Tennessee Open-Carry Law Torpedoed by Underhanded Tactics?

An article on WGNS' website this morning, released from Tennessee Firearms Association:

WGNS Releases press information submitted by the TN Firearms Association - Murfreesboro News and Radio

"The Tennessee Firearms Association claims that recent documents show the Haslam administration manipulated the "Fiscal Note Process" in order to kill "Pro-Gun Legislation." WGNS has decided to release the exact information the organization sent to local media outlets on Monday afternoon.

The information they sent can be read below in its entirety. "

Check it out!

The details are good investigative work, but the intent of the Haslam administartion and the end result were known well before this.  Control over the process, money for the state coffers so they don't have to cut elsewhere or raise revenue another way...take your pick for the reaseon.  The bottom line is that bill was killed in a backroom meeting before any vote took place.

• Like 1

I'm in Sargent's district and trying as hard as I can to help get him removed this go around, does anyone have any examples of other specific legislation that this group have killed the same way? While firearms are a key issue for me, they aren't for everyone and I'd love to be able to hand them a list showing a pattern of this behavior from the finance committee.

• Like 2

I've come to understand it's apparently a standard practice, I just haven't found a good way to track bills through the process and confirm which bills were killed off from possibly legitimate concerns and which were either fabricated or baseless BS such as the open carry legislation.

Haslam is beginning to remind me more and more like that guy in the White House with his politics. He says one thing but means something entirely different. Haslam has been caught dirty in several scandals and yet he still hold his office without any discussions at all about removing him just like in DC....................jmho

More detail, but nothing much new about the process overall. The House budget subcommittee is the Bermuda Triangle when the fix is in -- the carry law wasn't unique at all. If there's a single legislator that didn't really know the score on that, they ought to be run off the hill for pure naivete. Nobody on that committee was "conned", it was subtle nods and winks all around.

Y'all must not read WorriedMan's posts much, but ya should.

Also, our Stacey spelled out the dirt nice and publicly back in April, here's from his blog, a short concise one I had saved a link to:

"The gun fight was over on the first day of session"

http://lastcar.blogspot.com/2014/04/the-gun-fight-was-over-on-first-day-of.html

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 2

Haslam is beginning to remind me more and more like that guy in the White House with his politics. He says one thing but means something entirely different. Haslam has been caught dirty in several scandals and yet he still hold his office without any discussions at all about removing him just like in DC....................jmho

So you're saying he's a politician....

• Like 1

There is a very good reason for it, too. Politicians don't want to set a precedent about removing politicians from office for being a crook. After all, they might hold that office someday, and they don't want it to be too easy for them to be removed for being a crook. All they can do is pay it lip service when election time comes. But when it's time for the rubber to meet the road, all their empty platitudes means diddly squat. 

The thing that irritates me the most about this particular "fiscal" chicanery was the excuse given.  It's so patently absurd and overtly ridiculous a half-wit should be able to call BS on it, just like about every other government action these days.

The reason given being an increase in cost due to Dept. of Safety policy.  Is that some kind of law?  No.

The thing that irritates me the most about this particular "fiscal" chicanery was the excuse given.  It's so patently absurd and overtly ridiculous a half-wit should be able to call BS on it, just like about every other government action these days.

The reason given being an increase in cost due to Dept. of Safety policy.  Is that some kind of law?  No.

And upon investigation, the policy didn't even exist either!

Someone is going to get thrown under the bus, .

Have doubts it will garner the critical mass necessary for that, unless TFA has standing for lawsuit or something and keeps at it that way?

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 3

I knew when Haslam was running for governor that he wasn't nearly as pro-gun as he tried to paint himself. This really is not much of a surprise. The only real surprise is that he got caught. 

I said it over and over when he was running for Governor the 1st. time, Haslam was a card carrying member of Bloombergs MAIGs while mayor of Knoxville. When he decided to run state wide he quit MAIGs, making up some lame BS excuse that he didn't know they were anti-gun. I again will not vote for that man.

• Like 1

I said it over and over when he was running for Governor the 1st. time, Haslam was a card carrying member of Bloombergs MAIGs while mayor of Knoxville. When he decided to run state wide he quit MAIGs, making up some lame BS excuse that he didn't know they were anti-gun. I again will not vote for that man.

Heck, yeah, let's put a Dem in there instead who would veto any of the gun bills like Haslam signed.

- OS

• Like 3

This battle will be won the same way it was lost.  By attrition.  We lost a little bit at a time and we will gain it back the same way.

I'll vote for a squishy repub who will sign (or not veto) a good law - over a hard-core leftist who will keep us from gaining any ground.

• Like 1

Have doubts it will garner the critical mass necessary for that, unless TFA has standing for lawsuit or something and keeps at it that way?

- OS

I'd like to know if the TFA plans to do anything if there is a legal recourse.

Heck, yeah, let's put a Dem in there instead who would veto any of the gun bills like Haslam signed.

- OS

Well don't worry, Tennessee governors are guarnteed 2 terms since Ray Blanton but with that voting stratagy you are going to have to vote for Lamar Alexander I guess, can't have some democrat taking his seat. Also, a vote to retain Judges Clark, Lee, and Wade is the same as voting FOR a liberal, a democrat, so with that same voting stratagy you have to vote to replace them. If Bloombergs buddy Haslam wins the primary which he will, then i'll hold my nose and vote but I will vote for his GOP challenger in the primary just like i'll vote for Carr over Lamar and if Lamar wins the primary which is not guarnteed this time, I guess you and I will vote for him in the general over the democrat. And I will vote to replace Clark, Lee and Wade so Haslam can choose the 3 to replace them.

Edited by K191145
  • Like 2

Well don't worry, Tennessee governors are guarnteed 2 terms since Ray Blanton but with that voting stratagy you are going to have to vote for Lamar Alexander I guess, can't have some democrat taking his seat. ...

You know what, in the general election,  you're right. I ain't having no part of sending no Dem to D.C.

They're not all of a feather contained in TN, but almost guaranteed to become one with the Progressive Horde soon as they catch sight of the Capitol Dome.

- OS

• Like 3

You know what, in the general election,  you're right. I ain't having no part of sending no Dem to D.C.

They're not all of a feather contained in TN, but almost guaranteed to become one with the Progressive Horde soon as they catch sight of the Capitol Dome.

- OS

Exactly right, no matter how conservative some state democrat rep or senator may seem to be, as soon as they get to DC they are almost guarnteed to vote straight down the party line no matter what. As much as i'm fed up with Lamar I still don't want a democratic majority in the senate with 2 more years of Obama. Voting for Lamar is just a vote for a GOP seat but in the primary i'll vote for his hopefull retirment.

One thing I can say about Haslam is that he's a good typical politician, always know what direction the political wind blows so he knows what to support and what not to support. That's also called kissing the publics butt for popularity.

Edited by K191145
  • Like 1
Also with judges Clark, Wade, and Lee, with todays political climate I will not support anyone who is considered democrat or liberal no matter what they are running for or office they are trying to stay in. They are politicians with personal ambitions no matter what anyone says. They may rule a certain way in Tennessee, trying to follow the direction of the political wind just like any politician in the legislator, but put them on the national scene and they will rule just like the liberal activist justices on the US supreme court. They will protect the little guy by ruling that some corperation or business can influence a city government to STEAL your land to sell back to that corperation so the city can collect extra taxes from whatever the corperation wants to put on your stolen land. They will rule to protect the little guy by allowing union thugs to force, bully, intimidate with mafia style tactics the little guy into paying union dues weather he/she wants to or not, they rule that the little guy isn't responsible enough to choose for themselves and they don't allow that outdated pesky obsolete constitution to get in their way.
  • Like 1

Also with judges Clark, Wade, and Lee, with todays political climate I will not support anyone who is considered democrat or liberal no matter what they are running for or office they are trying to stay in. They are politicians with personal ambitions no matter what anyone says. They may rule a certain way in Tennessee, trying to follow the direction of the political wind just like any politician in the legislator, but put them on the national scene and they will rule just like the liberal activist justices on the US supreme court. They will protect the little guy by ruling that some corperation or business can influence a city government to STEAL your land to sell back to that corperation so the city can collect extra taxes from whatever the corperation wants to put on your stolen land. They will rule to protect the little guy by allowing union thugs to force, bully, intimidate with mafia style tactics the little guy into paying union dues weather he/she wants to or not, they rule that the little guy isn't responsible enough to choose for themselves and they don't allow that outdated pesky obsolete constitution to get in their way.

The Justices WON'T be "on the national scene." The cases you are talking about were federal cases that have NOTHING to do with the Tennessee court system. I agree with you on those cases. The Kelo case was terrible, but has no bearing on this race. What is going on is the attempt to judicially push tort reform and, more importantly, appoint a Republican AG. Tort reform is directly pointed at eliminating the public from the tort process. If you can point to one case these Justices screwed up, please point it out (maybe in a separate thread). Edited by midtennchip

The Justices WON'T be "on the national scene." The cases you are talking about were federal cases that have NOTHING to do with the Tennessee court system. I agree with you on those cases. The Kelo case was terrible, but has no bearing on this race. What is going on is the attempt to judicially push tort reform and, more importantly, appoint a Republican AG. Tort reform is directly pointed at eliminating the public from the tort process. If you can point to one case these Justices screwed up, please point it out (maybe in a separate thread).

I know it's highly unlikely any of them will ever be appointed to a federal level, that's not the point. The point is their liberal mentality, if they could get away with it in Tennessee they would rule in the favor of government over individuals. Also some tort reform is needed, we have to pass good samaritan laws to discourage a home invader from suing a home owner for injuries or death for their criminal act, we need sensable tort reform to discourage some idiot from suing S&W because some car jacker shot him with a S&W .38 special. So, if tort reform is one of the issues behind this push to replace these judges then i'm even more motivated now.