Elk Ridge?

When I was a kid, my dad bought me a 'hunting knife' for Christmas one year.  I don't know right off where that knife has gotten to but I remember really liking it.  For a while, I couldn't recall the brand but today I remembered it was - or at least I am pretty sure it was - an Elk Ridge.  It had a blade similar in style to a Buck 119 with a stag (okay, probably faux stag) handle.  I never really 'abused' it but the blade was fairly thick at the spine so it was probably a pretty sturdy knife.  I remember that - with the help of one of my uncles - I put a razor edge on it and pretty easily maintained it that way.

Finally remembering that the brand/logo stamped onto the leather sheath was 'Elk Ridge', I looked on Amazon and noticed that they list several Elk Ridge knives, including a couple that I really like.  With the changes in legal blade length limit that go into effect on July 1, I have been looking at fixed blade knives and I am wondering if the quality of Elk Ridge is up to the standard of the one I had as a kid.  After all, I first received that one something like 30 years ago and I know that some (many?) of the more budget-minded knife companies that used to make good stuff now mostly make junk, instead.

Keep in mind that I am not looking for an heirloom.  I am looking for good quality and usability for under $50.  Under $30 is even better.  I don't want 'junk' and I want something that looks pretty nice but something that won't break my heart (or wallet) if I lose it.  I'd like to find several knives with those, general features so I am also not expecting to buy one knife that will be 'the only knife I will ever need.'

I prefer knife companies like Elk Ridge, Buck and so on because - just as I prefer wood and steel over polymer for rifles - I prefer wood/bone handles and more 'traditional' blade styles to 'tactical' blades, for the most part and those companies offer such knives at price points that appeal to me.  So, anyhow, anyone have any first hand experience with any of the current offerings from Elk Ridge?

Edited by JAB
  • Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic