Rechamber a .22 Hornet to a .22 K Hornet?

I've done some research on this, but was hoping to hear from owners that have converted their .22 Hornet to .22 K Hornet. For those that have done the conversion, was it worth it, and was it cost effective? My understanding is that it just makes a larger capacity for powder in the shell casing. For those that have the k Hornet, do you full size your fired brass, or just neck size it? Does the K Hornet brass last longer, split sooner, or no change? Some pics and comparisons of the two rounds would be helpful. Thanks.

Sidewinder, I considered this change in past times for one of my Hornet rifles and IIRC the "K" variant allows only a very slight increase in bullet velocity compared against the original version.  Downsides were costs of having the barrel reamed, or of buying the reamer, buying a set of non-standard dies, possibly selling off the rifle at a later time and finding a buyer who understood and appreciated the "K", making this modification to a rifle that could take the pressures of a Hornet or "K" loaded to maximum pressures to benefit from the modification, etc.  All things considered, I chose to remain with the original case profile and work to find that special loading which gave the tightest group size at a velocity that suited my needs.  As for mega speed out of a Hornet, someone once said that if you want to drive a bigger nail (heavier or faster bullet), buy a bigger hammer.  The market is full of 222, 223, etc. calibers for greater speed.  For my needs I will stay with the original Hornet and enjoy it as it was designed.  I'm not trying to discourage your interest in a wildcat caliber, just want you to be aware of some of the bear traps in that market.  Good luck with your decision.

Stumpy

I'll back up what Stumpy posted.  Even if you invest the money in a reamer or a gunsmith to ream it and a new set of dies, you're not going to come anywhere near the much-more-common .223 Remington.  

I do have a .22 Hornet, but I have not done the conversion in question.  I have had a .30-30 reamed to a .30-30 Ackley Improved.  If I had it to do over again, I would not bother.  There is negligible performance gain.  

Just enjoy it for what it is.  A fairly quiet, light-recoiling, somewhat nostalgic (for me) round.  What would you gain?  50-100 fps?  

Of course, as I get older, I become more of a purist.  My grandfather gave me that .22 Hornet just before he passed.  So I would never modify it.  I have also been wanting a new one that I can take out in the woods.  I wouldn't rechamber it either.

As already said, good luck with your decision.

Will

Edit:  If you do decide to ream the chamber, you'll probably want to sell your Hornet dies, right?  I may be interested...  I've been wanting to drag out my Papaw's old Savage for some time now...

Edited by Clod Stomper
  • 8 months later...

Stumpy & Clod Stomper, deep down inside, something was telling me to just leave well enough alone. Or as my sweet little granny used to say. "Let a sleeping dog lie". She was a wise lady...born in the late 1800s, and I respected her advice. Likewise, I respect you guys advice, and have decided to just leave all of my 22 Hornets as they are. Clod Stomper, I'm glad you got your granddad's gun. I have my granddad's old J.C. Higgins Model 20, 12 gauge, pump gun in my closet. he was born in 1882 and taught me a lot about hunting, and life in general. Thank you guys for your good advice. I'm sorry it has taken me so long to respond...somehow, I lost the post.

• Like 2

Stumpy & Clod Stomper, deep down inside, something was telling me to just leave well enough alone. Or as my sweet little granny used to say. "Let a sleeping dog lie". She was a wise lady...born in the late 1800s, and I respected her advice. Likewise, I respect you guys advice, and have decided to just leave all of my 22 Hornets as they are. Clod Stomper, I'm glad you got your granddad's gun. I have my granddad's old J.C. Higgins Model 20, 12 gauge, pump gun in my closet. he was born in 1882 and taught me a lot about hunting, and life in general. Thank you guys for your good advice. I'm sorry it has taken me so long to respond...somehow, I lost the post.

Your Granddad was a bit older than mine.  He was born in 1905.  He taught me how to hunt, track, trap and farm.  I wish I'd had more time to learn from him, but he passed when I was 15.  He only had a L.C. Smith double-barrel shotgun, a Savage 99 in .300, a .38 Spl S&W, and that old Stevens .22 Hornet, but he knew how to use them and took more game than I probably ever will.  For food, not for sport.  

If you're like me, you probably value that J.C. Higgins more than anything else in your safe.  After all these years, I still remember when my Papaw gave me that Stevens.  And I still miss him.

I'm a bit of a tinkerer, and if I didn't have a sentimental attachment to my Hornet, I probably would have considered reaming it to K Hornet if I had not already experimented with the .30-30 AI.  But I learned with that one that the costs of these "improved" rounds usually outweigh the benefits.  

Your Granddad was a bit older than mine.  He was born in 1905.  He taught me how to hunt, track, trap and farm.  I wish I'd had more time to learn from him, but he passed when I was 15.  He only had a L.C. Smith double-barrel shotgun, a Savage 99 in .300, a .38 Spl S&W, and that old Stevens .22 Hornet, but he knew how to use them and took more game than I probably ever will.  For food, not for sport.  

If you're like me, you probably value that J.C. Higgins more than anything else in your safe.  After all these years, I still remember when my Papaw gave me that Stevens.  And I still miss him.

I'm a bit of a tinkerer, and if I didn't have a sentimental attachment to my Hornet, I probably would have considered reaming it to K Hornet if I had not already experimented with the .30-30 AI.  But I learned with that one that the costs of these "improved" rounds usually outweigh the benefits.  

Clod Stomper, sounds like your granddad was a great man. I can tell he left some very honorable character traits in you, from those early years. You were lucky to have him around to impart his wisdom and integrity for those few years. I had a few more years with mine, and I'm very thankful for every one of them.

You're absolutely right. The old JC Higgins is probably the least valuable (in money) gun I have, but I wouldn't part with it.

Yea, I think you're right on the modifying of a chamber too. Upon second thought, common sense kicked in about who was the most qualified and knowledgeable about such things...the manufacturer.

• Like 1

Sounds like he had all his bases covered very well. A man of good tastes to be sure.

My grandfather had one old Springfield single shot 12 gauge with a bulge in the barrel, and the fore end duct taped to the barrel. It did double duty as a hunting gun, home defense, and won more than one turkey shoot. I was fortunate enough to heir it, and treasure it greatly.

• Like 1