New Gunshop in Hixson - 22LR $69 / brick

Might be good for everybody in this area to go in, look around and make our way over to those $70 bricks, then just shake our heads and walk out.

Might want to tell them how you found out about them on TGO and how well they are being received by the local shooters. :puke:

• Like 2

Meh, if they have it and it won't sell, they'll lower the price. I hate that prices are high at the moment (though I'm trying to find the opportunity to shoot what I *do* have) but when there's a shortage, it's only to be expected. I'd rather the retail places (and manufacturers) sold high than the scalpers make the profit. Keeping prices artificially low discourages increases in production (just ask the Russkies)

The new place in Cool Springs had 22 last time I went in. Prices were a little high for what I want and it looked like a "boutique" round but they seemed more reasonable than this.

Embrace the free market, people. Don't go all Bush on me.

Edited by tnguy

I'd rather the retail places (and manufacturers) sold high than the scalpers make the profit. Keeping prices artificially low discourages increases in production (just ask the Russkies)

Lets see if I have this right. You want the retailers and manufactures to gouge the buyers so the scalpers can't???????????WTF :surrender:

I would rather not get gouged at all.

Edited by crossfire

Lets see if I have this right. You want the retailers and manufactures to gouge the buyers so the scalpers can't???????????WTF :surrender:

I would rather not get gouged at all.

More money for manufacturers == more incentive to produce more ammo.

More money for manufacturers == more incentive to produce more ammo.

At even higher prices!

You don't think the manufactures haven't raised their prices since this panic buying started?

I'm sure Winchester, Remington, & Federal are crying all the way to the bank over the ammo shortage. They will run 24/7 with what they have until they catch up. But I don't see them expanding their production lines over this "shortage"

So what is your excuse for the retailer's prices in the OP? Is he just trying to keep the 22's out of the Scalpers hands and therefore helping all of us out? :2cents:

OK so since I live fairly close to this new shop I stopped by today to see what all the hubbubs about.

I met the owner David Ratledge who just seems like a young guy trying out his dream of owning a LGS.  The prices on all the handguns seemed to be normal for our area.  Glocks were all $550.  His DB380 was a little cheaper than another my SIL looked at somewhere else.  I need another DB9 but his supplier was out of stock.  The ammo is high but he says he has to pay high to even get it.  Long guns didn’t seem to be overpriced and he had some of the sexy tactical lookin’ rifles some people like.

I asked about the “No Loaded Firearms” sign prominently displayed on the door.  He said that ATF said that they should have it.  I explained the HCPer point of view and he agrees a HCP carrier would not be a problem.  He may post another sign for legal carry.

Bottom line -  He seems like a nice young inexperienced guy trying to get a start in the business.  I’d at least look at him if I lived close and wanted to buy a pistola.  I should have asked about transfers but forgot.  I’ve invited him to post here so we’ll see.  I’d like to see more LGShops rather than less.

Cherokee Slim

• Like 1

At even higher prices!

You don't think the manufactures haven't raised their prices since this panic buying started?

I'm sure Winchester, Remington, & Federal are crying all the way to the bank over the ammo shortage. They will run 24/7 with what they have until they catch up. But I don't see them expanding their production lines over this "shortage"

So what is your excuse for the retailer's prices in the OP? Is he just trying to keep the 22's out of the Scalpers hands and therefore helping all of us out? :2cents:

He's adjusted his prices to reflect supply and demand. It's either him or the scalpers and if I need it, I'd rather be able to get it at a regular store than have to chase questionable personages around the internet. Though technically it doesn't make much difference. I do believe he didn't open his business as a 401c

Incidentally, when I was in the new gun shop in Cool Springs, I noticed they did have quite large stashes of reloaded ammunition. So clearly the demand is opening up new supply lines for regular purchasers (Though the price was not significantly better than regular ammo but there was a lot of it).

OK so since I live fairly close to this new shop I stopped by today to see what all the hubbubs about.

I met the owner David Ratledge who just seems like a young guy trying out his dream of owning a LGS.  The prices on all the handguns seemed to be normal for our area.  Glocks were all $550.  His DB380 was a little cheaper than another my SIL looked at somewhere else.  I need another DB9 but his supplier was out of stock.  The ammo is high but he says he has to pay high to even get it.  Long guns didn’t seem to be overpriced and he had some of the sexy tactical lookin’ rifles some people like.

I asked about the “No Loaded Firearms” sign prominently displayed on the door.  He said that ATF said that they should have it.  I explained the HCPer point of view and he agrees a HCP carrier would not be a problem.  He may post another sign for legal carry.

Bottom line -  He seems like a nice young inexperienced guy trying to get a start in the business.  I’d at least look at him if I lived close and wanted to buy a pistola.  I should have asked about transfers but forgot.  I’ve invited him to post here so we’ll see.  I’d like to see more LGShops rather than less.

Cherokee Slim

As long as his gun prices are within reason I will give him a look see the next time in the area. The "No Loaded Firearms" sign would not keep me away from his shop if his prices are good on firearms and FFL transfers.

But as far as selling 22 ammo at $70 a brick I don't think that is going to help him get people into his store. If his suppliers are that high then he would be better off not selling it.

Look what that price has done to his reputation on this forum.

Thanks for posting your thoughts on the new gun shop. I too would like to see more LGShops in our area.

He's adjusted his prices to reflect supply and demand. It's either him or the scalpers and if I need it, I'd rather be able to get it at a regular store than have to chase questionable personages around the internet. Though technically it doesn't make much difference. I do believe he didn't open his business as a 401c

I don't know what his suppliers are charging him or how much he has to charge to keep his store open. I've been picking up ammo ever since this BS started and I've never paid anywhere near scalper rates. If I see it at WM I buy it, if I see it at Cabelas I order it. I have never paid over $30 a brick for 22's and that is shipped. So for you to say I should have to pay $70 a brick because that's the going price  the scalpers are getting is nothing but :bs:

I suspect it wouldn't have to have been anything like that much of a rise to keep the scalpers down. As you say yourself, the ammo is out there if you're in the right place at the right time so the shortage is not that severe. Less profit for the scalpers means less incentive to be outside Academy at 7am and less profits to reinvest (I suspect there's going to be a lot of scalpers left holding a lot of ammo they just can't sell when this all finally blows over)

His prices on ammo are what they are because he is scalping. His suppliers a Walmart and academy. I was there when he sent someone to buy some. If he wants to keep/get business he is going to have to get ammo at normal prices. Guns alone will not keep him in business.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I don't know what his suppliers are charging him or how much he has to charge to keep his store open. I've been picking up ammo ever since this BS started and I've never paid anywhere near scalper rates. If I see it at WM I buy it, if I see it at Cabelas I order it. I have never paid over $30 a brick for 22's and that is shipped. So for you to say I should have to pay $70 a brick because that's the going price the scalpers are getting is nothing but :bs:

I work for a gun store and some of the .22 we've been able to get is more than $30 a brick at cost. It's not your everyday cci, win, fed etc. In fact our COST is around $43 per 500. So just because you've never paid over $30 a brick doesn't mean that people that are selling at that price are scalping or trying to rip you off.

I work for a gun store and some of the .22 we've been able to get is more than $30 a brick at cost. It's not your everyday cci, win, fed etc. In fact our COST is around $43 per 500. So just because you've never paid over $30 a brick doesn't mean that people that are selling at that price are scalping or trying to rip you off.

The point I was making is that $69.99 a brick for Winchester .22lr is 3Xs more then what Walmart is selling the same item for. In my book that is "Scalping". 

I also stated I didn't know what his supplier was charging him or what his overhead was. After reading Cherokee Slim's post I was willing to give the new shop a visit.

Dane posted that he is using Walmart and Academy as his ammo suppliers. If that's the case then he's a Scalper and I won't be buying anything from him.

If the ammo your selling is priced at the going rate for that brand and I needed it I would have no problem paying your price. If I saw you were charging 3Xs more then other dealers just because you have it and they don't, I would buy somewhere else or do without  

Meh, if they have it and it won't sell, they'll lower the price. I hate that prices are high at the moment (though I'm trying to find the opportunity to shoot what I *do* have) but when there's a shortage, it's only to be expected. I'd rather the retail places (and manufacturers) sold high than the scalpers make the profit. Keeping prices artificially low discourages increases in production (just ask the Russkies)

Amen!

Guest RevScottie

Most major gun shops in the area are charging this much for .22 so they can keep the hoarders and scalpers from depleting their inventory too. If he sold his .22 for $30 a brick how long do you think it would last in this market? How many .22 caliber firearms can you sell when you have to tell the customer that they'll have to scrounge for ammo to even shoot it? 

This forum often amuses me. On one hand everyone jumps on the bandwagon of Walmart being the Great Satan of the retail world while in the next they are bitchin about someone buying ammo from there before they can  :shrug:  As far as .22 ammo goes I shop at Walmart on a regular basis and haven't seen .22LR on the shelf locally since early November 2012. The ONLY .22LR I have seen has been at gun shows or occasionally a local shop and its been this much or more.

Before everyone jumps on the bandwagon of boycotting a new store maybe you need to understand some of the basics of business. A thumbs up or down on TGO is really pretty meaningless in the real world anyway. Almost every gun store you can imagine has been given a negative review at one time or another on here yet they are not only still in business but are thriving. 

I say go check it out for yourself and give a new gun shop a chance before you condemn it without even visiting it.

so, high prices drive away the hoarders, and scalp the every day customers?

I say, just tell your customers, "the reason we dont have any .22 is because the price would be so high it would offend you"

Hell even type it on sign and hang it on the door

I think the reasoning here is " If we can't stop the scalpers from screwing people dumb enough to pay their prices we should screw everyone to make up for it"

:wall:

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...

He has moved his business from boyscout road to the corner of middle valley road and eagle drive across the street from the spur market. I don't see him surviving another year.

Bill