Taurus/Back Up Gun

I've heard mixed reviews on these guns.  I've heard that they're all crap and to stay away from them because respectable gunsmiths won't touch them, but I've also heard that the auto's are hit-or-miss but the revolvers are halfway decent.  I'm looking for a decent back up gun for on the job (don't ask about the job) but I'm not looking to spend a million dollars for something I hope I never have to deploy except at the range.  I've already got the "if it'll save your life it's worth the money" argument before so that doesn't apply here.  If I can get a halfway decent .38 snub-nose or 9mm pocket pistol I'll be content but I'm only really wanting to spend between $250-400.

• Admin Team
If I had $400, I'd look at a lightly used or new on sale S&W 442 or 642. On any lightly used j-frame for that matter.

The Taurus revolvers are a far cry better than their autos. They're not the best in the book by any stretch, but they're certainly not the worst.

If you're looking more to the $250 side of the equation, I'd look at some of the Charter Arms revolvers. They're not light and they're not pretty, but they are reliable work horses that won't break the bank.

My money's on the j-frame.
I'll go against the grain and tell you how much I love my Taurus TCP 380. It's stupidly accurate for a pocket gun, and ammo wise it eats any FMJ I've put thru it, and for carry ammo I run the Glaser Safety Slugs or FMJ because they feed very well in the little guy. I've never run a hollow point thru it, so I can't speak to feeding/liking that bullet.

I run a box of shells a month thru it just so I keep proficient with it.
  • Like 2

I also have a TCP .380 as a pocket pistol.  I was in the market for an LCP, but my mom had recently picked up a TCP so I shot hers.  It was not only comfortable to shoot, but at 5m (15ft) I was able to put a mag inside a 3 inch dot.  Plus I got mine new for $250 w/ 2 mags.  For the price, concealbility and reliability I can't complain about my Taurus.

And I'll add that my Uncle has one of those knockoff Berettas that Taurus makes.  About 15 years ago he was shooting some kind of crap ammo through it and somehow some of the jacketing lodged in the barrel making it unsafe to shoot.  He sent it to Taurus and they replaced the barrel for free, so that gives me confidence that they're a stand up company. 

I came by two Taurus .38 snubbys in Iraq and the frames on both of them were cracked and had been repaired by an Iraqi "gunsmith".  I'm assuming the frames cracked because they were shooting ammo out of it that they shouldn't have been shooting.  The cracks ran from the rear of the gun to the cylinder.

I had a Taurus 605 .357. It was my carry gun for a year. I put a Hogue monogrip on it. I put .38 and .357 mag ammo through it every month or two, and I never had a problem with it. Timing, lockup, trigger were all fine. The only reason I got rid of it was that I was uncomfortable with the behind-the-hammer lockout device.

You would be crazy to not spend the extra little bit of money and get a 642.  I'm sure every now and then Taurus makes a good gun that works right, I've handled the TCP and I will agree that it is impressive.  BUT... how many threads on this board can you find where someone has had an issue with their Taurus?  A lot more than you can find where someone has had a problem with their 642.

Edited by 10-Ring
Over the last 20 years, I've owned at least a bakers dozen Taurus pistols; both autoloaders and revolvers. Calibers ranged from .22 to .44 mag and .45ACP.

I can honestly say I've not had a problem with any of them. Are they the best on the market? No. Are they safe and dependable? That depends on who you ask.

Do I trust my life to them?

Actually, only to select ones. That because I've shot them enough to feel comfortable to carry.

I've had a PT145 Pro that rivals the G36 in accuracy, dependability, and comfort to shoot. Also have a M85 in 38 that is awesome. Does it outshoot my Smith wheelies? No. But it works.

Now in the interests of total honesty, my least favorite Taurus has been an early model 94(?) .22 4" revolver.

I just couldn't get accurate with it. Me or the gun? I don't know. But it is one I didn't keep.

One the whole, I do prefer my Smith&Wesson guns. But I'm not afraid of the Taurus either. I'd buy another at the right price...today.

for a backup gun that will work every time you need to find a j-frame.  a new or used one.  if you can not find a j-frame then the other brands small wheel guns will work.  small pocket 9's are hit and miss.  most work after 200 plus rounds break in.  but you just don't know what is going to happen at round 201.  but i do know a j-frame works right out of the box.  

[quote name="frankmako" post="1131563" timestamp="1396102563"] but i do know a j-frame works right out of the box. [/quote] But it don't fit comfortably and concealed in the back pocket. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll join the chorus for the Taurus TCP.  I've owned two with serial numbers ending in B and C (still got one) and both stood me in good stead.  I understand the earlier A models had some problems but it appears Taurus worked those out. 

[quote name="Wiljo05" post="1131796" timestamp="1396135738"]If you call around you will still find the TCP for $199. If you decide on one I can point you to some NIB at that price in mid tn[/quote] I'm interested in this info--just decided today I'd like to pick one of these up for pocket carry.
Guest theconstitutionrocks

you are correct they don't.  but still they are good guns.  the kel tec p3at makes a great back pocket gun. 

That 3at is a good small back up piece but it kicks like a B****.....course if you really need it that's the last thing on your mind

I currently own a Taurus PT111 9mm and in the past a snub .38 85UL. I have not carried the PT111 but it seems to be a reliable weapon, a little wide due to the double stack mags. I never bought a holster for it so it just stays around the house. I traded the 85UL on a Keltec P32 at a gunshow in Knoxville about 8 years ago. I like the KT much better than the revolver for what I use it for, pocket carry, warm weather very light cover garment, or ankle carry. The P32 is not near as painful to shoot as the P3AT and holds 1 more round in the mag. I have a J frame but just don't carry it much, nightstand gun. 

I would look at the KT, or the Ruger LCR or LCP, LC9 lineup also.

I'm not sure what your primary weapon is but if you carrying a full size Glock there might be advantages to a baby Glock that would share mags. I owned a G27 in the past, it is also a lot wider than the KT due to double stack mags but might be something to consider.

Edited by McGarrett
I have had issues with Taurus autos before, both were Milliminum models. It is a shame too because I really wanted to like them. My FIL has a Judge that has had light primer strikes but other than that it is an ok firearm.

I am assuming that you work for an agency? Some don't allow less than six shots, some don't allow .380, and some only allow one specific model. Make sure your backup is an authorized weapon. Also remember your yearly qualification of fifty rounds and the cost and the pain involved with shooting fifty rounds in 5 minutes. I had two friends swear to never qualify with their small guns/big calibers ever again.

The thing about a good quality pistol is that it retains it's value. So if you ever want to sell it, you'll get a good return. I bought a Ruger LC9 for about the price you are talking about. It has been 100% reliable with everything I have put in it. The trigger, however, is awfully long. You can pick up a Taurus hammerless ultra-light snubby for a little over $300.  They really don't shoot that bad.  I used to have a model 85 UL, with a Crimson Trace grip.  I would rather carry the LC-9. It is easier to carry and I have it loaded with 9mm +P, 7+1.

Edited by Will Carry

Wow!  Thanks for all the input, folks!  About the TCP: I've seen it in the store, I've looked at it, and I wouldn't mind one for, say, a tuck away console gun or something like that in my car.  What I'm specifically looking for is something that has a bobbed or concealed hammer (so the J-frame would work well) that packs a big enough punch that if I need to I can shoot through my pocket when the fecal matter impacts the rotating oscillator.  Hence the want for a .357.  I don't mind the 9mm round (I'm not a fan of the .380 as a backup or a primary because it doesn't have the punch that a .38 or a 9 has) but if I have to shoot from inside my pocket I'd have to hold the slide shut then rack the next round manually.  I'll take this info and run with it, though.  Thanks again!

Wow!  Thanks for all the input, folks!  About the TCP: I've seen it in the store, I've looked at it, and I wouldn't mind one for, say, a tuck away console gun or something like that in my car.  What I'm specifically looking for is something that has a bobbed or concealed hammer (so the J-frame would work well) that packs a big enough punch that if I need to I can shoot through my pocket when the fecal matter impacts the rotating oscillator.  Hence the want for a .357.  I don't mind the 9mm round (I'm not a fan of the .380 as a backup or a primary because it doesn't have the punch that a .38 or a 9 has) but if I have to shoot from inside my pocket I'd have to hold the slide shut then rack the next round manually.  I'll take this info and run with it, though.  Thanks again!

In my officer days I found an enclosed hammer j frame my favorite bug. I always wanted a 6 shot 327 Federal Mag, s&w 632. I settled for a 642 or 640, sometimes a LCR but it was always a 38spl. I just always imagined while deploying a bug I would be in the perfect condition for a small auto to malfunction.

I use to have an LCP back up and like a dumb butt sold it and before the guy got out of site I was regretting selling it. I  picked up another one and I won't be getting rid of this one. It is not something I would depend on solely for defense but makes a great back for my regular carry guns. When I am going into less that comfortable areas while out I will have both with me.............jmho

If you want the toughest little snubby get a Ruger SP101 in .357, of course they're also the heaviest. I got mine for around $380.oo but that was in 01. I'm sure they are around the $500 range now. Because of the weight they are not the ideal backup gun but I will bet you will never break it or wear it out.
  • Like 1