Welcome to Tennessee Gun Owners

Welcome to Tennessee Gun Owners -- The Premier Website for Tennessee Firearms Owners and Enthusiasts

If you have an account with us, please Sign In.

If you do not have an account, register now for one! It's 100% free and easy to do. »» Join TGO Now ««

As a member of Tennessee Gun Owners you can...
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Gun rest for tree stand?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 maroonandwhite

maroonandwhite

pities the fool.

• TGO Benefactor
  • 2,000 posts
Carry Permit Holder NRA Member

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:33 PM

Can anyone recommend some type of gun rest that would work out of a ladder stand? My wife will be hunting out of a double stand with me and although it has a fold down shooting rest it's really too low to get a good prop on. I am thinking something that will screw into the tree. If all else fails I'll just get a mono pod but i'd prefer something more solid.

#2 DaveS

DaveS

SME

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,134 posts
Carry Permit Holder Law Enforcement Military

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:54 PM

The drop down shooting rest is very good. They do make a "knee rest", which sets on the knee and works as a gun rest. The "fold down" rest is much better. Now is the best time to teach her to shoot without a rest. You'll never go wrong.

DaveS

#3 maroonandwhite

maroonandwhite

pities the fool.

• TGO Benefactor
  • 2,000 posts
Carry Permit Holder NRA Member

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:59 PM

Thanks Dave. Do you have a link or a brand name to search for?

Also this will be used by me as well. I have just over a 300 yard shot possible in this stand so I'd like to be as steady as possible. Plus it will boost her confidence a little. She's a great shot but only at paper so far. Factor in the cold and adrenaline rush she hasn't felt yet and Im sure she'll be shaking a little. Heck I still do haha.

Out to 50-75 yards I am confident she could make a free handed shot.

• DaveS likes this

#4 whiskey

whiskey

TGO Senior Member

• Subject Matter Experts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:46 AM

I use my shooting stick in ladder stands. I took a piece of 2x6 and drilled a hole that allows the tip of the shooting stick to rest in the block of wood. I just put this on the foot rest. It lets me have a lot more range of movement to get on the deer. I like to have the shooting stick walking in or out too. 

• DaveS likes this

#5 Ron Padilla

Ron Padilla

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts
    Used to beLake Elsinore,CA now Clarksville Tn
Carry Permit Holder Military

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:57 PM

I saw one the other day from one of the online people just cant recall who it was, so I guess I should not have said anything as this wasn't no help.  :)