Ohio National Guard Training Envisions Right-Wing Terrorism via 2A Supporters

Then you should find like minded people and train with them.  I guarantee that if you use the word "militia" to describe your group, you WILL be labeled as an enemy of the state and as obvious redneck buffoons.

The word "militia" has been bastardized by the left.  I would wear that with a badge of honor.

You're right, it has been.  But it's kinda the chicken and the egg thing.  Did the media just decide one day they were going to represent militias as extremist separatists or supremists or did enough militia groups perpetuate that stigma on their own by being full of separatists and supremists?

Other than the State Guard, the closest thing I've seen to a rational organization that closely resembles a militia would be the Oath Keepers with their initiative to set up regional detachments and support cells.  I could get on board with that, but I just worry about becoming involved in a group full of people who say one thing but really mean another... with a wink wink nod nod.  I grew up around such people and they're still close with the family.  They would share many of the same opinions on the government being too large, taxes being too much and the potential for an economic disaster resulting in a period of chaos and lawlessness.  But then they start talking about how gays, blacks and Jews are responsible for all the world's problems.  For some reason, militias seem to attract those types, and that's not the type of people I want to be around if the S actually HTF.

Edited by TMF
  • Like 4
Guest semiautots

You're right, it has been.  But it's kinda the chicken and the egg thing.  Did the media just decide one day they were going to represent militias as extremist separatists or supremists or did enough militia groups perpetuate that stigma on their own by being full of separatists and supremists?

Other than the State Guard, the closest thing I've seen to a rational organization that closely resembles a militia would be the Oath Keepers with their initiative to set up regional detachments and support cells.  I could get on board with that, but I just worry about becoming involved in a group full of people who say one thing but really mean another... with a wink wink nod nod.  I grew up around such people and they're still close with the family.  They would share many of the same opinions on the government being too large, taxes being too much and the potential for an economic disaster resulting in a period of chaos and lawlessness.  But then they start talking about how gays, blacks and Jews are responsible for all the world's problems.  For some reason, militias seem to attract those types, and that's not the type of people I want to be around if the S actually HTF.

I have often thought about putting together a group of known people, kind of a response team.  You could train a squad of 10 - 15 men that could take control of most situations very quickly.  Would have to be secret and would have to train.

But it could be done.

Without addressing the other part as I've not investigated or heard too much on militias.  Would it surprise you if the media went out of it's way to find the most extreme examples to represent as the norm? 

That is what they do with just about everything.  Take for instance reporting on the firearm culture and guns.

Without addressing the other part as I've not investigated or heard too much on militias.  Would it surprise you if the media went out of it's way to find the most extreme examples to represent as the norm? 

Of course they do.  It ain't newsworthy to do a story on a bunch of guys who play rambo on the weekend unless there is something sinister they could sensationalize the story with.  I'm just speaking of my own limited experience around those types.  A year or two ago I looked into a few of the militias in the area, but got the vibe on where they stood by they things they were saying without actually saying it.  The links they had on their websites also told a story on what those organizations supported.

I'm not prejudiced to the idea of regional militias, it's just that it attracts a certain type of person, and if those people are the pervasive influence I couldn't be associated with that for personal and professional reasons.

RE:... TMF's post above (...#29...)... Right here strikes an interestin chord with me from the "long ago":

'm not prejudiced to the idea of regional militias, it's just that it attracts a certain type of person, and if those people are the pervasive influence I couldn't be associated with that for personal and professional reasons.

Back in the seventies there wuz an interestin little gunshop near midland center in Maryville that had a pretty good selection of hunting and shooting stuff... I used to drop by from time to time and it wuz interestin to walk in and talk a bit...During those days; i wuz spendin lots of time lookin for good shotguns and "N" frame smiths...

When ya walked in; everything stopped ALA the old time "stranger in town" thing from the westerns and all eyes were on you...

As TMF described; the "vibes" were very interestin there too... I aint too much of a "vibe" person; but this place gave off some interestin ones--even noticeable to me... I always got the impression that it wuz kinda like the galactic empire vs the ragtag rebels thing; and you could figure out pretty quick that they saw themselves as the "rebel" element...

These guys were friendly but they would never opine on anything... They replied when spoken to; but passed out no opinions...Whenever i visited with these guys; i always felt like that i had been "mentally and spiritually" interrogated and every word spoken and action made while in the place wuz analyzed and duly catalogued... It wuz all unspoken, but really real (...to me at least...)...

This place is long gone now; but i always thought it wuz interestin... Several of my childhood buddies did lots of business with them... I never asked about the "vibes" but i kinda knew they were sympathetic to them...

There is a fine line between patriotic organizations and "others"... I can see the militia thing as being manned by concerned folks who are, in fact, patriotic... I can also see that it can easily be inhabited by anarchists and nuts... It's the anarchist and nuts ya have to worry about...

leroy, lookin back

• Like 2
Militia-minded folk are an interesting hodge-podge of ideals & ideologies, the one trait that they all seem to share in common is that they believe that they should be able to think for themselves, decide stuff for themselves & that they should be able to say whatever they like even if other people find it offensive, I know that concept sounds crazy as hell doesn't it?

That is the reason why militias appeal to people who have "verboten-beliefs" such as racists, homophobes, etc, because they are allowed to belong because of the basic premise of individual freedom which drives the formation of the militia group to begin with.

But that is also the reason why those militia groups are demonized, I mean how dare they be allowed to have thoughts, opinions & beliefs that I disagree with?!?!

I could never be part of a group where people had any sort of non-state sanctioned thoughts ....

I think you'll find something else in common, in virtually all the cases, they were helped out at some point by a federal agent or somebody acting on behalf of a federal agent.

I've got a list here of 39 terrorist plots against the United States which have been foiled since 9/11.

The one thing that they all have in common is that all of the terrorists had planned on killing as many infidels/people as possible in the name of Allah or Mohammad or Jihad or whatever twisted "do as we say or die" ideology they are attempting to spread.

So yea it makes perfect sense to train our servicemen & women to think of "right-wing"extremists are the real threat, but only if the Commander in Chief of our armed forces was just pretending to be a Christian.

Guest Lester Weevils

Back in Jr High school in 1963 New Orleans, a friend's dad was a mild mannered TV repairman involved with, as best I recall, the Minute Men group. More recently I think there may have been other Minute Men groups, not as far as I know associated with the organization of that time. They were caching military material, preparing capability to spearhead the counter-revolution after domestic commies take over, which at that time they expected to happen "any day now." :)

Of course they do.  It ain't newsworthy to do a story on a bunch of guys who play rambo on the weekend unless there is something sinister they could sensationalize the story with.  I'm just speaking of my own limited experience around those types.  A year or two ago I looked into a few of the militias in the area, but got the vibe on where they stood by they things they were saying without actually saying it.  The links they had on their websites also told a story on what those organizations supported.

I'm not prejudiced to the idea of regional militias, it's just that it attracts a certain type of person, and if those people are the pervasive influence I couldn't be associated with that for personal and professional reasons.

The stereotype could well be true, dunno. In my middle years had a hippy-liberal flavor of proto-libertarian world view. Was purt anti-gun because gun folks I'd dealt with in my youth were unhinged rednecks from hell. So when I finally got interested in guns, seriously not joking, a big hangup was steeling myself to go into gun shops because I expected to have to deal with wall-to-wall knuckle-dragging deliverance types. The same kind you meet in the most dangerous cuttin-n-shootin, hole-in-the-wall redneck bars. It was a pleasant surprise to find that such fellers are relatively rare, and to find that the typical gun enthusiast is a fairly level-headed likeable sort.

Just sayin, I suppose it is possible that the expected personality characteristics of militia folk could be similarly skewed. As far as I know, for decades I have not known any people who run in those circles. I don't get out much. Never can tell.

Edited by Lester Weevils