Anyone hear about repeal?

I have over heard someone state that the entire vehicle carry law was going to be repealed next year.  Has anyone else heard of this rumor?  I searched the TFA site and found no mention of it.

Some crap claim about a worry of drive by increase.  I'm sure it's nothing but a rumor but have to ask.

Edited by 101

I have over heard someone state that the entire vehicle carry law was going to be repealed next year.  Has anyone else heard of this rumor?  I searched the TFA site and found no mention of it.

Some crap claim about a worry of drive by increase.  I'm sure it's nothing but a rumor but have to ask.

Those people you overheard may have issues with processing information......

by *design*, at both the state and national level, its is FAR more difficult to repeal or modify a law than to pass it in the first place.  This prevents administrations from changing the laws every time a new person is voted into a leadership position (governer, etc).

I am not sure what it takes to do so in TN, but its going to require a supermajority of some sort (?), probably 2/3?  It does happen now and then.  Someone may make the attempt, but would it have the votes?  It passed with FLYING colors... almost no opposition.

Edited by Jonnin

Vehicle carry law, what is that?

Bill

It just passed: anyone can carry in their car --- its almost an extension of what you can do inside your home/property ---  without a permit.

The first random link I found on it :   http://www.wbir.com/story/news/politics/2014/04/08/senate-votes-for-open-gun-carry-without-permit/7470327/

clarification: it is law now -- this old link says it is only passed senate. 

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/25977251/new-tennessee-law-allows-gun-owners-without-permits-to-keep-loaded-firearms-in-vehicle

is more up to date.

Edited by Jonnin

As of 1 July, loaded firearms can be carried in vehicles in Tennessee by anyone; A. Not legally prohibited from owning firearms. and B. Legally operating a privately owned vehicle, or a vehicle whose owner has not prohibited firearms in it. 

This huge law change flew almost completely under the radar... I have no idea how, but it's good. 

Edited by dcloudy777
  • Like 1

this is the stupidest thing I have heard today.

Hmmm,  if we ban the carry of guns in cars then criminals will not carry guns in their cars.   Next thing you know gun buster signs will stop criminals.

by *design*, at both the state and national level, its is FAR more difficult to repeal or modify a law than to pass it in the first place.  ...I am not sure what it takes to do so in TN, but its going to require a supermajority of some sort (?), probably 2/3?  It does happen now and then.  Someone may make the attempt, but would it have the votes?

???

Modifying or repealing a statute simply takes the same procedure as making a new one, both on federal and state level. The majority of legislation passed each session in TN are modifications of existing laws.

The car carry change was simply a modification of 39-17-1307. Legislature could change it back to how it read before with just same procedure, or change it any other way they like. Could repeal it altogether. If you look through TCA, there are many repealed statutes-- sometimes it's simpler to just repeal a statute and start over, sometimes simpler to just add a section, or zap a section and replace it, as the car carry did.

You seem to be thinking about changes to the federal  and state Constitutions or something.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Slept through those civics classes in high school huh? :)  It takes a simple majority in both chambers and the governors signature the change an existing law....  nothing special about 'repealing' a law.

But you're right it's unlikely any republican would vote to repeal that law next year.

by *design*, at both the state and national level, its is FAR more difficult to repeal or modify a law than to pass it in the first place.  This prevents administrations from changing the laws every time a new person is voted into a leadership position (governer, etc).

I am not sure what it takes to do so in TN, but its going to require a supermajority of some sort (?), probably 2/3?  It does happen now and then.  Someone may make the attempt, but would it have the votes?  It passed with FLYING colors... almost no opposition.

He said, she said.  What's a JBT?

Jack booted thug. Slang for those in law enforcement who "shoot dogs for fun", "beat helpless victims", and don't want common folk having those scary guns.
  • Like 3

Slept through those civics classes in high school huh? :)  It takes a simple majority in both chambers and the governors signature the change an existing law....  nothing special about 'repealing' a law.

But you're right it's unlikely any republican would vote to repeal that law next year.

hah one of the perks of a pricy school... didn't have a civics class...  the one under that name was current events more than anything.

yea I was thinking constitutions.   Duh moment. 

I though this got beat down,

Can this be confirmed?

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/25977251/new-tennessee-law-allows-gun-owners-without-permits-to-keep-loaded-firearms-in-vehicle

New TN law allows gun owners without permits to keep loaded firearms in vehicle

Posted: Jul 09, 2014 12:48 PM EST Updated: Jul 09, 2014 1:31 PM EST

By Andy Sher, Chattanooga Times Free Press - bio

I though this got beat down,

Can this be confirmed?

You thought wrong.  ;)

The article itself confirms it along with threads on this forum, the TN Legislature's website and LexisNexis (TN Code online) if it's been updated.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1

This is what I was going by..  http://www.wsmv.com/story/25276616/winners-and-losers-in-tennessees-legislative-session

The following bills failed this year:    - ATTORNEY GENERAL-CORRUPTION: Giving attorney general power to investigate public corruption. SB2038.    - ATTORNEY GENERAL-ELECTION: Constitutional amendment calling for popular election of attorney general. SJR0123.    - DAYLIGHT SAVING: Ending daylight saving time in Tennessee. HB1909.    - FOR-PROFIT CHARTERS: Allowing for-profit entities to run charters schools in Tennessee. HB1693.    - GUNS IN PARKS: Doing away with local control over banning guns in parks.  SB1496.    - HALL INCOME TAX: Phasing out Hall tax on income from dividends and investments. SB1427.    - HEALTH FREEDOM ACT: Declaring Tennessee won't comply with federal health care law. SB1888.    - MOTORCYCLE HELMETS: Allowing adults not to wear helmets on motorcycles. SB0548.    - OPEN CARRY: Allowing open carry of handguns without state-issued permit. SB2424.

You thought wrong.  ;)

The article itself confirms it along with threads on this forum, the TN Legislature's website and LexisNexis (TN Code online) if it's been updated.

Lexis doesn't update till Oct/Nov every year in the past.

- OS

• They are in lawful possession of the motor vehicle.

I know this has probably been covered in another thread, but in short, this should cover a passenger right as long as they are allowed in the vehicle by the owner right?  Say a husband and wife where the vehicle in his one's name and the other is the passenger.

Trying to get all the facts straight for my parents.

OS, I had allot of things going on Last month including over time at work and wasn't haunting TGO as much as normal, that must be why I am so far behind on this one.

Edited by vontar