oehler chrono parts?

Are you sure they are out of business?   I have an Oehler 33 and talked with tech support about 6 months ago.  I needed the Oehler 33 manual as I misplaced mine.  They answered my email promptly.

http://www.oehler-research.com/index.html

Oehler Research, Inc.
P.O. Box 9135
Austin, Texas 78766
(512) 327-6900 | FAX (512) 327-6903
Toll Free (800) 531-5125

http://www.oehler-research.com

sales@oehler-research.com

• Like 1

I did talk with them about a year ago when the shooting incident happened. Unfortunately they don't still make the sky screen II replacements so I would need to purchase two of their sky screen IIIs. And that unfortunately is way more expensive than just buying a whole new modern outfit. I still have hopes of finding a used replacement somewhere.

Thanks for the link, I did think they were out of business as none of the links I had worked.

I understand the cost of the skyscreens vs units today but I would have to replace skyscreens for the Oehler 33 if I shot one.  I have had my unit set up beside some other units that sell for less than $200 and would rather buy skyscreens for my older chrony than depend on one of these units.  I bought my Oehler 33 in the late 80's or early 90's before the 35P was available and have gotten a lot of service from it.  IMHO there is Oehler and then there is everything else....  :)

Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion and that is mine... :)

Edited by deadeye111

Actually on mine it's the whole thing that missing. He shot off the complete end. All that's left is a bare wire. I would agree on the Oehler stuff. The one I have is a old Model 12, the second model they came out with. And while it works, it's sort of an antiquated operation. It does not read out the fps directly, but you have to translate it through a cross reference after turning a knob and reading a meter. It's kind of impressive that it works considering what most people are used to today. I like it, but spending $70+ on sky screens for something this obsolete seems pointless when you can get a newfangled one for just a little more. The 33s and 35p were much nicer units and certainly if I had one of those replacing the screens would be a no brainer.

Here's a photo of what I have.b8ab2f89-0eef-43d2-8569-db0b0700a521.jpg

Dolomite,
The skyscreens on the Oehler are what sends the signal to the unit to start and stop thus won't work without them. You are thinking about the diffusers that show you the window where the skyscreens will read.

I was not familiar with the Oehler Model 12 and agree that I wouldn't replace the skyscreen for that unit either.... Edited by deadeye111
  • 8 months later...
Guest K7Sparky

Seez

looks like you have II skyscreens.

At least the form factor they are the same as the II I have on my 33 that I bought in 1984 - several years B4 the III and the 35P.

My 33 is like the Timex.

I have added a jack for external power supply / battery pack.  Got tired of forgetting the 6 D cells and cleaning up the mess.  Actually jack / protection / regulator.  I can should post some pictures if someone likes the idea.

I just ordered the 35P - now only comes as a complete set.  This thread got me thinking of all the years I have lusted after one and decided it was time B4 they disappeared again.

The skyscreen III (which is all there is now) are a BIG improvement for detection window and keeping the crud out.  It is worth a call to make sure they will work on your 12.  Still a good investment.  If you get a newer model they work and the price just keeps creeping up.  The resale is always good on skyscreens - as long as you let your buddy shoot over yours. :stunned:

Stop bye the Oehler booth at the NRA AM in Nashville next year and say HI to Ken. :up:

My 33 is like the Timex.

I have added a jack for external power supply / battery pack.  Got tired of forgetting the 6 D cells and cleaning up the mess.  Actually jack / protection / regulator.  I can should post some pictures if someone likes the idea.

I am interested in seeing what you added to power the 33 and agree with your assessment that the Oehler 33 "will take a licking and keep on ticking"

Edited by deadeye111
Guest K7Sparky

I started with a 8V 3 terminal regulator 7808 (what I had on hand) and standard wall wart jack, reverse polarity diode and a SPDT switch for internal / external power.

I have ordered a 7809 to give a try with 9V instead of 8V.  I talked with one of Ken's engineers and don't expect any change, but want to try.

No real issues, but want to see if I can get a last few minutes before I start getting errors as day fades.  Looking at the circuit on the last page of the manual I don't expect anything different.  Since I moved to the farm and can shoot anytime I want I am getting more pickey than when I was limited to ranges.

I haven't seen a 33 manual on line.  I scanned mine and would post if there was a place someone could direct me to. :wave:

Expect a posting with a crummy hand drawn schematic of my input power mod with several options and cautions in a month or so.  My main concern is putting out information with wall warts and having someone using a + sleeve or AC instead of + center - sleeve. :down:

I haven't seen a 33 manual on line.  I scanned mine and would post if there was a place someone could direct me to. :wave:

I have a Oehler 33 instruction manual with the schematics on page 15 in pdf file that one of the customer service guys sent me via email.  I don't mind sharing if you send me a PM with email addy or you can call Oehler and ask for the manual.  They sent a brochure about the 35P... :)

i ended up just buying a whole new unit. cant remember now which one but its easier to use and set up. funny thing happened on my first time out with it. was checking some rounds through an AK everything working great then i pulled the trigger and got a double. second round hit the metal wire that holds the diffuser dead center. bent the crap out of it and pissed me off but still works fine. did a little more work on the fcg and got the doubling issue resolved for good.  

i ended up just buying a whole new unit. cant remember now which one but its easier to use and set up. funny thing happened on my first time out with it. was checking some rounds through an AK everything working great then i pulled the trigger and got a double. second round hit the metal wire that holds the diffuser dead center. bent the crap out of it and pissed me off but still works fine. did a little more work on the fcg and got the doubling issue resolved for good.

Is it an Oehler chronograph?

no it's one of the all in one units, ProChrono digital I believe. Works good. Was a lot easier to use than my old Model 12. Although you do look like some mad scientist using it. The model 12 looked like it came out of the 60s with a big black knob and yes/no indicator meter.

I don't have any experience with the ProChrono digital but I am glad it works for you.  One of my friends bought a RCBS and we set it up along side the older Oehler 33.  The RCBS worked OK first trip but second trip not so much.  We were working up loads for AR15 and from that time on used the Oehler 33.  I would love to have the Oehler 35P but can't justify it as long as the 33 works.  My 33 has the Generation 3 skyscreens like the 35P only doesn't have the proof channel.  I learned a lot more about reloading after buying and using the chronograph when working up loads.