Found the one! Garrett Industries holsters

So as many of you know you usually end up with a drawer full of holsters before you find the one that works, but I got it on the first try this time. It is a Garrett Industries "Silent Thunder STX 2.0" http://www.giholsters.com/silent-thunder-stx-2-0/
I was a little hesitant because I hadn't heard of this company and they are a bit pricey, but after getting it all I can say is WOW! This thing is awesome. Adjustable cant, high quality leather lined kydex, adjustable tension, and it is the most comfortable closest riding holster I've ever had!
I had been a big believer in the Raven style and thought those were it, but this one puts them to shame. These will be my go to holster from now on. BTW - I did get the memorial day sale at 25% off and turn around was a week.
Here is the PPQ in its new rig.
aruqa8e2.jpgmynu3ute.jpgvyhyjuze.jpgu7ajere5.jpgevate5e3.jpg

Edited by Smith
  • Like 1
Yep, :-) best of all worlds. Thought it would be to thick but it isn't at all. No clicking and clanking when the gun is going in or coming out and it protects the finish a better.
  • Like 2
I had one, unfortunately my experience wasn't as good. Very good quality holster. My problem, which I believe is because the leather never got broken in, was while drawing it would pull my pants up entirely before the gun would come unholstered. That's even with a VERY snug gun belt. Maybe if I had patience to allow it time, I just couldn't
[quote name="gregintenn" post="1155197" timestamp="1401831861"]Neat design. I haven't seen one before.[/quote] I hadn't either, that's why I was a bit hesitant. Be honest I had an order in for a Zero Concealment (raven style) and wouldn't have ordered the Garrett had it not been for the discount. I will now without a problem. I was more than pleasantly surprised with the quality, turn around time, and their customer service is excellent. They also sell all their extra parts, clips, and anything else you need on their site.
[quote name="KKing" post="1155201" timestamp="1401832246"]I had one, unfortunately my experience wasn't as good. Very good quality holster. My problem, which I believe is because the leather never got broken in, was while drawing it would pull my pants up entirely before the gun would come unholstered. That's even with a VERY snug gun belt. Maybe if I had patience to allow it time, I just couldn't[/quote] This one has tension adjustment, so I don't have that problem. I could see that being an issue without that feature.
[quote name="Smith" post="1155205" timestamp="1401832578"]This one has tension adjustment, so I don't have that problem. I could see that being an issue without that feature.[/quote] To be honest I don't remember it's been so long ago, I think I got one when they first started up so it probably didn't. Might have to give them another try someday
I looked at the original STX due to its smaller profile but after talking to them the 2.0 holds 1/4 in closer to the body and has the tension adjustment. I didn't even think about that feature till you mentioned it. I'm glad I went with the 2.0

A PJ Holster is similar to this, without the leather lining and molded of a single piece of Kydex so no adjustable cant (but you can order the cant you want.) The advantage of the PJ Holster is you can easily slide it off your belt, where this one wouldn't allow such. I would think without the additional bulk of the leather the PJ Holster would also be slightly slimmer

About the only advantage I see is perhaps more weight distribution with two places it attaches to the belt, but I carry my XDS in a PJ Holster and forget it's there. Retention is adjustable as well. Maybe the leather will help some with holster wear on the slide though.

Edited by wtl

A PJ Holster is similar to this, without the leather lining and molded of a single piece of Kydex so no adjustable cant (but you can order the cant you want.) The advantage of the PJ Holster is you can easily slide it off your belt, where this one wouldn't allow such. I would think without the additional bulk of the leather the PJ Holster would also be slightly slimmer

About the only advantage I see is perhaps more weight distribution with two places it attaches to the belt, but I carry my XDS in a PJ Holster and forget it's there. Retention is adjustable as well. Maybe the leather will help some with holster wear on the slide though.

The only similarity is that they have kydex. Single point holsters for a full size gun is awful for me. Cant or no cant they will roll and tend to drag my pants down since all that weight is in one spot. That is why The Raven style using wings is so awesome. Distributing the weight carries the gun a lot lighter and it lets the belt do what it's supposed to do without having to cinch it down a size too small.  

The leather lining doesn't add any bulk. In fact it is just as thin as the Raven style holsters I've had and they are as thin as it gets. Garrett did a good job on this one.

• Like 1
[quote name="wtl" post="1155527" timestamp="1401919406"]A PJ Holster is similar to this, without the leather lining and molded of a single piece of Kydex so no adjustable cant (but you can order the cant you want.) The advantage of the PJ Holster is you can easily slide it off your belt, where this one wouldn't allow such. I would think without the additional bulk of the leather the PJ Holster would also be slightly slimmer About the only advantage I see is perhaps more weight distribution with two places it attaches to the belt, but I carry my XDS in a PJ Holster and forget it's there. Retention is adjustable as well. Maybe the leather will help some with holster wear on the slide though.[/quote] Dude...really? You cannot compare a PJ holster to Garrett industries. I'm a fan of PJ holsters for my small guns, but the 2 don't come close to equating in terms of product quality
[quote name="KKing" post="1155564" timestamp="1401927797"]Dude...really? You cannot compare a PJ holster to Garrett industries. I'm a fan of PJ holsters for my small guns, but the 2 don't come close to equating in terms of product quality[/quote] How so? Both are mostly kydex. What makes the Garrett so much better? I've never seen one up close so I honestly don't know. I just don't see how a leather lining equals higher quality. I did peruse their site and saw a single clip option which is my preference, so maybe I'll give one a try if I can ever find the CZ 2075 I want and need a holster for it. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2
[quote name="wtl" post="1155580" timestamp="1401929336"]How so? Both are mostly kydex. What makes the Garrett so much better? I've never seen one up close so I honestly don't know. I just don't see how a leather lining equals higher quality.I did peruse their site and saw a single clip option which is my preference, so maybe I'll give one a try if I can ever find the CZ 2075 I want and need a holster for it.Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2[/quote] Features, quality, and design: Kydex quality, Kydex thickness, fit/finish, tension adjustment, attachment points, adjustable cant, closeness of the carry, .... No offense to the PJ it has a place, but it's like saying a Honda accord is the same as a Ferrari because they both are partially made from aluminum.
  • Admin Team

I'd love to see some pictures of how that thing actually rides.

It's a nice looking rig.  I've found a Raven setup that I like, and that's the order I stick with.  But, I sure like the leather lining on this one!

I'd love to see some pictures of how that thing actually rides. It's a nice looking rig. I've found a Raven setup that I like, and that's the order I stick with. But, I sure like the leather lining on this one!

Being that it attaches very similar to the Raven, it rides similar. I will say the angle of the attachments makes it a lot less rough in the belt and rides smoother if that makes since. The Raven style puts a lot of stress on the belt as it comes through the slots. The Garrett is angled to fit better in this regard. Best I can do on how it rides. I like it about 3 but can conceal it better in a 5 position.

pehesuva.jpgy5yby9u9.jpg

Edited by Smith
Guest drv2fst

They claim that it is also for IWB.  How would that work?  I can't tell from their pictures how you would wear this IWB.

They claim that it is also for IWB.  How would that work?  I can't tell from their pictures how you would wear this IWB.

Not the STX or STX 2.0. The original Silent Thunder is modular but not the one listed above that I have.

Guest drv2fst

Not the STX or STX 2.0. The original Silent Thunder is modular but not the one listed above that I have.

It's how they have it listed on their website.  It's pretty confusing (at least to me).  They list it on a page that shows IWB AND OWB.  I guess they mean "this is all our holsters" and not "these are modular and can work IWB or OWB".  Check out the bottom of the page:  http://www.giholsters.com/concealed-carry-iwb-and-owb/

Oh well, I guess I'm just reading it wrong.

Edited by drv2fst