Muzzleloader recommendations

I'm always looking for the best value for the buck, but I don't really have a set budget for this one. I'd like to stay under $500 for a complete package, but that's not a hard stop.

I'm always looking for the best value for the buck, but I don't really have a set budget for this one. I'd like to stay under $500 for a complete package, but that's not a hard stop.

CVA Wolf is an awesome ML for under $150.00. I own one and it's deadly out to 100 yards (that's what I have the scope sighted in for). My Kentucky Flintlock rifle is "dead deer" on at 200 yards, and is not for sale. Find a decent gun, and work with powder/ball loads for best accuracy. It's all a combination of Gun, Powder, Bullet and shooter. Get the right combo and it's deadly! Oh, remember, there is NO REASON in the world to shoot Pyrocrap Pellets in your gun. Start with about 80 grains of 2F and "git er done"!

Dave

• Like 1

Savage 10 ML II smokeless muzzloader. It's great to be able to shoot all day without cleaning.

x2 ,also having a smokeless mz made out of any 45/70 single shot rifle is the cats meow if you already have 1 in that caliber. for probly less than $150 to have it converted   luv my savage

I have a CVA Optima inline that is accurate enough to 200. It's easy to clean with the hand-removable breach plug and stainless barrel. I got mine at Academy with a KonusPro scope.

It looks like they have a new model out this year: http://www.cabelas.com/product/CVA-Optima-V-Muzzleloader-Stainless-Steel-Realtree-XTRA-reg-Green-with-Thumbhole-Stock/1606206.uts .

I'm going into year three with no problems.

I enjoy using my old-school side percussion rifle with irons if the weather's good. With nasty weather, I'll grab the inline with 209 primer. Edited by Batman
I'm really mostly looking at inlines with 209 systems. I want a rifle that goes bang when I pull the trigger, not 3-10 seconds later. The long range accuracy is important to me. I know most people say that they take 95% of their deer within ~75 yards.... In the last three years I haven't taken one inside 150 and have had shots available out to 450+. I know a ML isn't going to do 450, but my favorite spot is pretty reliable for deer at 150-200. Seriously considering a Knight. I know they used to be top-notch but I don't know if the quality has been the same since they reopened.
Guest tangojuliet

well if your after long range well your talking inline i know a cap lock in .58 cal will reach and hit a 500 yards with no issue but i have no knowledge on the range of a inline

I'm really mostly looking at inlines with 209 systems. I want a rifle that goes bang when I pull the trigger, not 3-10 seconds later.

I'm not aware of any muzzleloader that fires like this. A fine tuned flintlock goes bang at the pull of the trigger. I understand what you're saying though...alot of people think that. It's actually quite the opposite!

Dave

I had it happen multiple times to me when I was a teenager in the late 80s (the last time I hunted with black powder.) I don't know if it was the weather/moisture affecting the cap or powder, or some other issue. It didn't do it all of the time, but it happened more than once.

I had it happen multiple times to me when I was a teenager in the late 80s (the last time I hunted with black powder.) I don't know if it was the weather/moisture affecting the cap or powder, or some other issue. It didn't do it all of the time, but it happened more than once.

I had that happen to me once with my side lock percussion rifle. It was my fault though. I didn't dry the excess oil out of it before I put the powder in, so it got damp. I learned my lesson at the range and not hunting though. Now I always make sure it is toughly dry before I load it up for hunting. An inline can hang-fire too if the powder gets damp from oil.
  • Like 1