Open carry bill defeated in the house

Well this sucks, so now what? NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - A bill seeking to allow Tennesseans to openly carry firearms in public without permits has been defeated in a House subcommittee. The House Finance Subcommittee voted 10-1 on Monday night against the measure sponsored by Republican Rep. Micah Van Huss of Jonesborough. Van Huss told reporters after the vote that he will abandon an effort to circumvent the committee and call the bill for a full floor vote. That motion would have required the support of 66 representatives in the 99-member chamber. The full Senate had passed its version of the bill on a 25-2 vote last week. The measure sought to eliminate the state's background and training requirements for openly carrying guns in public, but would have kept the permit rules in place for concealed firearms. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.

What now what? This is not a surprise. We carry as we always have. This never stood a chance; too much revenue comes in from the permit process.

Defeated in the FINANCE sub-committee per the letter OS posted.

Steel is right, it is all about the money.

Tax revenues, the crack and meth addiction of guv'mint...

Ironically, I think the "Car Carry" bill that did pass will cost the state a lot more money in permit revenue than permitless open carry. 

I know quite a few people that only want to get an HCP to carry in their vehicle.  I don't know anyone who didn't already have an HCP that was planning on open carrying if the law passed. 

• Like 2

I know quite a few people that only want to get an HCP to carry in their vehicle....

That was my initial reason to get one. Like many people I kept a heater in vehicle most of the time anyway. Didn't even know it was illegal until I got popped for it in '95, that's how little I paid attention to gun laws back then.

- OS

Ironically, I think the "Car Carry" bill that did pass will cost the state a lot more money in permit revenue than permitless open carry. 

I know quite a few people that only want to get an HCP to carry in their vehicle.  I don't know anyone who didn't already have an HCP that was planning on open carrying if the law passed.

I didn't know this. What exactly does it mean now? You can carry a loaded gun in your car, or is it just that you can have an unloaded gun and ammo in the same place in the car?

I'd say it's true that folks get the HCP to primarly carry in the car. I got mine so I could legally carry when I wanted to. I rarely carry all day every day, probably because I haven't found the right set up yet and my job doesn't allow it. However, I wanted to be able to carry if and when I wanted to and be legal about it. Turns out, with the setup I have now, I only carry if I'm going somewhere, and I usually keep the heater (that's such a great term OS) in the car when I get there. I guess I'm one of those car carriers. 

I'd be interested to see how the revenue changes with this new bill. Whether folks that want to carry will get the permit regardless or if most will forget about it and just tote it in their car. 

I'd say it's true that folks get the HCP to primarly carry in the car. I got mine so I could legally carry when I wanted to. I rarely carry all day every day, probably because I haven't found the right set up yet and my job doesn't allow it. However, I wanted to be able to carry if and when I wanted to and be legal about it. Turns out, with the setup I have now, I only carry if I'm going somewhere, and I usually keep the heater (that's such a great term OS) in the car when I get there. I guess I'm one of those car carriers. 

I'd be interested to see how the revenue changes with this new bill. Whether folks that want to carry will get the permit regardless or if most will forget about it and just tote it in their car. 

Most people I know carry on their person most of the time.  I do know quite a few "car carriers" though.  Might make for an interesting poll topic.  I carried on me everywhere I possibly could until a recent job change.  New job (small company) allows carry but the nature of the job is not friendly to the gun (very dirty.)  For the first time in years I'm not carrying near as much as I used to.  Glad I still can when I want to though.

Most people I know carry on their person most of the time.  I do know quite a few "car carriers" though.  Might make for an interesting poll topic.  I carried on me everywhere I possibly could until a recent job change.  New job (small company) allows carry but the nature of the job is not friendly to the gun (very dirty.)  For the first time in years I'm not carrying near as much as I used to.  Glad I still can when I want to though.

You said that right about carrying when you want.

I probably should have said "SOME" folks get an HCP to carry in the car.

The way the law was written, and the intention on how it was supposed to be enforced, would have lead me to vote no on the measure as well. If we want to talk about open carry, or consititutional carry, legislation then we should be talking about laws similar to MS. If I remember right, their open carry measure was ultimately stopped by a judge with an adgenda, but it would have allowed for compete carry without a permit. The "open carry" law that was shot down in the House Subcommittee left way too much open ground for misinterpretation in enforcement.

The whole issue stems around the defiitions of "concealed," and "visible." Even though those two seem like simple words to define, what is the definition of concealed and/or visible. If you ask 50 different people, you will get 50 different answers. Say you don't have a permit, but you are operating under the open carry because you have the pistol in a OWB holster: now take that scene and apply it to the fall, where the winds can get pretty bitter cold, and you need to wear a jacket. So you leave your jacket unzipped so that people can visibly see you carrying, however from a side view its concealed. Would that fall under the Open Carry aspect and legal....or would that fall under Concealed Carry and now illegal because you don't have a permit?

The second and third order effects on that is that those of us that carry for lawful, and consituational, carry would still get a permit to cover all vague defining issues like that. Remember, when it comes to your livelyhood, and your ability to carry a firearm, you do not want the law to be vague on whta you can or can't do.