My $400 "TGO Tribute" AR!

It's absolutely nuthin' fancy!  I wanted to build the most basic, cheap, light AR I could using the extra BCG from the TGO group buy. A few years ago I bought some poly lowers right before that last big gun control push... ya know... in case.  I was poor, hence the poly vs aluminum lowers.  AAAnywho, I had this stuff in a drawer under a mountain of PMAGS and when PSA ran a really good deal on their PTAC cheapie uppers I jumped on one.  It took about 2.5 weeks to ship, got it today.

The upper was minus BCG, CH, and rear sight.  I WAS gunna buy the cheapest things I could find, but it seemed like all the cheap stuff was out of stock at every site.  :yuck:  Some of you may remember my shameless solicitation in the gear classifieds looking for these parts.  I want to thank Ted S., Luke E, and TripleDigitRide for being SSOOOO generous with their time and parts bins!  There were more who offered help as well, and I'm grateful for all of you.  I had a goal of building an AR for $400, and it wouldn't have been possible without you.  These guys are why TGO is so awesome... the community and willingness to help/share is simply unbelievable.  (Side note, I've had a magazine for a .40 Sigma/SD listed in the Pay-It-Forward thread for weeks!  Somebody claim it!) 

Only goof I made in execution here was not noticing that this is a heavy barrel upper, not the lightweight profile.  :ugh:  With the poly lower, it's a bit forward-heavy.  Oh well. I'm alright with it for the price!  I haven't shot it yet.  Mebbe this weekend! :pleased:

The only thing I really wanna change is the grip.  I'm hoping to find a good deal on a Hogue rubber grip at the fun show in Mboro this weekend.  Not much to look at, but here it is!

IMG_20140422_155155_542_zps2dce78d1.jpg

Edited by musicman
  • Like 6

Well Done musicman....., Well Done!  :up:

Good example of how buying cheap and stacking deep pays off. 

I predict that after the fall elections, and regardless of its consequence, Barry Hussein will find yet another reason to come after us and you'll double your investment.

• Like 1
Looks good! :up:

One day I'm going to build a very budget oriented rifle to throw one of my 22lr kits in semi permanently. I try to maintain a budget every time, but I always seem to either splurge on an item or two, or underestimate the total cost.

I'm getting better though, last rifle built for awhile will be done soon, kept mostly to budget too. Think I'll be in around the same as yours, not including the strikefire. Just waiting on the gas block.

Maybe the fact that it's going to my brother has helped me keep on the budget. :rolleyes:
Thanks for the kind words, guys! I'm a little iffy on the lower... more specifically, all the plastic parts in the fire control group. No matter... the thing was dirt cheap and we'll see how she handles soon enough. I'm waiting to find someone who's sitting on a pile of aluminum lowers so I can trade a little paper, off the paper, for future builds. I don't know yet if I'll trust a poly lower long term.

Best of luck with the last bit of yours, Nicky. Hey, are you planning on hitting the fun show Saturday in Mboro?
I wouldn't worry too much on the lower. I got a few of them awhile back thinking if I hated the platform I wouldn't be out too much and if I liked them I could upgrade. Well I like the platform but so far haven't had any real reason to upgrade. The polymer is still holding up well. It doesn't get used under a lot of strenuous conditions, but it's my go to rifle for the range and goes every time. I don't own a case or bag so it's usually just tossed in the back seat or trunk loose.

If TSHTF I'd be surprised if I live long enough to break it or wear it out.

Thinking about it, might get some range time in though instead, or may sit at home broke :rolleyes: I'm afraid to check my account... Edited by TrickyNicky

I wouldn't worry too much on the lower. I got a few of them awhile back thinking if I hated the platform I wouldn't be out too much and if I liked them I could upgrade. Well I like the platform but so far haven't had any real reason to upgrade. The polymer is still holding up well....

Just depends on manufacturer and even time span made in. Certainly plenty of examples of catastrophic failure with some of them.

I had an Omni chip out part of take down detente/spring channel. Still worked, but sent it back, they replaced it, long story, but I sold it to the FFL where they sent it without taking possession. Only bought it cause was during the panic and only one I could get for less than arm and leg when I needed it, but still cost more than even a standard aluminum one is worth during "normal" times.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
I gotta find that thread where dude here did one a few months back. I have traditionally been against camo, but his rifle was AMAZING! I'll look for it when I get home and throw the link up here. It's flippin' sweet.

Also... that's the whole point of this gun for me.... try all the dumb stuff I'd be too afraid to do to a $1k gun! Haha!

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/74933-arts-and-crafts/#entry1123126

I'm sitting here by myself at Demo's in Murfreesboro enjoying my 3rd bowl of chicken and rice soup, so I did a little digging and found it. That's pretty much exactly what I'm wanting to do.

Demo's Chicken & Rice Soap for The WIN!!!!!!!!!  :woohoo:

Getting back on Topic......

Very, Very Nice Paint on that AR.  :up:  

Dogs?

Just kidding. I'd just recommend priming all plastic parts with a plastic primer, especially since the lower is polymer.

RC3: ....I would take away half the egg, add an AR, double the amount of bacon, and add a pot of coffee (and not adulterate it with creamer or sugar.)

Just depends on manufacturer and even time span made in. Certainly plenty of examples of catastrophic failure with some of them.

I had an Omni chip out part of take down detente/spring channel. Still worked, but sent it back, they replaced it, long story, but I sold it to the FFL where they sent it without taking possession. Only bought it cause was during the panic and only one I could get for less than arm and leg when I needed it, but still cost more than even a standard aluminum one is worth during "normal" times.

- OS

Certainly true, but even in those cases there were plenty of good ones made. Still some Plum Crazy lowers kicking around as I understand it. All in all I'd hazard that there are more good than bad out there. I wouldn't worry. I'd keep an eye on it, maybe a bit more so than a metal one, and it wouldn't be my choice developing any hot loads, but I'd take it out and enjoy a day at the range with it.

I can see how the plastic could chip and all, I'm actually thinking the lip around the mag well will start chipping before anything else on mine. Its kind of pronounced and sharp. When/if that happens I'll probably replace them with aluminum, but still not worried about the polymer.
Just an update: gun ran flawlessly today! All I had to do was move the rear sight 9 clicks to the left and we were golden! Wolfattack went prone and put 3 shots in one hole at about 20 yards with irons... good enough for me!

I took it easy going through the first mag. Later, we set up some water-filled jugs, loaded up both my ARs (I took this one, he had my fancier one) with 42rd mags and blazed through them in probably 20-25 seconds, then I burned through another 42rd mag to continue the carnage. Yea... the gun was HOT!!! All the grease and lube was smoking/ steaming off for about 2 minutes. Then I picked it back up and dumped another 30 chasing golf balls. :-)

I'm super happy with it! Perfect function, light weight, and no tendency to baby it! Flippin' SWEET!!
  • Like 2