My First Handgun

mhl6493

Well, as of today, I'm now the owner of a new Ruger GP-100 .357 Magnum revolver.  Stainless steel, 4" barrel.  My first ever handgun purchase -- but definitely not my last.  And so the addiction begins.  All donations to the Mhl6493 Handgun Fund will be greatly appreciated, though probably not tax deductible...  :D

• Like 1
Good choice! They are super easy to take apart and out together so get into YouTube to see how and give it a good top to bottom cleaning. Ruger is know to overpack their stuff with grease, plus its a great way to get familiar with your new acquisition while you wait to go to the range. :up:
  • Like 1
[quote name="mhl6493" post="1140613" timestamp="1397952142"]Will try to post pictures when I get a chance -- and when I figure out how...[/quote] You'll need to post them to an online service like photobucket or something similar. Great handgun to start out with. They're built like a tank.
  • Like 1
I have a few and love them. They make me look like I know how to shoot. To me running 38's through them is like shooting a 22 mag. 357 mag is like a 45acp. Get a few speed loaders and shoot the hell out of it. If you live to be a 150 you may wear it out.

Enjoy ;)
  • Like 1

Don't own a GP, but have a pair of SPs, I think you made a great choice!

I like the dude that says to himself, "first gun, it's got a be .357" since that was how I did it...with a Colt King Cobra...it was love at first sight.

Remember, you can shoot .38 special which will be more fun and economical than a day at the range blazing away with .357

Of course, blazing away with .357 is pretty awesome...

• Like 1

As far as ammo goes, the guy at the gun store recommended Fiocchi 38 wad cutter for target shooting (the cheapest 38 he had in stock), and Hornady Critical Defense in 357 Mag for home defense.  Sold me a box of each.  Neither seemed particularly cheap, but I don't really have any experience to measure that by.  What would y'all recommend for: 1) Target shooting; and 2) Home Defense.  I have a wife and a daughter at home, and I don't want stuff flying through walls unnecessarily.  

Well, as of today, I'm now the owner of a new Ruger GP-100 .357 Magnum revolver.  Stainless steel, 4" barrel.  My first ever handgun purchase -- but definitely not my last.  And so the addiction begins.  All donations to the Mhl6493 Handgun Fund will be greatly appreciated, though probably not tax deductible...  :D

Good buy, get good at shooting, save up for the next one.

If WalMart has it in stock, the 130 grain Remington 38 special is an economical and accurate load to shoot. For 357 mag, I actually like the Magtech stuff if you have any local dealers who carry it.

Better yet, reload.

and I will add get to casting as well.

• Like 1
There don't seem to be many junk rounds available for the 38. Even the aluminum cases blazer shoots straight. Buy whatever is cheap and on hand for target shooting, note that cheap is going to be a relative term with either 38 or 357.

As to a load for home defense, there aren't any that I know of that will be less than lethal with just drywall getting in its way. Shot placement is important. Get used to shooting and developed a game plan with your family to try and minimize the chances that someone will be in the line of fire as much as possible.
  • Like 1
For home defense I would steer you towards any brand name .38+p jacketed hollow point.

.357 is loud and will produce a good bit of flash, not necessarily the best choice if you have to use your handgun in a dark room at 2am.

For plinking and target I look for the cheapest 130gr. .38 special metal case/full metal jacket. I also like the mag tech 158gr .38spl lead round nose which has a comparable price point.
  • Like 1