TN OC bill passed Senate

Same thing as thread on Van Huss HB2409/Beavers SB2424, Harwell gave orders to roll to last committee day even though Van Huss was there to present, effectively killing the bill.  If it wound up on the floor for consideration it would have passed like in the Senate 25-2, can't have that from the supposed conservative supermajority.

• Like 2
TN Senate votes for open gun carry without permit Posted: Apr 08, 2014 2:33 PM CDTUpdated: Apr 08, 2014 2:34 PM CDT

469993_G.jpg

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - The state Senate has passed a bill to allow Tennesseans to openly carry guns without a state-issued permit.

The chamber voted 25-2 in favor of the bill sponsored by Republican Sen. Mae Beavers of Mt. Juliet.

Beavers said the measure would keep the background checks and training requirements in order to carry concealed firearms, but would allow anyone legally allowed to own a gun to carry it openly.

The bill would also remove state restrictions on the location of ammunition when firearms are being transported in vehicles, and would allow guns to be removed from cars on school property for the purposes of moving storing them in another part of the vehicle.

The companion bill is awaiting a vote in the budget subcommittee of the House Finance Committee.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Edited by SonnyCrockett
Q-tip, check out HB1480/SB1774. They allow HCP-less car carry. Appears to be a good chance of passing too. Senate floor tomorrow and House Calender and Rules Committee tomorrow or the day after!
  • Like 1

That means that if we carry concealed we have to pay for that privilege but a legal gun owner does not have to pay for the privilege to carry openly......... :stunned:  :stunned:  :stunned:  No classes required and no professional classes on proper gun handling and safety. Just strap it on and go for it if you can legally own it. Sounds like someone may have finally figure out just what the 2nd Amendment really means but it also might make us look like Dodge City Kansas or Tombstone Arizona back in the 1870's too................. :hiding: :hiding:

• Like 2

That means that if we carry concealed we have to pay for that privilege but a legal gun owner does not have to pay for the privilege to carry openly......... :stunned:  :stunned:  :stunned:  No classes required and no professional classes on proper gun handling and safety. Just strap it on and go for it if you can legally own it. Sounds like someone may have finally figure out just what the 2nd Amendment really means but it also might make us look like Dodge City Kansas or Tombstone Arizona back in the 1870's too................. :hiding: :hiding:

Naw... you didn't just say that, right? They're just talking about doing what kentucky has done for as long as I can remember.

• Like 3

Don't worry about it. We would be the 31st state to allow it. Dodge City and Tombstone haven't been in the news lately.

http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=103
  • Like 3

Nope look at the states that do have open carry not a bloodbath to be found... Look at the states with no permit required for CC being AR, AK & VT no bloodbaths there either... One of the reasons I'm are moving to TN is that it has more sensible gun laws than MI... 

Don't worry folks, unless a bunch of people light up the phone lines over the next few days, there is no chance this is going to get on the House floor. Bill and Beth have decried it dead.

It may prove the end for Charles Sargent though, he has a real competitor in the primary, who has some money, and this time his carrying the water for Haslam will get noticed.

• Like 3

Nope look at the states that do have open carry not a bloodbath to be found... Look at the states with no permit required for CC being AR, AK & VT no bloodbaths there either... One of the reasons I'm are moving to TN is that it has more sensible gun laws than MI... 

I thought one could OC in Michigan and the permit laws were on par with Tennessee.

I'm guessing you've never traveled to Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas, Missouri, Kentucky, Virginia, or North Carolina to see the carnage that happens there from unlicensed OC.  :ugh:

• Like 3

Ah, I see.  Baby steps though. 

Yes baby steps have been made when I first moved to MI in 97 you could hardly mention the word handgun without being locked up (LOL) to today where MI is Open Carry and now a Shall Issue state as compared to previous May Issue... If they would simply do away with the silly handgun registration and the laboriously convoluted laws that surround it would be so much better it is in the works but going very slowly...

Open or concealed, someone who assumes the responsibility of carry should get some basic training.  Anyone who assumes that the HCP course is training is fooling themselves.  Problem is I don't trust the general population to act responsibly, as I have already seen how most who get their HCP end their 'training' there.

• Like 1
[quote name="chances R" post="1136048" timestamp="1397046786"]Open or concealed, someone who assumes the responsibility of carry should get some basic training. Anyone who assumes that the HCP course is training is fooling themselves. Problem is I don't trust the general population to act responsibly, as I have already seen how most who get their HCP end their 'training' there.[/quote]I couldn't agree more.

Open or concealed, someone who assumes the responsibility of carry should get some basic training.  Anyone who assumes that the HCP course is training is fooling themselves.  Problem is I don't trust the general population to act responsibly, as I have already seen how most who get their HCP end their 'training' there.

I can't and don't agree at all... As American citizens we should not have to beg for permission to exercise what was a given right the right to self defnece... Secondly I don't assume that any state required course is training at all; it is a hoop that that the state makes you jump through in order to exercise your rights! And the problem is not the GP it is that the Criminal Element does not abide by the law in the first place and prays on the GP....