Permitless carry in vehicle

As of July 1st, anyone not prohibited by state or federal law from owning firearms may have loaded firearms in private vehicle.

edit:  Without a permit, school property statute and posted parking lots under 39-17-1359 still apply, though.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

As of July 1st, anyone not prohibited by state or federal law from owning firearms may have loaded firearms in private vehicle.

edit:  Without a permit, school property statute and posted parking lots under 39-17-1359 still apply, though.

- OS

Good to hear. I did not realized it passed. Any restrictions on what part of the vehicle, need to be in a holster, no round in chamber etc?

FL has been like that for years but it must be in a holster and in a glove box or center console. 

. Any restrictions on what part of the vehicle, need to be in a holster, no round in chamber etc? FL has been like that for years but it must be in a holster and in a glove box or center console.

None of that. Nothing about being hidden from view either. Applies to any firearm, not just handguns, so the technicality of an AR pistol with VFG attached is gone too.

- OS

edit: Here it is. As I understand it, this amendment became the actual passed bill:

SECTION 1. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 39-17-1307, is amended by deleting

subsection (e) in its entirety and substituting instead the following:

(e)

(1) It is an exception to the application of subsection (a) that a person is

carrying or possessing a firearm or firearm ammunition in a motor vehicle if the

person:

(A) Is not prohibited from possessing or receiving a firearm by 18 U.S.C. § 922(g)

or purchasing a firearm by § 39-17-1316; and

( B ) Is in lawful possession of the motor vehicle.

(2) As used in this subsection:

(A) “Motor vehicle” has the same meaning as defined in § 55-1-103.

( B ) “Motor vehicle” does not include any motor vehicle that is:

(i) Owned or leased by a governmental or private entity that has adopted a written policy prohibiting firearms or

ammunition not required for employment within such a motor vehicle; and

(ii) Provided by such entity to an employee for use during the course of employment.

SECTION 2. This act shall take effect July 1, 2014, the public welfare requiring it.

Edited by Oh Shoot

So, dumb question. If you carry on a motorcycle, does this law apply if you leave it in the saddlebag when you dismount?

I can't give definitive legal answer, but would assume that under intent of the law the answer is yes,   since motorcycles are indeed motor vehicles under TCA, and the bill mentions no exclusions.

Btw, with a permit, if the saddlebag is a lockable "container securely affixed to such vehicle", you're already been covered for that under 39-17-1313, including school property.

- OS

I was just at the chilhowee show and heard people talking about this.  Its definatly a step in the right direction.

I was there this afternoon and it was dead! Worst I have ever seen this show.  Father's Day might have had something to with it, too.  But heard a lot of table owners complaining about not selling much the whole weekend.  Prices actually didn't seem much out of whack from what I see here.

edit: Without a permit, school property statute and posted parking lots under 39-17-1359 still apply, though.

- OS

Do yourself a favor though keep it out of plain sight to avoid being drawn down on during a traffic stop or accident. I just hope Voldemort or the like don start riding around looking to test this :-/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.
  • Moderators
[quote name="Dustbuster" post="1159335" timestamp="1402861614"]Do yourself a favor though keep it out of plain sight to avoid being drawn down on during a traffic stop or accident. I just hope Voldemort or the like don start riding around looking to test this :-/ Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.[/quote] Oh, he will. Of that I have no doubt whatsoever. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 1

When does it go into effect?

Already did. Was immediate on becoming law, whatever exact date that was.

Haven't heard a peep regarding Knoxville City Council response. Maybe they're not even aware of the change for all I know. But barring official resolution and (presumably) proper signage, it's legal to carry in Knoxville parks/rec areas today.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Too bad under indictment isn't listed as a violation of 39-17-1307, so unless he has bail conditions which prohibit possession of firearms, that doesn't appear to be a limiting factor...  And knowing Voldemort as well as we do, that little opening probably would be enough for him to play games ;)

Last I heard he was under indictment on felony charges.

Too bad under indictment isn't listed as a violation of 39-17-1307, so unless he has bail conditions which prohibit possession of firearms, that doesn't appear to be a limiting factor...  And knowing Voldemort as well as we do, that little opening probably would be enough for him to play games ;)

Yeah, he can keep firearms he has, but can't receive any more as long as he's under the gun. Main reason he gave up FFL or it was terminated, whichever.

But he will lose his HCP for the duration of ... oh wait... ;)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot