Sig is suing the ATF over the MPX

• Moderators

Sig has filed a lawsuit over the ATF decision regarding the muzzle brake on the MPX. The ATF classified the brake as a suppressor component and has determined that the MPX cannot be sold without a form 4. Sig and their clanking balls have decided not only to sue the ATF in an effort to force them to reverse their decision, but has also named Director B. Todd Jones directly as a defendent. This means that the ATF must respond within 21 days. I think I just became a Sig fanboy. 

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/04/foghorn/sig-sauer-sues-atf-calling-muzzle-brake-silencer/

• Like 9
I once contacted the ATF by phone to ask if I could make a "muzzle brake" for several weapons then register a single tube and move it from gun to gun. I was told that muzzle brake would be considered baffles.

I was big into 22's at the time so I was going to use a brake with multiple chambers, like a Miculek, and thread the outside so a threaded tube could screw over it. I was thinking it would at least make the 22 a little quieter.

I never wrote a letter to get it in writing like some of my other ideas.
  • Like 1

.... Sig and their clanking balls have decided not only to sue the ATF in an effort to force them to reverse their decision,....

Particularly since they're making out like a bandit on the SB15 Brace decisions. After asking their various reviewers to whom they supply product to keep mum on actually shooting it from the shoulder, now that the second decision is in, they've contacted them all to go 180 and publicize that aspect.

Then again, I guess rather than counting itself lucky on that one, I guess it has emboldened them further.

'Course, being a significant defense contractor increases testicle size too I reckon.

- OS

• Like 2

Particularly since they're making out like a bandit on the SB15 Brace decisions. After asking their various reviewers to whom they supply product to keep mum on actually shooting it from the shoulder, now that the second decision is in, they've contacted them all to go 180 and publicize that aspect.

Then again, I guess rather than counting itself lucky on that one, I guess it has emboldened them further.

'Course, being a significant defense contractor increases testicle size too I reckon.

- OS

ATF has publically said that it is perfectly legal to shoulder the Sig brace and fire it from the shoulder. Pretty much nullifying the need to SBR a rifle.

• Moderators

- OS

I've joked repeatedly that Sig must have an entire department devoted to giving the ATF the finger. I'm not sure it's a joke anymore. I am seriously getting the impression that Sig has a hardon for the NFA and is going after the idiocy of the ATF's rulings pretty much full bore. When I refer to their clanking balls, I mean it. Sig is showing a hell of a lot more testicular fortitude than the NRA, GOA, SAF and other so called gun rights organizations by directly attacking the NFA. I got nothing but love for them and pray they have continued success against the ATF.

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 9

ATF has publically said that it is perfectly legal to shoulder the Sig brace and fire it from the shoulder. Pretty much nullifying the need to SBR a rifle.

Yeah, that's what I meant by the "second decision", just a week or so ago. Made it irrefutable, even to all the scaredy cats. :)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Either way it is $200, either to SBR or Sig brace with a proper length tube.

Well, yeah, lion's share of that ... you can get the brace and say one of the nice KAK tubes made just for it in your hands for $175 or less, assuming you already have a buffer and spring lying around.

But the associated non-NFA freedom is priceless. :)

- OS

I've joked repeatedly that Sig must have an entire department devoted to giving the ATF the finger. I'm not sure it's a joke anymore. I am seriously getting the impression that Sig has a hardon for the NFA and is going after the idiocy of the ATF's rulings pretty much full bore. When I refer to their clanking balls, I mean it. Sig is showing a hell of a lot more testicular fortitude than the NRA, GOA, SAF and other so called gun rights organizations by directly attacking the NFA. I got nothing but love for them and pray they have continued success against the ATF.

If I'm not mistaken SIG has more than one Federal contract as well...or their products are just very well liked among those whose bills are paid by US Treasury checks.  They might just have a little more juice when taking on the government.

• Like 1
Im thinking that sig is trying to incrementally get rid of crappy gun laws. Think about it, make a crapload of Sig braces get them on market, get an ATF opinion saying you can shoot them from shoulder. Then lobby to abolish the SBR law that doesnt mean jack anymore. Fortunately Sig is one of the few people that have the funds to do this.

I know im gonna have to look over sigs lineup and find something they have for me to buy. Might have to rethink my dislike for DA/SA pistols...
  • Like 2
  • Administrator

Im thinking that sig is trying to incrementally get rid of crappy gun laws. Think about it, make a crapload of Sig braces get them on market, get an ATF opinion saying you can shoot them from shoulder. Then lobby to abolish the SBR law that doesnt mean jack anymore. Fortunately Sig is one of the few people that have the funds to do this.

I know im gonna have to look over sigs lineup and find something they have for me to buy. Might have to rethink my dislike for DA/SA pistols...

The P227 is tempting.

Guest semiautots

If the ATF bullies say the tube is the suppressor, then the tube is the supressor.  A bunch of  washers in my garage could be converted to a "muzzle break" that could be converted to a can. 

Make a ruling and stick with it.  It's so stupid.  Allow M855 but ban 7N6.  Blah, blah.

Sig does need some PR repair after some of the models with problems they have released in the past few years.  I love my Sigs, I just seem to be not interested in any of their non classic P series guns.  I really wanted the P938, but I am not rolling the dice on my life, I still may have one, but one that is used and is proven!  Of the many Sigs I have, LOVE THEM ALL!  :love:

Guest copperhead_1911

Sig has filed a lawsuit over the ATF decision regarding the muzzle brake on the MPX. The ATF classified the brake as a suppressor component and has determined that the MPX cannot be sold without a form 4. Sig and their clanking balls have decided not only to sue the ATF in an effort to force them to reverse their decision, but has also named Director B. Todd Jones directly as a defendent. This means that the ATF must respond within 21 days. I think I just became a Sig fanboy. 

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/04/foghorn/sig-sauer-sues-atf-calling-muzzle-brake-silencer/

NOt like a little thing like the constitution ever bothered the current admin. I would hope this lawsuit is successful

[quote name="nightrunner" post="1136936" timestamp="1397176980"]I would probably buy one of everything they make if they would add a manual safety to allow cocked and locked carry.[/quote] They have a 226 they make which can be carried cocked and on safe, same as a 1911. It is the smoothest pistol I've ever shot. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Guest copperhead_1911

If any previous administration followed the constitution, we would not have gun laws.

Good point, but even with the patriot act by bush, Reagans machine gun ban and so forth no president has been more hostile to the constitution and our nation as Barack Hussein Obama.

• Moderators
[quote name="copperhead_1911" post="1137483" timestamp="1397265368"]Good point, but even with the patriot act by bush, Reagans machine gun ban and so forth no president has been more hostile to the constitution and our nation as Barack Hussein Obama.[/quote] Abraham Lincoln Theodore Roosevelt Woodrow Wilson Franklin Delano Roosevelt. Without these four presidents' actions while in office, Barack Obama would not have been possible. While their love of nation may be debated one way or another, their hostility to the Constitution is without doubt. So, who is more terrible, the one who does a thing or the ones who make it possible for a person to do that thing?
  • Like 2

I'm not holding my breath and it almost pains me knowing that OUR tax dollars will be funding the BATFE's legal defense should it make it that far BUT if SIG can even bring up the possibility of reversing SBR/SBS rulings, that's a step in the right direction, with MANY more to follow but you've gotta crawl before you can walk and you've gotta walk before you can run. Let's see where this heads...

I'm not holding my breath and it almost pains me knowing that OUR tax dollars will be funding the BATFE's legal defense should it make it that far BUT if SIG can even bring up the possibility of reversing SBR/SBS rulings, that's a step in the right direction,....

?? It's about their muzzle brake being classified as a suppressor, not SBR/SBS.

- OS

[quote name="Oh Shoot" post="1137918" timestamp="1397357033"]?? It's about their muzzle brake being classified as a suppressor, not SBR/SBS. - OS[/quote] That was poor wording on my part, really meant NFA in general, not sure where my mind was there. :p Sent from the future using a flux capacitor. Edited by whitewolf001
  • Like 1