body armor

Ive been looking into getting a plate carrier and some body armor plates for a shtf situation. Can anyone point me in a certain direction as far as manufacturers and reliability/ergonomics? The only one ive seen at the shows is ar500 but I know there has to be more choices. Looking for at least 3a protection to withstand rifle calibers.

Good info.

Does anyone have any experience with Condor plate carriers?

I'm ignorant and trying to learn something here folks. :cool:

http://www.condoroutdoor.com/condor-qpc.aspx

I bought one thinking it would be a cheap carrier to use and abuse then throw away. Turns out the Condor stuff is really good quality, especially for the money. The one I bought works really well and seems to hold up well too.

• Like 1

I bought one thinking it would be a cheap carrier to use and abuse then throw away. Turns out the Condor stuff is really good quality, especially for the money. The one I bought works really well and seems to hold up well too.

Good to hear and Thank you.

A gentleman I was corresponding with about some of the ar500 plates was recommending them. The price is impressive...read as affordable.

As long as you buy a quality steel plate with spall protection, good spall protection, it will be better than 90% of the ceramic plates out there.

Buy this but add the $25 PAXON build up. That puts it at $110 and it is a great plate.

http://www.ar500armor.com/ar500-armor-curved-trauma-plate-advanced-shooters-cut-10x12.html#.U0X3I2eA1ZQ

Do not buy the "lightweight" plate as it is a pistol caliber only plate.

Here are videos of their plates being shot.

http://www.ar500armor.com/armor-test-videos.html

Be aware that some of the videos is before they started offering the PAXON coatings.

I have used a lot of steel plates overseas and liked them a lot more than the ceramics. I would prefer steel over ceramic any day.

Edited by Dolomite_supafly

I have used a lot of steel plates overseas and liked them a lot more than the ceramics. I would prefer steel over ceramic any day.

See, that's where we have to dissagree. I'd rather have ceramic and never use steel. My work makes us use steel even though they know the effects of spall. We have tested them at the range. And no one wants them there. We have a connex full of ceramic yet can't use them. Anyways, just not a fan of steel. I'll take a lightweight 2lb ceramic over a heavy steel plate anyday. Although I get many people don't want to drop $800 on one light weight ceramic, let alone two when the cost of steel is super cheap and appealing.

Definitely don't have coating at work. Haha

with the coating yeah it's a great plate. No cons but weight really. I just prefer ceramic. Always liked them more. Just personal preference.

Sure if you have the money then ceramic is great especially if you depend on it daily but for the majority of us a plate carrier is gonna stay in a vehicle or closet and get more shelf time than actual wear. Ceramic plates can and do crack and become compromised steel doesn't.
Guest theconstitutionrocks

the OP mentions SHTF...If you think the plate may have to stand up to multiple hits over several different engagements over a period of time, then, IMHO, coated steel is the way to go for durability. Ceramics have a life cycle, have lower multi-hit resistance, can crack if dropped.

Now, that said, ceramics ARE lighter and, to the best of my knowledge, can protect against Level IV threats (30.06 AP) where standard AR500 steel plates cannot (unless you increase the thickness to something like 1/2 inch in which case you are pretty much a static target). Polyethelyene is good, very light weight, but subject to high heat damage (dont leave in the car in the sun) and cannot stop AP threats.

Lastly, is the law of averages....how many gunfights is a person going to get in before the bad guy targets the head or other unprotected body part (gut, upper thigh). In engagements out to 200 meters, headshots are definitely doable and THAT part has to be visible for you to return accurate fire.

Yes, it'll stop M855. M855 is a steel core round. Designed to penetrate armor more than M193. If it stops M855, it'll stop M193.

I know what they are. And in theory I would agree but as surpising as it seems I have read anecdotes of m193 sailing through some ar500 target plates that stopped m855 by its sheer velocity. I will have to look into it further when I get home and see if their videos or site sheds any light or if others have done independent testing. Edited by Refleks
  • 2 weeks later...

In my some what informal testing cast bullets will penetrate when jacketed round will not. I was firing cast lead bullets from a 1911 at 100 and 130yds and was sinking them through a 3/8" steel plate every time while the jacketed rounds from the same pistol would just "pop" and leave a little gray poof of dust. also while shooting at the same steel plate at the same distance I ran some 5.56 through an AR which acted exactly as the jacketed .45 rounds. This plate was NOT AR plate so YMMV but I mention it just as a comparison. I don't own plates or a carrier at this time but have been looking into them. A guy at the Murfreesboro gun show this weekend quoted me a pretty good price (maybe?) on a carrier with front and back 3a shooters plates for $400 otd. I have not looked into what he was offering as he didn't have any more plates with him and doesn't have them on his website but says he does have them. It worked out to $200 for the soft carrier and $200 for the set of front and back ceramic plates. Like I said I'm unclear of the age of the plates so you'd have to contact him yourself but here's his web address www.tacoutdoors.com

He did mention the website was being setup presently so i'm not sure whats on there but his contact info should be on there if interested in making contact with the guy. If anyone here has a reason why someone shouldn't deal in "gunshow vendor plates" please speak up.

Edited by Luke E.