I'm finding myself wanting an M&P Shield lately...

TGO David

• Administrator

I don't necessarily need another handgun, and I've got plenty of others to choose from, but for some reason lately I'm finding myself wanting to add an M&P Shield to the collection.  I already have a Springfield XD-S in .45ACP for pocket carry and it does that job nicely.  The Shield seems a big bigger, which means it wouldn't be right for pocket carry and if I'm going to carry inside the waistband I'm going to just tote my Glock 19, M&P 9mm or one of sundry others which have higher capacity.

So the thing is, I keep thinking about buying one, but don't exactly need one.

:squint:

This is why the wife puts me on an allowance.

• Like 1
I went from a Shield to a XDS and then back to a Shield. Size wise, they are almost the exact same. It seems like the XDS may be longer but shorter. I believe the shield in 9 and 40 both shoot smoother and faster. To be fair I have not shot a XDS 9. The Shield is definetly more bang for the buck at more than $100 savings.

I just looked, the XDS is longer but shorter which is no biggie. However, I just realized that the XDS is 2oz heavier. I couldn't believe how how noticeable 2 oz actually was when I transitioned over between the two models. Edited by Patton
I have a shield in 9mm and use a iwb holster when I use the extended mag. Very light but easy to aim and shoot. It does have a pretty heavy recoil spring which would account for the lighter IMO felt recoil. Mine and wife's has run 100% with any ammo we have shot through it. One of our keepers. Also like the single stack 8+1 Edited by joe45
I have nicer pistols than my shield. That said, it is my favorite carry pistol. It is small enough to conceal well, but I don't feel under gunned carrying it. I got my HCP in 1999, and the shield is the pistol I've been wanting for the last 15 years.
  • Like 3
I've only fondled them up till now, not owned or shot one. Having said that based on the feedback I've read here and how they fit my hand, I'll most likely end up with one at some point.

Anyway, Tresoso nailed it. If most of us only started buying "what we need" 1/2 the gun stores in TN might go under!
  • Like 2

You can't go wrong with a Shield.

I was sure impressed shooting yours. If it weren't for being long term very pleased with my somewhat smaller PM9 (I less round, though),  I'd probably be after one  too.

Real plus for those who want a manual safety, too.

- OS

Need??? What's that got to do with it?

I don't need 90% of what I have. But that just doesn't seem to matter when the "I desirebut I don't need it" feeling rolls around. Or worse yet, it's at a good or better than good price. Then I have to have it.

• Like 2
I am a larger than average, but find the Shield extremely easy to pocket carry. It's marginally larger in a pocket than a j frame. I have done it a lot but I find a Glock 26/27 about the biggest gun to comfortably pocket carry, a slightly modified Glock Sport Combat holster really helps with safety and concealness in a pocket.

I carry the Shield daily. Shoots great! Just put it side by side with the XDS.  Well dimensions are not really noticeable though they both feel different in hand.  Shield has a lighter trigger to me since the XDS recall. To me I found the front sight quicker with the XDS, but its nothing that can't be modified with the Shield.  Both pointed naturally to me with both having a higher sight picture till I adjusted my wrist but that maybe only because I need more practice.  That said, a Shield to the gun 'stable' has been a good thing from my experiences.

Here is what I really love about this gun. Have you ever been out driving around and one of your friends calls and wants to go to the shooting range? In the past, I would have to go home and get a gun to take to the range because I didn't really want to shoot the small pistol I was carrying. With the shield, I am always ready to go to the range. I enjoy shooting it as much as my bigger pistols. I know it sounds like I'm doing a commercial for S&W, but I just really like this gun. The only drawback for me was the manual safety, but it hasn't been a problem.
  • Like 2