Super lightweight AR

As I said in the title, I have in the works, plans for a light weight AR build. I have a Mag Tactical lower receiver just hanging out at the house that needs to be put together. I WAS going to couple it with a Faxon ARAK-21 upper assembly but decided against that as I want to do that on a SanTan lower later on. ANYWAYS, I plan on purchasing this all here soon, this is my current layout idea(s). Any critiques or opinions you guys could give or may have would be awesome to hear.

Lower: Mag Tactical magnesium/alum lower, a2 grip, Timney trigger, Magpul BAD, Mission First Tac Battlelink Minimalist stock(Currently has Magpul ACS stock that will be delegated to the future ARAK build), Daniel Defense alum sling loop, Troy ambi mag release, standard USGI parts the rest of the way through.

Upper: Mag Tactical magnesium/alum upper, Young Manufacturing Super Light chrome BCG, BCM KMR 13 magnesium/alum keymod rails, BCM CHF 16" lightweight-fluted barrel, Spike's Dynacomp or Battle Comp 1.0 pending on how frisky I feel, BCM/VLTOR CH mod.A44(ambi latch) or possible Rainier Arms Raptor, Troy Sights(DOA-rear, HK-front, also, I know I could go lighter with the sights but I LOVE Troy's. :P ), AimPoint compM2.

Edited by whitewolf001
I'm doing a similar build. I just ordered a mag tactical upper yesterday. I already have the bcm rail, mag tactical lower, and lwrc uciw stock. I think I'm going to do a 14.5 DD light weight middie with a pinned blackout FH 51t. I haven't decided which sights I want. Probably going to go with DD fixed sights or MBUS pro. I was going to buy a low mass jp bcg but after thinking about it, it would make more sense if I put an adjustable gas block to match it. I just decided it wasn't worth it to save 3-4 oz. I'm trying to keep cost under $1000 and I think that will push me over with the cost of a $2-300 bcg and $100 gas block.

I'm doing a similar build. I just ordered a mag tactical upper yesterday. I already have the bcm rail, mag tactical lower, and lwrc uciw stock. I think I'm going to do a 14.5 DD light weight middie with a pinned blackout FH 51t. I haven't decided which sights I want. Probably going to go with DD fixed sights or MBUS pro. I was going to buy a low mass jp bcg but after thinking about it, it would make more sense if I put an adjustable gas block to match it. I just decided it wasn't worth it to save 3-4 oz. I'm trying to keep cost under $1000 and I think that will push me over with the cost of a $2-300 bcg and $100 gas block.

Just FYI, I bought a JP low profile gas block off Brownells. $45.00 with C&R.

You work at a gun store, correct? If you can get dealer pricing it should be the same. I was going to go with a cheaper YHM block for a build I'm finishing. But then I saw how cheap these are right now, shoulda bought more, JP makes good stuff.

If you don't work at one or can't get the discounted price, PM me ASAP (in case it's just on sale) and let me know. Edited by TrickyNicky

Just FYI, I bought a JP low profile gas block off Brownells. $45.00 with C&R.

You work at a gun store, correct? If you can get dealer pricing it should be the same. I was going to go with a cheaper YHM block for a build I'm finishing. But then I saw how cheap these are right now, shoulda bought more, JP makes good stuff.

If you don't work at one or can't get the discounted price, PM me ASAP (in case it's just on sale) and let me know.

Was it an adjustable gas block? Because thats what I was referring to, specifically an SLR rifleworks. Thanks for the offer but I think we might be talking about something slightly different. Edited by orientalexpress

Was it an adjustable gas block? Because thats what I was referring to, specifically an SLR rifleworks. Thanks for the offer but I think we might be talking about something slightly different.

Oh yeah, it's adjustable. I couldn't believe the price, I paid more than that on my first one for sure.

It's the one on the bottom for $75.00 http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/gas-system-parts/gas-blocks/ar-15-m16-adjustable-gas-blocks-prod7592.aspx?avs|Manufacturer_1=J%20P%20ENTERPRISES

Discount only shows when logged in.

Oh yeah, it's adjustable. I couldn't believe the price, I paid more than that on my first one for sure.

It's the one on the bottom for $75.00 http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/gas-system-parts/gas-blocks/ar-15-m16-adjustable-gas-blocks-prod7592.aspx?avs|Manufacturer_1=J%20P%20ENTERPRISES

Discount only shows when logged in.

Yeah, that is a pretty amazing discount.

It's gotta be a sale. If there weren't so many thing I need coming up I'd have bought more in a heartbeat. They don't have indents/detents or anything fancy to mark a position, but they are well built, and at that price a real winner IMO.
I don't have everything yet. So I can't really say however I can tell you that my build is inspired by the mag tactical air rifle. It weighs 4.7lbs. However the bcm kmr weighs quite a bit less than the fortis and I'm using a 14.5" barrel vs a 16" on the air rifle. I don't think I'm going to use a low mass carrier but I hope that adds up to <4.7lbs total.

I don't have everything yet. So I can't really say however I can tell you that my build is inspired by the mag tactical air rifle. It weighs 4.7lbs. However the bcm kmr weighs quite a bit less than the fortis and I'm using a 14.5" barrel vs a 16" on the air rifle. I don't think I'm going to use a low mass carrier but I hope that adds up to <4.7lbs total.

I'd be all about some 14.5" barrels if it weren't for the F'ing fact you have to pin em. Not a fan of that by any means.

What constitutes lightweight? I'd like to keep my 300 blackout as light as possible....

I'm shooting for the 4.5 LB range. The MagTac AIR-15 is 4.8, I wanna think my build is going to beat em. I am also now going to use the same brake that KelTec puts on their PLR16, it weighs nothing and is HIGHLY effective, best of all, it's $27 directly from KelTec. We used it on a 16" Saber-stein that a bud put together and it actually pushed the rifle down, albeit slightly but still...

Edited by whitewolf001
  • Like 1