[Push Reel Mowers] Which one to buy?

• Moderators

I posted a while back about purchasing a push reel mower this Spring. Well, the grass is about to grow....a lot!

I am interested in the Scott's 2000-20 on Amazon, but since I have no experience with these mowers I'm mainly going by the number of reviews.

Any input or anything to steer me in a different direction?

Unless you're a masochist, or have less than 100 sq. ft of lawn, listen to MacGyver.

FYI - the grass type should dictate the blade count on the mower. 5-blade is for finer stand-up grass like fescue and KY blue. 7-blade is for thicker stuff that lays flat like Bermuda. If you commit to a reel mower, then really commit to it. You need to mow it often or you'll struggle more.

Edited by monkeylizard

I had one for a little while.  I treated mowing as aerobic exercise, and I loved finishing the yard and not smelling like fuel/exhaust.   (for the record, I still  daydream about the Exmark I used to use long ago - it happens almost every time I mow.. .and think of how long ago I could've been finished   :pleased: ).

As much as I liked the reel mower, it would NOT cut weeds consistently.  So, if you have one type of grass blade in the area you are mowing - go for it.  If you have any weeds that have a tough stem, I would think about a remedy for that.

I now use a Ferris WB.  -though I still like the idea of a man-powered reel mower!

Good luck!

I like idea of using a reel mower.  Great exercise and get your lawn mowed all at the same time.

But.... Oh noooo,  "Only in America do we go to Sears and purchase a riding lawn mower and a tread mill".  :D

I don't have a treadmill. I hang my clothes on the stepper machine.
  • Like 2

When I was growing up I had two and a half acres on the side of a mountain to mow.

My mother bought me a self propelled mower. When I ran over a rock and warped the shaft, she bought me a reel push mower.

I haven't said a kind word to that evil woman in twenty years.

And neither have I mowed a lawn again since.

Don't forget to pick up a weedeater.

And people complain about getting carpal tunnel form a keyboard? HA

Vintage%20Craftsman%20Grass%20Garden%20C

Man... flashbacks...   Haven't seen those in ages, but had to use them as a kid. Good for building forearm strength... 

Edited by peejman

I have used one. I wouldn't mind having one myself. Why pay to go to a gym when you can burn the calories and do some home maintenance?

That's the logic used by almost everyone who has one of those devil-machines. When you realize that you need to already be in shape to use one, AND have to mow every few days unless you're Mr. Universe, that's when it starts rusting in the corner while you ride a John Deere. The first mow after 8 straight days of rain and you'll cuss more than a sailor's parrot.

• Like 1