Small cal / large cal, handgun / long gun

Guest The Itis

Guest The Itis

I'm not a boorish old codger. Im actually a young, handsome, 25 yr old suave SOB :lol: . And I dont expect anyone to hang on to my everyword. But coming to an internet forum, asking a ridcuilous question with parameters geared towards feeling better about your choices, then cramming your fingers in your ears and humming when people with experience try to give you better options is dumb. You wanna see my honest opinion. You're an idiot troll whos only reason for being here is to stir #### up. You have already said your only firearm right now is a .22 lr target pistol, and theres nothing wrong with that. But you have the attitude that when your only tool is a hammer, every problem is a nail. Sadly one firearm doesnt fit every situation. So you can continue to ignore sound advice, or you can pull your head from your ass, look and listen, and maybe learn a thing or two. Now you can call me defensive, hotheaded, irate, and hypersensitive. In the end, I really dont give a rats ass if you carry a .22 lr as your main survival gun and end up as a bleached out pile of bones because you lacked the ballstics capability of killing that deer or defending yourself. But if your gonna ask, you can damn well expect an answer, at least from me.

Tapatalk ate my spelling.

Yes, this thread is all about carrying a single gun. Oh, wait.

I also have a 92, not just a 22lr right now.

Edited by The Itis
Guest The Itis

Keep in mind that the ability to make moonshine would likely be an invaluable skill in a SHTF scenario.  Such spirits would have a myriad of uses.  Probably more uses than a .22, anyhow.

I have never made shine, myself, but my late father made and ran (yes, illegal) shine in his younger days.  I had him describe the process of making shine to me, in detail, just because I was curious about 'how' one would do it.  I think making good shine would take more knowledge, skill and sense than you might imagine.   Having had 'good' shine - (from, um, independent distillers my dad knew of when I was younger) I can say that the homemade stuff can be a damn sight better than the mass produced 'moonshine' that is now on the market (although, being honest, some of that isn't bad.)

And to think, I'm the one that was trying to be civil to you.

I appreciate your responses and civility. As for moonshine, I've had the "independent distillers" stuff, made in the woods of northern Wisconsin. Obviously doesn't compare to that legal moonshine, which is quite the oxymoron.

Don't neglect the fact that your Nagant revolver can - with the stock cylinder - already chamber and fire .32 S&W Long rounds.  I know because I've seen me do it (with my Nagant revolver, that is.)  I would suppose that would also mean you could chamber and fire .32 S&W (short) rounds.  In fact, I have read in more than one place that Nagant revolvers are 'strong' enough to handle .32 H&R Magnum rounds - although I have never tried that and probably will not unless a true emergency (such as SHTF survival) arises and, by some strange set of circumstances, the only ammo I can find in .32 H&R Magnum.

Anyhow, this means that - even without the .32acp cylinder - your Nagant revolver can fire at least three, different ammo types (7.62X38R, .32 S&W Long and .32 S&W.)  If you are willing to risk .32 H&R Magnum, that would mean four ammo possibilities with the stock cylinder.  Throw in the .32acp cylinder and you'd be looking at possibly being able to fire five, different ammo types with that one revolver.

That would mean that, between the two primaries and the Nagant, you'd possibly have the option of using ten different ammo types!

Mind. Blown.

Pcshuey!!!! (That's the sound of a mind blowing BTW)
  • Like 1

Mind. Blown.

A .327 Federal Magnum weapon will safely chamber and fire .327 Fed Mag, .32 H&R Mag, .32 Long, .32 Short, and .32ACP (it has just enough of a rim to catch the chamber) without any changes to the gun. I honestly don't know if it will chamber a 7.62x38R, but if so that would be even better. [Edit: It won't, so ignore that]

Yes, you can fit .32H&R Mag into a 7.62x38R chamber, but the pressures are higher in the Mag and there are reports bulging/split cases.

If a reputable manufacturer ever comes out with a .327Mag lever-action carbine I would buy one in a heartbeat.  IMHO, the perfect two gun backpacking/horseback back-country survival system will be a lever carbine and a revolver, and .327Mag would be the perfect chambering. A power factor close to a .357 with higher speed, flatter trajectory, and greater range, plus lighter and smaller cartridges talking up less precious backpack space. All in a simple, rugged, and highly reliable firearm system.

Yeah, I know, the .327Mag cartridge never really took off and probably never will, but I still like it.

Back on topic...

Just to play the game by the rules of the OP, there is only one possible answer. With only 2 guns, the .22LR would have to be the long gun. The .22 "Long Rifle" cartridge was designed to be shot out of a rifle. A .22LR short gun wastes a lot of power in what is already a weak cartridge, and would only be useful for taking very small game at very short ranges. So I would have either an AR chambered in .22LR or else a 10/22. The short gun would have to make up for the shortcomings of the weak long gun, so it must be powerful enough to handle large predator animals and 2-legged aggressors. Probably a 10mm.

That being said, I agree with the other posters. Yes, a .22LR would be invaluable for quietly acquiring small game in a homestead situation. But if I were only allowed two guns neither would be a .22LR. There are way too many other options available with much greater flexibility and functionality.

Edited by JWKilgore

I'm not a boorish old codger. Im actually a young, handsome, 25 yr old suave SOB :lol: . And I dont expect anyone to hang on to my everyword. But coming to an internet forum, asking a ridcuilous question with parameters geared towards feeling better about your choices, then cramming your fingers in your ears and humming when people with experience try to give you better options is dumb. You wanna see my honest opinion. You're an idiot troll whos only reason for being here is to stir #### up. You have already said your only firearm right now is a .22 lr target pistol, and theres nothing wrong with that. But you have the attitude that when your only tool is a hammer, every problem is a nail. Sadly one firearm doesnt fit every situation. So you can continue to ignore sound advice, or you can pull your head from your ass, look and listen, and maybe learn a thing or two. Now you can call me defensive, hotheaded, irate, and hypersensitive. In the end, I really dont give a rats ass if you carry a .22 lr as your main survival gun and end up as a bleached out pile of bones because you lacked the ballstics capability of killing that deer or defending yourself. But if your gonna ask, you can damn well expect an answer, at least from me.

Yes, this thread is all about carrying a single gun. Oh, wait.

I also have a 92, not just a 22lr right now.

Oh sorry. You have two HANDGUNS and no long gun. And neither handgun is chambered in an effective hunting cartridge. Just keep in mind a handgun was designed to be a defensive weapon. Its a way to fight to a long gun. If your hunting for food or know your gonna defend yourself, you need a long gun in a suitable caliber. You came here, asked a stupid question, and got your balls busted a little for it. Suck it up, try to learn a few things from the guys here who actually have knowledge that might keep you alive, and you'll gain something from this place.

Oh sorry. You have two HANDGUNS and no long gun. And neither handgun is chambered in an effective hunting cartridge. Just keep in mind a handgun was designed to be a defensive weapon. Its a way to fight to a long gun. If your hunting for food or know your gonna defend yourself, you need a long gun in a suitable caliber. You came here, asked a stupid question, and got your balls busted a little for it. Suck it up, try to learn a few things from the guys here who actually have knowledge that might keep you alive, and you'll gain something from this place.

By 92, I am assuming (yeah, I know what happens) that he is talking about a Beretta 92.  If so then I think maybe I can see why he phrased the OP the way he did.

Question for The Itis:

Based on the OP (original post in this thread) and the guns you already own (and, possibly, some latent telepathic abilities I may or may not possess :pleased: ) I have to wonder if you were actually kind of (in a roundabout way) saying/asking, "I currently own two handguns.  One is a Beretta 92 in 9mm and the other is chambered in .22LR.  I am thinking about buying a long gun and I am not really interested in shotguns.  I also don't have a whole lot of experience with centerfire rifles.  So, with possible SHTF and 'bugging out' usage in mind, if you were in my position and looking to buy a long gun to pair with one of the handguns I already have, do you think it would be better to choose a .22LR rifle to pair with the 9mm or would you choose a larger caliber rifle and pair it with the .22 pistol?  If you would choose the latter then what chambering would you choose in the long gun and why?"

If so, then there is no shame in just coming out and asking.  Also, if that is what you are getting at then I would wager that phrasing the question in such a manner would get you answers that would more closely match what you want to know.  That doesn't mean that some folks won't still try to persuade you to choose a shotgun (for various reasons already discussed in this thread) but I do think it might help focus the discussion a little.

Edited by JAB
Guest The Itis

This was a hypothetical, I am not justifying what I now have nor am I basing my purchases based on this thread.

You need to calm down.
What I shoot now is not aiming for a survival situation. What I shoot now is for home defense and the range.

You are wrong in your assumption that I am only buying guns as if I am expecting the world to end this year.
Keep in mind the handgun was designed to be a defensive weapon? Yeah okay, I don't remember saying I hunt with my 92.

Seriously, a hypothetical is hypothetical, you can lay off on the personal attacks and continuous false assumptions. With your keen sense for dramatic criticisms, how about critiquing the two options laid out?

Guest The Itis

By 92, I am assuming (yeah, I know what happens) that he is talking about a Beretta 92.  If so then I think maybe I can see why he phrased the OP the way he did.

Question for The Itis:

Based on the OP (original post in this thread) and the guns you already own (and, possibly, some latent telepathic abilities I may or may not possess :pleased: ) I have to wonder if you were actually kind of (in a roundabout way) saying/asking, "I currently own two handguns.  One is a Beretta 92 in 9mm and the other is chambered in .22LR.  I am thinking about buying a long gun and I am not really interested in shotguns.  I also don't have a whole lot of experience with centerfire rifles.  So, with possible SHTF and 'bugging out' usage in mind, if you were in my position and looking to buy a long gun to pair with one of the handguns I already have, do you think it would be better to choose a .22LR rifle to pair with the 9mm or would you choose a larger caliber rifle and pair it with the .22 pistol?  If you would choose the latter then what chambering would you choose in the long gun and why?"

If so, then there is no shame in just coming out and asking.  Also, if that is what you are getting at then I would wager that phrasing the question in such a manner would get you answers that would more closely match what you want to know.  That doesn't mean that some folks won't still try to persuade you to choose a shotgun (for various reasons already discussed in this thread) but I do think it might help focus the discussion a little.

This was just a hypothetical. I did not buy my current guns with the end of the world in mind. I am not looking for advice on an upcoming purchase. I can see how you got the impression I'm trying to feel out info for my gun purchasing, but that is not the case. Like you said, there would've been many easier ways of getting that advice.

It's as if I posed a hypothetical scenario of what types of knives you should bring if guns are not a possibility. Some people would belabor the point of always going for a gun, can't get past how guns wouldn't be a possibility, suggest guns despite, and eventually see that I have a small EDC currently in real life and then insult me as if I bought my current small EDC with the hypothetical scenario in mind. I don't know if that made sense, but that's what is going on here.

Again I thoroughly appreciate your calm and collected input to this thread, JAB.

Edited by The Itis

This was a hypothetical, I am not justifying what I now have nor am I basing my purchases based on this thread.

You need to calm down.

What I shoot now is not aiming for a survival situation. What I shoot now is for home defense and the range.
You are wrong in your assumption that I am only buying guns as if I am expecting the world to end this year.

Keep in mind the handgun was designed to be a defensive weapon? Yeah okay, I don't remember saying I hunt with my 92.

Seriously, a hypothetical is hypothetical, you can lay off on the personal attacks and continuous false assumptions. With your keen sense for dramatic criticisms, how about critiquing the two options laid out?

I am very calm. Trust me, you will know when I'm not calm. And I am not using personal attacks. I'm sorry that I assumed you were asking questions about firearm combinations because you were looking for advice on what firearms combination to use. I'll step away now, I didnt know I was trying to give advice on hypothetical questions.

You need to calm down.

The only one who needs to "calm down" here is you.

Since you like hypothetical questions...here is one for you...

"What happens when an immature person who is apparently an expert with airsoft guns asks a rather ridiculous question, becomes abrasive with people before page one of the thread is filled and then gets downright insulting and demeaning to others; even others who are not only trying to help him and answer his rather silly question but has decades of experience with REAL firearms?"

I don't know the final answer to that hypothetical question but i suspect that your actions will provide us with one in the very near future.

Might I suggest that to keep from embarrassing yourself any further, you didn't post here at all for a year or two and instead, spend that period reading what much more experienced and smarter people than you have already posted...most questions, even the more unreasonable ones like you posed here, have already been answered in one way or another.

Edited by RobertNashville
Guest The Itis

The only one who needs to "calm down" here is you.

Since you like hypothetical questions...here is one for you...

"What happens when an immature person who is apparently an expert with airsoft guns asks a rather ridiculous question, becomes abrasive with people before page one of the thread is filled and then gets downright insulting and demeaning to others; even others who are not only trying to help him and answer his rather silly question but has decades of experience with REAL firearms?"

I don't know the final answer to that hypothetical question but i suspect that your actions will provide us with one in the very near future.

Might I suggest that to keep from embarrassing yourself any further, you didn't post here at all for a year or two and instead, spend that period reading what much more experienced and smarter people than you have already posted...most questions, even the more unreasonable ones like you posed here, have already been answered in one way or another.

More personal attacks from a hypocrite.

Your selective attention is classic immaturity if you want to talk about immaturity. You saw that I liked airsoft guns (which I don't own any now) but ignored that I did competitive shooting (with real firearms zomg). You will not get any more responses from me as you are full of nonsense and seem to be going through extreme lengths to fashion more personal attacks.

Edited by The Itis

It's as if I posed a hypothetical scenario of what types of knives you should bring if guns are not a possibility.

Well, that's easy.  Obviously, a Soviet NRS-2.  :up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NRS-2

Or, at least, one of these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballistic_knife

Then there are guys like Spots who would be able to make whatever kind of knife he wants according to the needs at hand (seriously, if you have never seen his stuff in threads in the knife forums, he and his father have a forge and he creates hand-made knives and other tools.)

More personal attacks from a hypocrite.

Your selective attention is classic immaturity if you want to talk about immaturity. You saw that I liked airsoft guns but ignored that I did competitive shooting (with real firearms zomg). You will not get any more responses from me as you are full of nonsense and seem to be going through extreme lengths to fashion more personal attacks.

dude this thread is going no where it makes no sense you make no sense and this thread is full of nonsense that you keep coming up with . People are trying to keep there composure with you and you still want to be a smart A## , like Jab or immaturity etc. wake up get in the real world with real reality . Far as respect goes I personally think you owe Spots an apology he has kept his calm with you and still tried to help you with your foolish question and even invited to help you . But I think you prob know every thing any way . So this whole thread no one should even bother with it . I can tell you are foolish by the way you act , you are messing with some very smart and honorable men here , you could prob learn some thing and give theses men respect while you are at it , STAND DOWN as thay say , you are going in a area that is called a real man hood that you have not learned yet . Jest remember for every action you do there is a reaction , you never know who you are busting heads with and one day it mite bite you in the A## . Learn and listin weed hopper . WORD ,
Guest The Itis

This thread is going somewhere. It's going on and on with hypocrites who like to preach about manhood and real firearms while they are completely unable to man up themselves and recognize they started with the unnecessary abrasiveness and personal attacks. There's a difference between standing down and bending over backwards to bullies.

So if you think answering to bullies makes me a smart ass, then you've got me all figured out. Good job.

This thread is going somewhere. It's going on and on with hypocrites who like to preach about manhood and real firearms while they are completely unable to man up themselves and recognize they started with the unnecessary abrasiveness and personal attacks. There's a difference between standing down and bending over backwards to bullies.

So if you think answering to bullies makes me a smart ass, then you've got me all figured out. Good job.

what ever . It jest may be the way you answer have you thought about that . Not bullies , jest trying to help make a man out of you and help you grow , thats up to you if you learn from it or not . see you still don't get it , like I said don't take things so personal and you wouldn't be in this mess . For every action is a reaction ill let you figure it out .

If you honestly think I'm a bully because I gave you crap over a hypothetical question that was doomed when it was asked simply because of the limitations you applied, then there is no hope. My reputation here stands for itself. I constantly offer to have people come to my place, people I only know from this forum, never met most in person, and learn any skill I can teach them that they may wanna learn. The internet is a wonderful place. These forums have a knack for weeding out people who don't belong quickly.

• Like 2
Guest The Itis

Yes, I've noticed your responses, after the two handgun comment, to be much more agreeable.

Care to get this back on topic and answer the OP? If it helps, answer it like "Which is less bad, 22lr handgun/large cal rifle, or large cal handgun and 22lr rifle?"

Yes, I've noticed your responses, after the two handgun comment, to be much more agreeable.

Care to get this back on topic and answer the OP? If it helps, answer it like "Which is less bad, 22lr handgun/large cal rifle, or large cal handgun and 22lr rifle?"

No, its a ridiculous question. Neither is a good combo by itself. If I had to have a .22 lr it would be a long gun, but you can be sure my main firearms will be an AR and a 1911. A .22lr handgun takes power and accuracy away from a round that needs every advantage.

• Like 1

How about this for a hypothetical...

You are a long way from home and your TEOTWAWKI supplies when TSHTF. For some obscure reason you don't even have your every-day carry on you (just work with me here... pretend you flew to New York or Europe or something). Getting back to your armory will be a long and troublesome process. 

In the process of going back home, would you rather happen upon a .22LR long gun and a decent handgun, or would you rather happen upon a more decent rifle and a .22LR handgun? I realize that both options are FAR from adequate, but again, work with me. I'm trying to come up with a reasonable scenario that follows the OP's rules. Also, assume the weapons come with adequate ammo.

To answer, my earlier answer was wrong. I was focusing on the most useful .22, but the correct issue is to focus on the most useful weapon. If you could only have one weapon (with a .22 backup), what would you want? In that case, an AR carbine with a .22 handgun

Edited by JWKilgore
Jwk,

I don't see the point in trying to salvage the thread, as per the OP his question was only hypothetical & would have had no bearing on any decisions he was planning on making on either his load-out or future purchases.

Essentially he is just wasting everyone's time for no real apparent reason other than just because he could.

Limited entertainment value aside, I personally see no further purpose to trying to answer his questions.
  • Like 2
Guest The Itis

Then I suggest you go off and only post in threads that will change your life or whatever it is your standards are for having discussions.

Then I suggest you go off and only post in threads that will change your life or whatever it is your standards are for having discussions.

Normally people who ask questions have a reason for wanting an answer? If somebody asked what the best chainsaw for cutting firewood out of model a and model b was, and I spent 20 minutes typing up reasons why and sharing my experince, and made mention that neither of those was really approiate for the use listed and suggested they instead look into models c, d, and e and then they said it doesnt matter because it was just hypothetical and they werent buying a chainsaw, it would still piss me off. I come here for two reason. One is to catch up on news and talk with friends and the other is to learn and teach people. When someone is asking a question like theh want advice, then after 4 pages says it doesnt matter anyways it kinda pisses me off.

• Like 2
Guest The Itis

You mean anyone who talks about zombies is truly genuinely curious what they should do because zombies are likely to occur?

The answers matter in that I'm hearing pros and cons between the two. I learn about what kind of situations people care to imagine. Some people have talked about defending from the unprepared, some people have talked about having to shoot at moving rabbits, others have imagined other scenarios. If imagining isn't at home in a hypothetical situation, I don't know where else it would go.

Edited by The Itis

You mean anyone who talks about zombies is truly genuinely curious what they should do because zombies are likely to occur?

The answers matter in that I'm hearing pros and cons between the two. I learn about what kind of situations people care to imagine. Some people have talked about defending from the unprepared, some people have talked about having to shoot at moving rabbits, others have imagined other scenarios. If imagining isn't at home in a hypothetical situation, I don't know where else it would go.

But what do the pro's and con's matter if they aren't influencing a decision of some kind. And Zombies are typically use as a political lt correct way to prel. It makes it one big joke, or game which leads it to be more socially accepted by the masses.

• Like 1

see there ya go again ya jest can't keep that little trap shut you will NEVER learn with a attitude like that , this really shows your immaturity , you jest have to get that last little smart A## remark in . There is no hope for you . Or this thread that by the way is not going any where , you keep fluttering your wings like a ??? Fill in the blanks ___________ guys hehehe