Any Idea Why This Happened?

mhl6493

Ok, I had my first "What just happened?" moment today since getting into firearms a few months ago.  A buddy and I went to the range to do some shooting.  I shot 6 rounds through my LCP, and my buddy was in the process of shooting his 6 rounds, when it happened.  After the 4th round, the takedown pin evidently backed out, and the slide "shot" forward, leaving nothing but the frame in my buddy's hand.  The spring fell out on the ground, and the slide and barrel landed about 6 feet in front of us.  I put it all back together and shot 6 more rounds through it (different ammo this time -- Hornady Critical Defense 90 gr.), and it seemed to be fine.  

So, what do you think might have caused that?  Could I have failed to get the spring firmly seated the last time I cleaned the gun?  I had previously shot 56 rounds through the gun about a month ago (Blazer and Hornady Critical Defense) with no problems, then cleaned the gun before taking it out today.  But if I hadn't gotten the spring seated well, how would that explain the takedown pin backing out?  It really seemed like everything was back together just fine.

Could it have been the ammo we were shooting at first today?  It was Magtech 380 Auto 95 gr. FMC.  I've never shot that before, and it was the only thing I could find beside the expense self-defense stuff.

Or, could it be some defect in the gun?  

I'm doubting it's the latter, and figure it's one of the first two things.  But I'm just not sure.

Any advice on this one?  It's got me a little concerned, and whether it should or not, it has lessened my confidence in my LCP - and to be honest, in my ability to deal with a semi-automatic correctly.  Thanks in advance!

I have a buddy that had this happen on a brand new LCP on the second magazine. He sent it back to Ruger and they "repaired it" and sent it back to him. The same gun blew apart after less than 100 rounds of speer lawman fmj ammo. They sent him a brand new one that he promptly sold.

I had a LCP for over 3 years and shot well over 1500 rounds of the exact same ammo. I never had a single malfunction.
  • Like 1

I have a buddy that had this happen on a brand new LCP on the second magazine. He sent it back to Ruger and they "repaired it" and sent it back to him. The same gun blew apart after less than 100 rounds of speer lawman fmj ammo. They sent him a brand new one that he promptly sold.

I had a LCP for over 3 years and shot well over 1500 rounds of the exact same ammo. I never had a single malfunction.

Yep. I loaned mine to a friend and he shot the bejeesus out of it with no malfunctions. Been awhile since I have taken mine down. Doesn't that pin snap into place?

Wow, I had no idea the takedown pin backing out on the LCP was a common problem.  So what do you think causes that on certain models, but not all of them?  And evidently once it happens, sending it back to Ruger isn't going to do much good as far as repair is concerned.  Not sure I can ever feel confident in this gun again, especially since it's primary purpose is as a carry gun for self defense.

Any lack of confidence should be in the gun, not your abilities to break-down and re-assemble.

With the new pin, you will be good to go, but I understand your concern...

Years ago I had an LCR, which had a mfg'er defect - the area on the strap directly above the forcing cone began to crater.

With all the research I did, I only found one other report where an owner had a similar problem.

Sent it back to Ruger, they promptly replaced it.

Loved that little gun, look, weight, trigger and shootability;  I was 99.9% confident my new LCR would be fine and would never have the same problem again.

It was the .1% lack of confidence that prompted me to sell it.

• Like 1

Wow, I had no idea the takedown pin backing out on the LCP was a common problem.  So what do you think causes that on certain models, but not all of them?  And evidently once it happens, sending it back to Ruger isn't going to do much good as far as repair is concerned.  Not sure I can ever feel confident in this gun again, especially since it's primary purpose is as a carry gun for self defense.

The only way to gain confidence in ANY handgun is to shoot it a lot. The LCP is a great pistol, from a great manufacturer. Defects happen from any manufacturer. Once you think it's fixed, run a few hundred rounds through it.

• Like 1

not super up on the lcp but its not just a LCP problem.  Various guns I own have had a part come loose.  You fire an explosion inside it, which knocks the snot out of some of the moving parts and induces a vibration thru the entire system.  Over time parts that are held in place by nothing but friction or sometimes friction + a small notch that may or may not have "caught" when it was last assembled can work loose.  Sometimes that is a defect, sometimes it was not in there good, and sometimes it just happens after a lot of rounds.  

If possible, I would look really closely at it to see if you think it actually is in need of repair and not just a case of "wasn't quite seated".   Might save you shipping costs and the aggravation of getting it sent back etc.

it pays to be paranoid about it if its your carry gun.  When I shot the sight off my target pistol, I just left it off (it has a red dot, the iron fell off).  When your life might depend on it, you can't shrug it off so easily... 

Edited by Jonnin
  • Like 1

Yep. I loaned mine to a friend and he shot the bejeesus out of it with no malfunctions. Been awhile since I have taken mine down. Doesn't that pin snap into place?

It does snap in but apparently not so well in some of them.

I have also seen a beretta px4 subcompact 9mm do this at the gun range. I picked up the slide assembly off the ground for the guy and it still had a live round in the chamber. It scared the hell out of me when I saw a live round looking back down the barrel at me.

From what y'all have said, and from the additional reading I've done since I realized this was a common occurrence, there is enough doubt in my mind about whether I actually had the takedown pin snapped in all the way that I'm not going to get too excited about this yet.  I think I'm going to shoot the snot out of it over the next few weeks (if I can find enough .380 ammo to do it) and just keep my eye on it and see what happens.  If it does it again, then I'll contact Ruger, get it fixed, and probably sell it...  :D Thanks again for the help!

Well, I got up this morning and decided to perform an experiment.  When I cleaned the LCP last night, I made *sure* that the takedown pin was snapped in, as it should be.  So this morning I just started dry-firing.  And with nothing but a very little bit of that, the pin had already started backing out a little.  Not good at all.

I don't think I could ever have confidence in this thing, even if I sent it back to Ruger for repair.  I'm tempted to just cut my losses, take it back to the lgs where I bought it, and see if I can trade it in on something else.  Very disappointing, but I guess it happens.

I'd send it to Ruger for repair and then keep a close watch on it.  Mine has not had a problem, but every time I carry it now I'll be checking it.

Yeah, I may do that.  If I still felt like trading it in afterwards, I'd still have that option.

did u get this on tape... lol would of been a funny Barney Fife moment lol  :hat: 

No, unfortunately not.  Probably would have looked a lot like the old bank security guard on the Andy Griffith Show whose gun fell apart when he tried to fire it...  :D

Sorry to hear you're having this trouble. My wife's LCP has never had this problem so I'd give Ruger a chance to make it right.

Yeah, I contacted Customer Service via e-mail yesterday, and I expect I'll be hearing from them early this week.  I'm sure they'll want me to send it in.  From there, who knows.  I'm still not sure I can ever have confidence in the gun again, no matter what happens.  That's not a knock in any way against Ruger or the LCP.  It's a fine gun form a great company; just hard to get the image of what happened out of my mind.  A lack of 100% confidence in your carry gun, well, that's not good.  Maybe they'll let me trade it for an SP101 3" barrel...  :D

Edited by mhl6493

Just a quick update.  Heard back from a Customer Service Rep at Ruger today.  She emailed me a shipping label, and the LCP should be going back to Ruger sometime tomorrow.  I'll update via this thread as any new developments take place.  Whatever happens, it sure looks like Ruger's customer service is top-shelf!  Whether I can ever trust the gun again, that remains to be seen.

Good to hear.  You should at least get a free clip or hat out of the deal.  Any idea on how long it will take them to change the takedown pin?

Rep said the turnaround time is typically 5-7 business days, depending on what all they have to do to repair it.  A free mag would be great, since it only came with one...  :D

I've got about 350 or so flawless rounds through my LCP, the majority of them were Remington FMJ bulk stuff but I made sure at least 100 were Remington's Golden Sabers (my carry rounds) to check reliability.

Thankfully I've never had a problem with my LCP because I'd really be pissy if my LCP started giving me cause to question it, I love the little freaking thing ... it goes everywhere with me.
  • Like 1

I got an e-mail today letting me know that my LCP is being shipped back to me.  They replaced the takedown pin and the takedown pin detent -- whatever that is.  They fired 24 test rounds through it after repair with no problems.  So, I guess that's that.  I'll give it a try, but I'm thinking since this is the same gun that I'll never completely get what happened out of my mind.  Honestly don't see myself keeping it at this point...  Anyway, just wanted to give an update.  The gun should arrive Monday or Tuesday, I'd guess.

Edited by mhl6493