Medical Training Classes

Guest Drop

Hello everyone! I don't create or reply to many topics here at TGO, but I read with a lot of interest many evenings.

I am looking for some feedback to see what the demand might be for people who would like to attend basic medical or tactical medical classes. The classes could be tailored to fit about any need but attendees wouldn't meet national certification or state licensing requirements. The classes would though, follow the sound principles of nationally recognized basic trauma care methodologies. I could foresee 1 or 2 day classes depending on the depth of material and practical exercises. I believe in providing common sense instruction to those who might be called upon to treat people who have been injured.

I hope I posted this in the proper place and I appreciate your comments.

Thanks!
[quote name="Chucktshoes" post="1090703" timestamp="1389068057"]I have been looking for this kind of class for a while. I can tell you that there is a demand for it in the Memphis area.[/quote] I would be interested and could probably rope another 5 or so people depending on the cost...
Thanks for the replies so far. I hope I can hear back from some more people. I am running a couple of scenarios through my head to see if this is feasible. I really think it is though.

Thanks!
[quote name="Metalhead" post="1090901" timestamp="1389114681"][url="http://gandlacademy.com/medical-training/"]http://gandlacademy.com/medical-training/[/url][/quote] I'm looking for something a little more than CPR or First Responder courses as I had a 40 hour First Responder class in my law enforcement academy. Sort of want a tactical medic class. Any suggestions of who might offer this type of training to civilians?
I've been out of touch after a death in the family. I'm keeping an eye on the thread to gauge interest. After bouncing this off other EMS instructors, it would seem that starting in west Tennessee makes the most sense. Thank you for the replies.

I actually told my wife this year that one of my new years resolutions is to get medical training.  I have no prior medical training and don't want to be caught flat footed in a situation where I could have made a difference but didnt have basic knowledge.  Keep me updated on this please!  

• 3 weeks later...
Guest theconstitutionrocks

Tactical medicine...in a nutshell...

Lay down cover/suppressive fire/return fire

Grab casualty, remove from line of fire

Airway, breathing, stop the bleeding, evac

If patient is in cardiac arrest from trauma he's probably not going to make it.

Thank you for the additonal replies since my last post!

Here is an update so far...

I have started the coordination process with the college to offer this class through Continuing Education.  That way it will fall under the umbrella of the Allied Health Department, their Program Director, and Medical Director (a physician).  That allows the instructors to offer this type of training and allows full access to the college's resources and facilities.  We are putting together the cirriculum now, but I don't know of a time frame yet.  I will post more information once we make a little more progress.

Thanks,
Drop

I forgot to ask about the cirriculum content..

Here are the basic thoughts so far

1.  Introduction to First Aid (or what ever title we give it)

2.  History of Injuries/Phases of Care

3.  Treatment Priorities (CAB)

4.  Bleeding/Bleeding Control

5.  Pressure Dressings

6.  Tourniquets

7.  Hemostatic Agents

8.  Other wound management

9.  Airway Management

10. Chest Wound Management

11. Human Anatomy/Physiology

12. Shock

13. Penetrating Injuries

14. Instruction Review

This is just a basic cirriculum guide that I'm still working on.  There will of course be demonstration and practical exercises for the tourniquets, bandaging, chest seals, bleeding control techniques, airway management, and other skills. 

I don't know if this can be done in 8 or 16 hours.  Still trying to figure that out.

Does anyone have suggestions to add or delete from the cirriculum so far?

Again thanks in advance!

Drop

• 1 month later...
The curriculum was submitted to the college and I'm now working with the Program Director to move the class forward. Things seem to be moving slowly but there are several things happening in the background. I will post more as it develops but I am predicting this class will be offered in the fall. Not sure what campus location yet though.

Thanks,
Drop
  • 6 months later...