Marlin 336 safe queen or user?

This is more of a poll but I won't add one. Just curious how many of you guys have safe queen Marlin 336's and how many have "users/beaters".

I picked up a 1993 made 336W last night with some normal wear on it and upon getting home found that the rear barrel band screw was broken and half of the head was broken off so a screwdriver wasn't getting it out. Being the impatient man that I am I took to it with a Dewalt and broke a bit leaving a nice little gouge in the forearm instead of waiting for a drill press at work. This gun will be used in the woods and ride in the car/truck and will get future dings I'm sure. Just sucks that I did that right off the bat. I of course marred the rear band a little bit but nothing a sharpie won't hide.

The nice surprise is that this is a "JM" or pre "Remlin" which are supposed to be better quality. Not sure if there is anything to that.

[quote name="maroonandwhite" post="1169021" timestamp="1405520388"]This is more of a poll but I won't add one. Just curious how many of you guys have safe queen Marlin 336's and how many have "users/beaters". I picked up a 1993 made 336W last night with some normal wear on it and upon getting home found that the rear barrel band screw was broken and half of the head was broken off so a screwdriver wasn't getting it out. Being the impatient man that I am I took to it with a Dewalt and broke a bit leaving a nice little gouge in the forearm instead of waiting for a drill press at work. This gun will be used in the woods and ride in the car/truck and will get future dings I'm sure. Just sucks that I did that right off the bat. I of course marred the rear band a little bit but nothing a sharpie won't hide. The nice surprise is that this is a "JM" or pre "Remlin" which are supposed to be better quality. Not sure if there is anything to that.[/quote] Mine is older than I am ( dad use it when he was young) and it gets to the woods every year. But it is well taken care of. That gun has killed many a deer. Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2 Edited by babelt

Mine is older than I am ( dad use it when he was young) and it gets to the woods every year. But it is well taken care of. That gun has killed many a deer. Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Yeah I guess I should clarify. I am mainly talking about the wood and cosmetics. I am not the type to neglect the care and cleaning of the gun. Truth be told I want this to be my hand me down rifle. Got a nice custom leather sling for it and all.  :pleased:

Never could understand the concept of having a safe queen. TnShooter is correct IMO. Marlins are work horses indeed. I think a used rifle that shows a little wear but has obviously been taken care of is a better hand me down than one that has been locked away and never been used just to keep it pretty.

And just for the sharp eyes out there mine is missing the rear band screw. Waiting on a new one to come in. I was hoping to get it out to the range this weekend and see how she does. The scope is a Leupold FX-II 6x36. Probably my favorite scope I have ever owned and just the right power for me on this round.

I have the Marlin/Glenfield version.  Mine isn't entirely a 'safe queen' but it isn't so much a user/beater, either.  The reason is that I inherited it from my dad so it has sentimental value as not only was it his rifle but it was also the gun that I learned to shoot rifles with (yeah, I learned to shoot rifles on a lever action 30-30, not a .22.)  I remember when dad got it, back in the early '70s when I was just a kid (so it is both pre-Bremlin and pre-safety)  When we would go deer hunting, he'd often carry that 30-30 and I'd carry his pump shotgun so both of those guns (which I now own) have a lot of memories tied up in them.  I even still have the scope that came with it, somewhere (has 'Marlin' written in white script on the side.)  I'll get it out every, rare once in a while but I honestly don't shoot centerfire rifles all that often, in general and have other rifles that don't have sentimental value for 'users' when I do.

I have actually been tempted to pick up another one - preferably one that already had scratches and the like but was mechanically solid - to have as a beater/user (and because lever action is my favorite action for a rifle) but I'm really not sure I would use it all that much.  I already have a pre-safety, micro-grooved Marlin lever in .44 Magnum that I bought used that has no sentimental value and with which I have a .44 Super Blackhawk to pair.  I think the .44 can serve just as well for deer hunting in my area - especially as I never seem to even see a ^&*$#@ deer when I am hunting, anyhow.

Edited by JAB

I picked up my 336 10 years ago for $125.  I was told it had only had 20 rounds through it, it was like new and still had the inspection sticker on the underside of the forearm.  Still I've used it.  It's my back up deer rifle to my .270 which see's at least 75% of my deer hunting action.  But it's there, it's not going anywhere, and if I need to use it I will without hesitation, I didn't buy it to sit in a safe.

Mine was the first gun I ever had.  My mom was rather against me owning guns, so I had to save my money and buy it myself.  It does have a special place in my heart, so it probably sees less time in the field than my other options.  However, I do still hunt with it, but it is most certainly not one that I consider a truck gun.  I keep my eye out from time to time for one that would serve more as a beater. 

• Like 1

Mine was the first hunting rifle i've ever owned. I bought it back in 83, I sold it to my brother who later sold it back to me which i'm glad I have it back now. I would consider the 30-30 a medium game cartridge, good for white tail in Tennessee but I would choose something a little more powerful if I ever went on an elk hunt out west. I couldn't get MOA groups at 100yds with iron sights but I can place them in a 6" kill zone all day long. The most fun I have with it is target and plinking, it's just a fun enjoyable gun to shoot.

I acquired 30AW several years ago, maybe one of those to good to pass up deals.  Its not a safe queen, but it sure does hang out there like one.  I am not 100% certain I know the difference between a 30AW and 336.  I will have to research that!  Now my 94XTR, though definitely not a safe queen, its a carbine and it really like it!

Mine is not really a Safe Queen, it just has not been shot much. My father decided for some reason in '84 that he had to have a 336 in 30-30. He does not hunt, I think he just wanted a lever gun. It has only had about 10 rounds put through it for the first time a couple of years ago.

Here it is with my 39a before the 1984 joined the herd.

[URL=http://s213.photobucket.com/user/madavis5/media/Guns/100_0503.jpg.html]100_0503.jpg[/URL]

• Like 1

Guess I'm the odd man out. I have a stainless one that I bought new a few years back. Never have shot it. Didn't plan it that way. Just haven't got to it. Tried to shoot it one time, and grabbed the wrong ammo can on the way out the door. One of these days.

Back in 1976 a close friend asked me to find him a Marlin 336 in 35 Remington caliber for deer hunting. I found him a like new rifle for a really low price (even then). Fast forward to about 5 years ago he and I were talking about hunting. He explained all he is hunting now is turkies. I asked about the 336 and he still had it. He brought it out of hiding and it still looked new. I offered to buy it but he refused. Instead he GAVE it to me and refused to accept any payment. However, he said he was searching for a short shotgun for home protection (in addition to the various handguns he owns). A short time later I presented him with a Remington 870, 20" barrel, matt finish, black synthetic furniture. He claimed it was exactly what he had been trying to find and asked the price. I answered "You can pay me........exactly what I recently paid you for a Marlin rifle." He answered with a slow, sly grin, then turned and put the 870 in his storage room. Isn't friendship fun.

Stumpy
  • Like 2