Bow Season 2014

Each year on July 4th, I pull out the bow and shoot the dust off of it.  Its a good time for us all to start to building back our bow muscles and check our equipment to make sure they are in good order.  Since last season I have found a few spots I'd like to place a bow stand, keeping in consideration ingress/egress and wind direction.  If you are a seasoned Gun Hunter, getting a bow will put the fun back in tagging a doe! Who else is getting fired up?  

IMG_2898_zps68c5aa02.jpg

photo1_zpse53b16b7.jpg

Edited by Slappy
  • Like 1

I have been excited since the end of last season! But I've been seeing a ton of deer activity around here lately and my wife is getting tired of the 5 minute trip to Sonic taking 35 minutes because I'm going down the roads I know there will be deer in a field  :rock:

• Like 1

I have been excited since the end of last season! But I've been seeing a ton of deer activity around here lately and my wife is getting tired of the 5 minute trip to Sonic taking 35 minutes because I'm going down the roads I know there will be deer in a field  :rock:

I know exactly what thats like!  I get all excited pointing out deer to my wife, she wont even look up half the time.  She's like, why do you get all excited EVERY time....they all look the same!  I'm like, why do you get excited about jewelry...it all looks the same!  

I also know that come Bow Season, those deer will be a heck of a lot harder to find! 

• Like 1

[URL=http://s4.photobucket.com/user/robtattoo/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140508_070914_zps33rctfql.jpg.html]IMG_20140508_070914_zps33rctfql.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s4.photobucket.com/user/robtattoo/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140512_161111_667_zpstzejpg5n.jpg.html]IMG_20140512_161111_667_zpstzejpg5n.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s4.photobucket.com/user/robtattoo/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140512_161141_524_zps4xgdxncd.jpg.html]IMG_20140512_161141_524_zps4xgdxncd.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s4.photobucket.com/user/robtattoo/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140512_162349_zpslczc0kqn.jpg.html]IMG_20140512_162349_zpslczc0kqn.jpg[/URL]

Yep, all set! Built myself a new bow for this year, plus some matching arrows. Can't wait for it to cool off a little :D

• Like 9
  • 2 weeks later...
I'll be hanging up the bow fishing rig this coming weekend (or maybe the following if I get a wild hare) and knocking the dust off mine shortly after. Going to set the trail cams one evening this week. May even sit in a stand and blow a few coyote calls just to get the blood going! I'm afraid with all the coyotes I have, they will/have put a dent in the deer pop. Haven't seen as many deer behind the house as usual. Up to 27 coyotes down this year tho!

I'll be hanging up the bow fishing rig this coming weekend (or maybe the following if I get a wild hare) and knocking the dust off mine shortly after. Going to set the trail cams one evening this week. May even sit in a stand and blow a few coyote calls just to get the blood going! I'm afraid with all the coyotes I have, they will/have put a dent in the deer pop. Haven't seen as many deer behind the house as usual. Up to 27 coyotes down this year tho!

Well I sure hope they haven't taken too many and messed up your deer population. Glad you got 27 of them suckers though! I've got some mineral blocks to drop off tomorrow or Tuesday and scope out my stand. Also going to turn my stand around more towards the field the filter in and out of to reduce my needed head movement.

Y'all got your licenses yet?  I buy a Sportsman's License every year.  Sure wish Daddy would have got me a lifetime license when I was a little tot!  haha

I don't have my big game yet, but will this weekend. I lived in Missouri when I started hunting, but I'm just thankful my Dad got me in the hunter safety course and into deer hunting period. I also wish I'd spent more time in the woods in my 20's instead of chasing the other white tail in the bars :)

Guess I better shoot some this weekend. Still not feeling amped about season. I do have a couple "possibles" spotted on velvet.

I need to as well. I've been staying up all night watching deer hunting and I'm so excited I can't stand it. Too bad opening weekend is this Saturday LOL (except it would be hotter than heck sittin in the stand right now!)

• Like 1

I sure hope so! The cool weather last week got me hopeful of that even though I knew we had more hot days coming. A feller can dream right? I'll be happy if we can at least have cooler mornings than last year for beginning of bow season. 

I found this video this evening. Thought y'all might find it interesting, basically studied the differences in how high you hang your game camera and the deer response. It's about 15 minutes or so but worth the watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVQUSR5BdIk&list=UUz-wWQIM_q2tII_kGHBYaGg

• Like 1
I'm super excited about it this year. I still have a lot of work to do though... mow the trails, plant a couple small plots, stand maintenance, etc. I always look forward to it, but somehow it always sneaks up on me. Need to get to work. I just hope I can avoid the ticks/chiggers this year!