AR Novice

DrCoxx122

Alright, I'm less than a novice.  I know NOTHING about AR's other than their historical and military applications.  I'd love to start building one or buy a base model and build it up.  Where should I start?  How much should I be looking to spend?  Can it be bought/made in calibers other than .22 or .223?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Read. Read read read as much as you can. I don't mean that in a negative way, I just mean there is mounds upon mounds of info on the AR platform, even on this site, for someone that wanted to learn. But, to answer your question of where to start I think it's most important that you answer the question of whether you want to build or buy. Right now is a great time to buy an AR and I know about once every couple weeks there will be specials that pop up for a $410ish carbine. Now, that's without any whiz-bang gadgetry, and it's a polymer lower, but you'd have a great place to start and learn the platform. Right now (to me) if you're building an AR it's because you want to, not really for cost effectiveness. I build all of mine because I'm a goober that loves to tinker, but if I were just getting started I'd be snatching up one of those great deals I mentioned and start shooting instead of waiting for parts to come in. If you just want the experience and pride that comes with building one, then by all means I encourage you to do so To your second point: AR's come in two halves; an upper and lower. The upper is the top portion that has your barrel attached and houses your bolt carrier group and charging handle, the lower is the portion that contains your fire control group and is what is considered the actual "firearm". Once you have your complete lower, whether you build or buy it, it's easy to buy an upper assembly that utilizes a different caliber. 300 blackout, for example, can be dropped onto a standard lower and it can utilize the same 223/5.56 magazine. AR's can be built in several different calibers, that's only one example. Whatever you decide to do, if you're really interested in AR's there's a lot of info out there to be read since it's such a popular platform, much more than can be contained in this thread alone. Edited by KKing

22 LR

9mm

40 S&W

300 AAC

7.62x39

7.62x51

You can use a lower and mate a 50 cal bolt action on.

There might be others.

Most are gas and there is a piston version out there.

An AR style rifle is available or could be in every caliber made. Everything from .22lr to .338lapua mag in semi auto and the extreme range calibers (.50bmg, .416barrett, .408cheytac, .375cheytac) are available in a bolt action upper.

Possibilities are endless.
I'm going to piggy back a few questions on this thread. Is there somewhere that explains to a novice the terms used for ARs? I really couldn't tell the difference between a carbine and piston, what's a charging handle for and so on? Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I would still say I am a beginner with the AR platform.  I read a decent amount before making my first purchase.  Learning the general knowledge, how it works, what the parts are called.  When I first started I did not even know what a bolt carrier group (BCG) was or consisted of. 

Like I said I am still a beginner but once I gained general knowledge I was ready to make my first purchase.  Reading helped me realize what I actually wanted in/from my first AR.  I couldn't be happier with my first purchase and I plan to build a SBR in the near future which I am ecstatic about. 

Overall my advice:

1.  Read

2.  Find out what you want

3.  Buy or Build

If you have any questions feel free to direct message me, there are others out there who have more knowledge than I do, that is for sure!

Edited by ls3_kid
Although there are a considerable number of resources on this site, and other forums, YouTube is a great resource. My first stop would be to the "SootchOO" channel. He has hundreds of quality videos up. Many include how to build or buy an AR and what things to look for. But like others on here have said, the first thing you have to decide is what is the rifle's intended use and then go from there.

Couple of years ago, the standard answer to the "Entry into AR" question was Smith and Wesson M&P Sport.  Entry level AR that will give you familiarity with the platform at under $700.  Several pieces of that weapon were better than you'd find on higher priced models from other manufacturers, even Smith themselves.  I'm not sure that model is still around, but if it is, I still would consider it one of the best buys out there.

It's also a great platform to start from by getting in cheaply, getting out to shoot immediately, and finding out what changes you'd like to make down the road with upgrades and customizations.

As far as information on the platform itself, the video series from ITStactical is where I learned to build an AR and what parts are necessary to put together a basic weapon.  Not only do they show you how to do it in real time, but they spend a little time telling you what it does... and how not to lose it during assembly.

Mac

I'm going to piggy back a few questions on this thread. Is there somewhere that explains to a novice the terms used for ARs? I really couldn't tell the difference between a carbine and piston, what's a charging handle for and so on? Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Do you possibly mean gas vs piston? Or Carbine vs pistol?

The charging handle is essentially for manually loading the cartridges into the the chamber for the first round in the first magazine, before the gas operation (unless you are using a piston upper) takes over and starts loading the cartridges for you after each shot. The charging handle does this when there is a loaded magazine in the mag well by pulling the bolt carry group back against buffer and buffer spring; when you let go of the charging handle, the spring and buffer assemble cycles the bolt carry group back into position; along the way,  the bolt face catches the cartridge from the loaded magazine as it is going back into the original position, putting the cartridge into the chamber.

After emptying a magazine, there is a bolt catch on the left side of the lower which catches the bolt making it to where you don't need to use the charging handle on successive reloads; the bolt catch holds the bolt back against the buffer assemble in a locked position, as if you were to pull the charging handle back and keep it held back. When the bolt catch is holding the bolt carry group, just insert a loaded magazine, then press the bolt catch lever to unlatch and this forces the bolt back into position just as mentioned above when you would let go of the charging handle.

You can also engage the bolt catch before loading the first magazine by pulling and holding the charging handle back, then pressing the bottom end of the bolt catch to engage this mechanism, then just proceed as if you were reloading...but that is generally too much of a pain in the ass, and I won't do it unless I am going to the range and need the bolt "open" when the range goes cold.

At least this is how I understand it.

Edited by Ted S.

My best advice for getting into the AR platform is to NOT rush on purchasing one. As mentioned, reading is key. I'd recommend taking up TrickyNicky's offer to get some hands on. The more hands on you get, the more you will know what you really want.