SB 1672 - extend time period for carry permits

Maybe I have just overlooked it but I haven't seen any discussion of this bill on here:

http://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/BillInfo/default.aspx?BillNumber=SB1672&GA=108

I think such a move, while not as good as some of the bills that were killed in an underhanded manner 'in committee' this year, would still be of great benefit to permit holders.  It basically would make an HCP good for five years instead of four (meaning the ongoing ransom on our rights would work out to $10 a year.)  Another part of the bill would allow the expiration date of an HCP to eventually be moved to the HCP holder's birth date, just as with a driver's license.  The second part would be more convenient, I suppose, but it is the extension of the valid time period that I like most about the bill.

Thing is, not being up on my legislative jargon, I am not completely sure where this bill stands.  It looks like it passed the Senate (says, 'Enrolled and ready for signatures) but for the House it just says that the comparable Senate bill was substituted for the House version.  I see no record of a vote in the House so is this yet another beneficial bill that passed the Senate but was killed in the House without ever really receiving a vote?

It really looks like there needs to be a cleaning of the House in the next election.  The House Rep. for my district, Kent Calfee, signed on as a co-sponsor to multiple pro-carry rights bills this year so I think he is probably okay on this issue (although I need to see if I can find more about his voting record.)  The Senator for my district, Ken Yager, did not sponsor or co-sponsor any pro-gun or pro-carry rights bills in this session so I really need to find out more about his voting record as related to these issues.

I don't think of myself as a 'one issue' voter but a candidate's stand on gun rights is sort of my 'litmus test'.  I might not vote for someone just because I like their stance on gun rights if I disagree with them on many, other issues but I absolutely will not vote for someone if I do not agree with their stance on gun rights.  By 'stance', I don't just mean the blah blah blah they spew at election time but also their record in office (which is why Haslam will not get my vote for governor in the future.)

Edited by JAB
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went back and looked at the bill history, again.  It looks like it did pass the house (but that passage was listed under the activity in the Senate, not the House - I guess because the comparable Senate bill was substituted and then passed in the House.)  In fact, it looks like it passed the Senate with 31 Ayes and 0 Nays and passed the House with 89 Ayes and only 1 Nay (the 'No' vote came from a Rep. named Cooper) so I guess now - unless I am completely confused (which is always a possibility) - it just needs the proper signatures and it will be going to the Governor.  Given the lack of opposition in both Houses, I would hope that even MAIG Haslam won't have much problem signing it or letting it pass.

As I said, it ain't Constitutional carry or even open carry without a permit but for those of us who have HCPs, I think this is a really good thing.  I am glad the media didn't get ahold of it and start crying about 'even longer between subsequent background checks' or some, such nonsense.

Edited by JAB

I just feel sorry for the folks who, by virtue of the timings necessary to align issuance/renewal schedules with the DL process, have to pay for a 7-year permit - $152, according to the fiscal note.  True, the per year rate remains constant, but the additional $40 upfront layout will be a burden for some.