imagine a whole city competing for the resources in the area surrounding it.

No one ever seems to acknowledge this.  Folks seem to think they can just go to the woods and live off deer meat in the event of a SHTF.  Well folks, you won't be the only one with that plan.  If SHTF you can bet that white tail will be extinct in a matter of months along with many other critters.  There's a lot more people in this country then there was when people were living off the land.  The reason so many folks survive right now is due to the way we are able to farm and transport chow.  If SHTF some folks will be watching endless seas of corn rot in the sun while other parts of the country are murdering each other over a kernel.  You think there will be anything on four legs left after a couple months of that?

Guest The Itis

That's right, no one has which makes we wonder why you woruld bring it up other than to be ridiculous.  :shrug:

You said you wanted the most gun. I showed that you didn't by saying most gun = 50 cal. Make sense yet?

No one ever seems to acknowledge this.  Folks seem to think they can just go to the woods and live off deer meat in the event of a SHTF.  Well folks, you won't be the only one with that plan.  If SHTF you can bet that white tail will be extinct in a matter of months along with many other critters.  There's a lot more people in this country then there was when people were living off the land.  The reason so many folks survive right now is due to the way we are able to farm and transport chow.  If SHTF some folks will be watching endless seas of corn rot in the sun while other parts of the country are murdering each other over a kernel.  You think there will be anything on four legs left after a couple months of that?

I think there would be a larger % of four legged critters still around then the two legged ones after a couple of months.

Guest The Itis

I'm the one being ridiculous...okay Mr ltis...if being purposely obtuse is your thing then go for it; at lest you seem to have a nack for it.

Funny, everything you're insulting me with really started with you. You say you wanted the most gun, I suggested that isn't actually the case. Unless you don't agree that a 50 cal would be more gun than anything smaller, then you effectively said you wanted a 50 cal, then turn around and say a 50 cal is ridiculous.
Obtuse is being unable to understand how you were wrong and instead turn to insults.

Saying you want the most gun is what is ridiculous, as you clearly disagree with yourself.

I dont want the most gun. I just want the most gun for the size and weight. And that sure aint gonna be .22 lr anything.

Tapatalk ate my spelling.

Guest The Itis

I dont want the most gun. I just want the most gun for the size and weight. And that sure aint gonna be .22 lr anything.

How about "most gun and ammo" for size and weight?

Guest The Itis

The most gun means the most effective tool for the task at hand. A .22 is not the most effective at survival, and neither is a .50.

Yes, this is articulated much better than simply saying "most gun."

How about "most gun and ammo" for size and weight?

How about most gun and ammo that is effective on any game larger than rabbit? A rifle is only a club without ammo. So when I say gun I automatically include ammo and mags. I also give thought to how many uses the firearm has and ballistics. So you can carry 500 .22lr shells, bu5 thats not gonna mean shit if you have to defend yourself against a determined attacker. Where as a combat load of 7 30 rd mags of 5.56 can make a hell of a difference.

Edited by Spots
  • Like 1
And just to add what I actually have in my bug out/72hr bag. A ruger 22/45 lite and 100rounds, a full size .45 pistol with 50 rounds and an AR in 5.56 with 5 loaded 30rd mags. AR doesnt stay in the bag. Plan to upgrade to a 6.8 AR soon and add suppressors for all. Covers every conceivable situation for me.

Im still trying to figure out why anyone would head for the woods instead of staying in the city. 

I live in a subdivision and theres no shortage of wild game if your up to eating a cat or a dog that is.  In fact id posit that i would likely stand a better chance right where im at. 

But more on to the OP's question if i find myself in a survival situation in the woods under his given peramiters and realistic would be 22 cal rifle and 9mm handgun.  This is more realistic than ideal.  As the only time im in the woods with a 22 is to hunt squirrel on occassion and i always carry a defensive pistol in 9mm on me so given his peramiters this is the only likely solution that would fit.

Ideal for me if it were a planned excursion into the woods for SHTF would be 300 blackout AR pistol and a 20 guage shotgun.  

My thinking was for guns that can shoot multiple calibers, then there is probably one of those calibers that is better than the others. For example, if you pack a revolver that does 357 and 38spl, why would you choose something like half and half instead of all 357?

I am not trying to join in the 'pile on The Itis' that seems to be going on.  However, as you did ask, there are actually a couple of very good, reasonable answers to your question.  Those answers are:

1. Because one could use 'downloaded' wadcutters and (if taking a shot on a stationary rabbit, for instance) likely take small game without destroying much of the meat.  Such would not be the case with full-bore .357.  On the other hand, those .357 rounds, from a long enough barrel and within a reasonable range, could also allow one to drop a deer pretty reliably using the same gun.  To me, those two points make .38/.357 more versatile and useful in a survival situation than a rimfire.  In fact, because of the versatility, one could carry a long gun and handgun that were both chambered in .38/.357, forget carrying any rimfire ammo and in so doing free up the space/weight that would have been allocated for rimfire ammor for carrying more .38/.357 ammo.  I have stated that ratshot does not turn your rifle/pistol into a shotgun but tossing four or five ratshot rounds into the mix could further increase utility.

2. Also of concern are noise levels.  Trust me when I say that even a standard pressure (i.e. not downloaded) .38 Special round is a whole lot quieter than a full-on, barn burner .357 Magnum round - and light loaded .38s are even quieter.  That is something to consider not only for possible small-game hunting purposes (as with the earlier post about not scaring all the small game away from the area) but also for self defense.  Chances are that someone who is bugging out won't necessarily be wearing their hearing protection.  While I wouldn't want to shoot .38 Specials at the range a whole lot without protecting my ears, I can say from experience (I tried it without hearing protection when shooting outside, once, just so I would know what to expect in a 'real world' defense scenario) that full-on .357 Magnum rounds out of a handgun make a lot of noise.  As in, the first round I fired hurt my ears and by the third I was actually becoming disoriented.  I am of the belief that a good .38 Special would work just fine for self defense while being easier on the shooter.  Using a rifle chambered in .357 instead of a handgun would probably help but rifle or handgun, given a choice I'd most likely use .38 Special for the majority of applications where it would be sufficient and reserve full-on .357 for situations where the extra 'oomph' would be needed.  That said, the option of using full-on .357 would be of great utility for those situations.

3. One more thing to consider is possible injury while 'on the trail'.  If my strong (right) hand were out of commission, I might have trouble reliably and accurately firing full-on .357 rounds from even a fairly heavy, four inch barreled .357 using a weak-hand only hold.  Standard .38 Special from the same gun in a weak hand hold, while I still probably wouldn't be doing my 'best' shooting, would be a whole lot more doable.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1

How about most gun and ammo that is effective on any game larger than rabbit? A rifle is only a club without ammo. So when I say gun I automatically include ammo and mags. I also give thought to how many uses the firearm has and ballistics. So you can carry 500 .22lr shells, bu5 thats not gonna mean #### if you have to defend yourself against a determined attacker. Where as a combat load of 7 30 rd mags of 5.56 can make a hell of a difference.

I'd use an AR but that tragic boating accident...

Funny, everything you're insulting me with really started with you. You say you wanted the most gun, I suggested that isn't actually the case. Unless you don't agree that a 50 cal would be more gun than anything smaller, then you effectively said you wanted a 50 cal, then turn around and say a 50 cal is ridiculous.
Obtuse is being unable to understand how you were wrong and instead turn to insults.

Well then sir, if that is the logic you are using, why stop at a 50caliber when there are more powerful weapons available?

Why not an M 249 SAW or M 240?  Actually forget that, how about a Stinger or two with some hand granades jsut for good measure.   Hell, forget the weapons you can carry, if you really want power, how about a Abrams?

Sorry if I'm not playing by your rules; then again, you chose to reply to a post not even directed at you and then take what I said to a Ridiculous extreme.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Guest The Itis

Well then sir, if that is the logic you are using, why stop at a 50caliber when there are more powerful weapons available?

Why not an M 249 SAW or M 240?  Actually forget that, how about a Stinger or two with some hand granades jsut for good measure.   Hell, forget the weapons you can carry, if you really want power, how about a Abrams?

Sorry if I'm not playing by your rules; then again, you chose to reply to a post not even directed at you and then take what I said to a Ridiculous extreme.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Because unlike you, I stay within the parameters of a handgun or rifle. "Most gun" that's still a gun or rifle would be 50 cal. Nothing you mentioned is a handgun or rifle. Go ahead and get more obtuse, and use all the laughing smilies you'd like, joke's been on you this whole time.

...Not trying to troll but what IS the purpose of this thread if half of the answers don't qualify somehow?...

Excellent question...as far as I can see, ,the purpose of this thread is trolling.  The OP's first post on his first day on the forum was post no. 1 of this thread and since time tame he's mostly complained because people are not giviing him the answers he wants.   :screwy:

• Like 3

Assuming ammo is already plentiful before SHTF I would go with my ar15 with 22 conversion kit to cover my bases for 223/556 and keep my Blachawk 9mm/38/357 for my pistol. Why? Easy, two guns, five extremely popular and effective calibers.
I win.

agree what you said +1 but for me it would be my EMP 40 and Springfield XDs 9mm for my pistols

Excellent question...as far as I can see, ,the purpose of this thread is trolling.  The OP's first post on his forst day on the forum was post no. 1 of this thread and since that tame he's mostly complained because people are giviing him the answers he wants.   :screwy:

We have a winner! :woohoo:

My knowledge of Nerf guns is about as relevant to the question as your knowledge of shotgun hunting.
If you get personally offended because you couldn't comprehend the question, then maybe you should hunt less and read more. :shake:

WOW jest WOW so mutch hostility where are your manners , what happen to respect for your fellow man . Some of us don't read that mutch and some like me can't even hardly spell , that does not mean where all stupid , I'm sure if he is a good hunter he will prob out last most of us , you never know you may need your fellow mans help one day , I would not try and burn bridges here . And don't take things so personal ,
  • Like 1