Park Carry Bill Update?

Guest realmarauder

this has been placed behind the budget, my guess is that it's going to set there till the very end and asslam will veto it after the current session ends and the bill will be dead for at least another year.

this has been placed behind the budget, my guess is that it's going to set there till the very end and asslam will veto it after the current session ends and the bill will be dead for at least another year.

He can't "veto" something that hasn't been passed by both chambers.

Bills are automatically dead when session ends anyway, have to be resubmitted in new session.

Btw, feller on another forum informs that Haslam has sent his revised budget, so theoretically committee can now see if money is there to pay for it, says he actually expects it to clear committee. Overly optimistic IMO, but we'll see.

I'm still a bit confused about the whole fiscal note on the thing period.

- OS

Guest realmarauder

looks like the assembly is looking to adjourn on tuesday so this bill is dead in committee unless they vote it today. this is so infuriating, it was the only bill i was really interested in passing because i'm tired of having to drive into another county to take my son to a park to play and be able to protect him. F johnson city and their tyrants.

I guess it wasn't much of a priority to the politicians to pass anything meaningful for folks with handgun carry permits.  They want to say they are Pro 2nd Amendment but then they don't want you to be able to carry a gun anywhere, even with a permit.  If they were truly 2nd Amendment, they would let people with permits walk around the metal detectors at the Statehouse in Nashville. 

Just remember that they want for us to pay for a permit to keep a gun in our car but then the permit isn't good in a lot of places outside your car.  A lot of states don't even make people pay for a permit to do the same thing as far as keeping a gun in your car.  I can 10 minutes across the state line in Mississippi and have any kind of loaded gun in my  car or anyone else's car without a license, no matter where that car is parked.  If I was a Mississippi resident, I could get an enhanced license and carry inside schools.  People in Mississippi can go to Rangemaster and take basically the same class we take in TN and carry just about anywhere an off duty cop can carry.  Schools, 'no gun signs', any park are all ok with an enhanced license.  I guess the TN politicians are scared of folks with permits.

The whole safe commute deal was written so poorly that you cannot even store a loaded pistol in a car that you are a passenger in if you say stop at a school.  These guys can't even write a bill plain enough that states people can keep loaded pistols in any car on school property WITH a permit.  The car must be 'in your possession' which I take it as you must be the driver or own the car.

I'm convinced that 2nd amendment wise that this majority R in TN is not much better than the D majority a few years ago.  What have the R's done for us after having a super majority the past few years?  Not much of anything, except making permit records confidential.

Edited by 300winmag

The whole safe commute deal was written so poorly that you cannot even store a loaded pistol in a car that you are a passenger in if you say stop at a school.

The permit holder in control of the car is authorized to store firearms in the vehicle. It doesn't say he has to own the firearms. Applies to schools same as any other parking area.

Not to mention the defense of picking up/dropping off at schools.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I understand that the person with the handgun carry permit must be in control of the car, but it would have been simpler to just state that anyone can have a loaded firearm in ANY vehicle parked anywhere.

The politicians made this more complicated than it had to be because like I said, if I am riding as passenger in a friend's car, and we stop at a school for a meeting, I am not covered as far as putting a loaded pistol in his car's console if he does not have a handgun carry permit.

It was a poorly written bill, even with this year's revisions, and made more complicated than it had to be.

I understand that the person with the handgun carry permit must be in control of the car, but it would have been simpler to just state that anyone can have a loaded firearm in ANY vehicle parked anywhere.

That is a separate bill, handgun permit not required. Looks like the citizenry is deemed not responsible enough to handle such a freedom as that.

But you suggested it is unlawful for a passenger to have his gun in the vehicle on school grounds, and I don't see where that's the case in fact, unless on his person without a permit.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

It was my understanding that you cannot have intent to go armed with a firearm on school property unless you are picking up or dropping off passengers or you are covered under safe commute.

I thought that if you didn't fall under those exceptions, you would need to unload before you even got to the school and put it in the trunk.

Edited by 300winmag

It was my understanding that you cannot have intent to go armed with a firearm on school property unless you are picking up or dropping off passengers or you are covered under safe commute.

I thought that if you didn't fall under those exceptions, you would need to unload before you even got to the school and put it in the trunk.

When would you not be doing one or the other? Of course you can't walk around outside the vehicle with one on school property.

You mean you're worried about having it in the car before you actually get to a parking lot or to the place you're gonna stop and pickup/drop off?  That seems a bit overwrought to me. After all, you're more than likely on city streets going through a campus anyway, just like any other thoroughfares.

Matter of fact, I walk packing amid "school property" on public city sidewalks frequently, and am not really worried about it.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Guest realmarauder

well it's dead for the year. we really need to change how those comittees work, they shouldn't be able to adjourn as long as legislation is waiting to be voted on.

The NRA needs to work really hard at giving the politicians that pulled this a bad rating and prop someone up during an election who wants to fix this.

Well, if you can get M. Santos to deign to meet with or speak to a Tennessean who is a non-legislator we might be able to get that done, but as for now, he is being led by the Establishment Republicans to do what they want, at their schedule, which is nothing in the vein of furthering firearms Rights in this State.  I can attest also, that the NRA has not reached out to Sen. Beavers, not once all year, though I can promise, the offer from her to speak was made, as I was party to it.

The NRA needs to work really hard at giving the politicians that pulled this a bad rating and prop someone up during an election who wants to fix this.

I don't think we can rely on the NRA to do anything for us at the state level. And I'm OK with that as long as they keep any more federal level restrictions from coming down on us.

We need to all be members of the TFA and send them our support. The TFA is the organization that is going to focus on these issues with TN state law. I heard John Harris outline his plan for the upcoming elections at the recent Knoxville TFA meeting, and I think it is our best chance at fixing some of the issues with the supermajority that no longer wants to listen to us.

• Like 1