What ever happened to the Remington 9mm

Ray Z

Don't mean to be this behind the times but what did happen to that little 9mm Remington put out for a real short while?

I know they were having problems with the rear sight but didn't hear any more about it.

Don't mean to be this behind the times but what did happen to that little 9mm Remington put out for a real short while?

I know they were having problems with the rear sight but didn't hear any more about it.

R51 ? It's out there, some TGO folks have one. And more probs than just with the rear sight on some reviews. But no word of a recall or suspended production that I know of.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1
Yup.. the rollout of the R51 seems to be a pretty epic fail, imho. Which is a bummer... I was hoping for used/like new Shields to flood the market at like $200/ea as everyone flocked to the lil Remmie. I wanna get one for each car, every room in the house, every backpack, you name it!
  • Like 1

Yup.. the rollout of the R51 seems to be a pretty epic fail, imho. Which is a bummer... I was hoping for used/like new Shields to flood the market at like $200/ea as everyone flocked to the lil Remmie. I wanna get one for each car, every room in the house, every backpack, you name it!

It could still happen if people flock to the safetyless shield coming out in the next couple weeks :rofl:

Yesss!!! There's still hope!! Haha!

I pretty much consider the Shield safety-less anyway! I think I flipped mine up and down a few times just because... other than that I've never fooled with it, and it has never yet engaged through all kinds of ridiculous carry shenanigans. :-D

Wow. That's a sure sign of a full surrender.

The R-51 was a great idea, maybe just rushed to completion way too soon. I really wanted to get one based on the ergonomics and size. but just too many negatives on it from day 1.

Very sad.

• Like 2

I hope they get it straightened out. I want one if it'll work correctly.

The original model 51's are awesome.

Agreed, I've never got to shoot one personally; but family members rave about having had one and how great it was. I guess that and its looks were what got me intrigued by it.

Last I read, all the ones that had been returned to the factory for service were still there. They apparently have no fixes for the problems.

It is being reported that Remington is offering a full refund if you call and ask.

It's also not listed on their website.

Total failure.

Wow, obviously I hadn't kept up with the saga. Didn't realize it was dead and buried at this point. Kind of hard to believe such a big outfit could release a flop like that.

It's one thing to put out something that the public just doesn't take to for one reason or other, but quite another to release one that just doesn't reliably function. I mean, even the Edsel worked fine.

- OS

I'm a serious fan of the original Model 51.  I got to handle one of the new R51's, and it does not compare favorably with the older model in my esteemed opinion.

Even if it were a perfectly-functioning model, it is too large and thick for a compact carry gun.  It seems bigger than my XDs .45, in fact.  And it just feels cheap.  And the ergonomics don't feel as good as the original 51.

Sorry Remington, I really did want to like it. 

I just don't understand how as a huge firearms company with no telling how many folks on your design/R&D teams...they come up with the travesty that was the R51. I mean honestly, I'm pretty dang sure that there are several gentlemen on this very board that if given the equipment could do a lot better, and we're all just barefoot hillbillies

I just don't understand how as a huge firearms company with no telling how many folks on your design/R&D teams...they come up with the travesty that was the R51. ....

Easy, "design by committee" combined with program managers that don't know or care how the product is supposed to work and are only concerned with budgets and timelines. 

Been there, done that.  :wall:

Easy, "design by committee" combined with program managers that don't know or care how the product is supposed to work and are only concerned with budgets and timelines. 

Been there, done that.  :wall:

And beta testing by an unwitting public who gets to drop $400+ for the privilege.

Add in 'project improvements' added at the last minute (generally just changes designed to lower production costs).  Without some strict management control, it's really easy for new products to end up as total lemons when the pre-production models were wonderful.  Usually, though, the first run off the production line goes through some very tough quality checks.  Obviously, Remington screwed that up, too.

And beta testing by an unwitting public who gets to drop $400+ for the privilege.

From what I've read, these functioned like pre-beta samples. 

Add in 'project improvements' added at the last minute (generally just changes designed to lower production costs).  Without some strict management engineering control, it's really easy for new products to end up as total lemons when the pre-production models were wonderful.  Usually, though, the first run off the production line goes through some very tough quality checks.  Obviously, Remington screwed that up, too.

To paraphrase prior conversations I've had....

Manager - "The cost is too high, we've got to implement these changes to get the cost down to our target before launch".  (because I won't get my fat bonus check if we don't)

Engineer - "Those changes haven't been validated.  We need another 8 weeks for that."

Manager - "No, the timeline isn't going to change.  You have to accelerate the validation program."

Engineer - "I can't.  It takes time to produce the hardware and run the tests.  9 women can't have a baby in a month."   <- yes, I actually said that once.

Manager - "Just implement them.  You can smooth out the rough edges later."

Engineer - "It's a lot more than just rough edges...   Launch could be a total train wreck."

Manager - "Whatever, either reduce the cost or senior management will go nuts."

Engineer - "Fine, you're the boss.  But this will probably be ugly."

*train wreck occurs*

Manager - "You idiots!  Can't you do anything?!  I'm sorry mr. senior manager, I have no idea what these dang engineers were thinking not validating those changes...."

• Like 6