Obama Administration Bans Import of Izhmash & Kalashnikov (Saiga) Firearms

Earlier today, the Department of Commerce announced new sanctions against Russian products and companies operating in the United States. Previous sanctions only tangentially impacted the import of cheap and reliable firearms from Russia into the United States, but now the Obama administration is specifically targeting the makers of Saiga rifles and shotguns, as well as other companies. From the Executive Order. . .

The following entities have been added to OFAC’s SDN List:

[...]

KALASHNIKOV CONCERN (a.k.a. CONCERN KALASHNIKOV; a.k.a. IZHEVSKIY MASHINOSTROITEL’NYI ZAVOD OAO; f.k.a. IZHMASH R&D CENTER; f.k.a. JSC NPO IZHMASH; f.k.a. NPO IZHMASH OAO; a.k.a. OJSC CONCERN KALASHNIKOV; f.k.a. OJSC IZHMASH; f.k.a. SCIENTIFIC PRODUCTION ASSOCIATION IZHMASH JOINT STOCK COMPANY), 3, Derjabin Pr., Izhevsk, Udmurt Republic 426006, Russia; Registration ID 1111832003018 [UKRAINE2].

So the importation of new Izmash-produced firearms is now banned indefinitely in the United States. But that executive order definitely raises some questions for those currently in possession of a firearm manufactured by the now-sanctioned firearms companies. For example, can a gun dealer sell their existing stock? From the FAQ regarding the legality of items already in the United States:

374. If I own a Kalashnikov product, is that product blocked by sanctions? Am I able to resell a Kalashnikov product at a gun show or other secondary market?

If a U.S. person is in possession of a Kalashnikov Concern product that was bought and fully paid for prior to the date of designation (i.e., no payment remains due to Kalashnikov Concern), then that product is not blocked and OFAC sanctions would not prohibit the U.S. person from keeping or selling the product in the secondary market, so long as Kalashnikov Concern has no interest in the transaction. New transactions by U.S. persons with Kalashnikov Concern are prohibited, however, and any property in which Kalashnikov Concern has an interest is blocked pursuant to OFAC’s designation of Kalashnikov Concern on July 16, 2014. If a U.S. person has an inventory of Kalashnikov Concern products in which Kalashnikov Concern has an interest (for example, the products are not fully paid for or are being sold on consignment), we advise that U.S. person to contact OFAC for further guidance on handling of the inventory. [7-16-2014]

375. If I have Kalashnikov products in my inventory, can I sell them?

If a U.S. person has an inventory of Kalashnikov Concern products in which Kalashnikov Concern has an interest (for example, the products are not fully paid for or are being sold on consignment), we advise that U.S. person to contact OFAC for further guidance on handling of the inventory. [7-16-2014]

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/07/foghorn/breaking-obama-administration-bans-import-izhmash-kalashnikov-saiga-firearms/

The ammo plants are part of the Kalash Concern too so yeah its probably coming.  Hate to say it but welcome to "Panic 2014".

This won't impact the yugo, romanian, or Bulgarian imports tho.  The russians will have to find some way around the sanction like breaking up the "Concern" company and re-incorporating.  As far as the ammo is concerned I think the steel cased stuff is 100% russian but isn't the wolf gold stuff made elsewhere?

Edited by viscero

The ammo plants are part of the Kalash Concern too so yeah its probably coming.  Hate to say it but welcome to "Panic 2014".

This won't impact the yugo, romanian, or Bulgarian imports tho.  The russians will have to find some way around the sanction like breaking up the "Concern" company and re-incorporating.  As far as the ammo is concerned I think the steel cased stuff is 100% russian but isn't the wolf gold stuff made elsewhere?

Wolf has various offerings from around the world.

Matter of fact, some of the Wolf steel 7.62x39 is made in Ukraine, who we're supposed to be helping. They might have to make that plant a lot bigger.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Wolf has various offerings from around the world.

Matter of fact, some of the Wolf steel 7.62x39 is made in Ukraine.

- OS

True but if I am reading the sanction correctly it isn't so much targeting importation but rather business dealings with the Kalashnikov Concern entirely.  So it wouldn't matter where the ammo(or firearm) is manufactured - if the money flows into the "Concern" then it is on the no-no list.

True but if I am reading the sanction correctly it isn't so much targeting importation but rather business dealings with the Kalashnikov Concern entirely.  So it wouldn't matter where the ammo(or firearm) is manufactured - if the money flows into the "Concern" then it is on the no-no list.

Well, that's true enough. I don't know the particulars of Ukraine ammo production, or even the various organizational  ties with all the different Russian plants for that matter.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Just when the "gun bubble" was deflating, the admin ensures another peak.  Best idiot gun salesman ever.  They don't understand economics or gun aficionados (duh). or...maybe they do.  Too confused & sleepy to speculate.

The 54r I paid $0.17 a round for a few years ago has already doubled. I might sell half of it and retire next week. JTM We the People of the United States, in order to form a more Perfect Union......

The 54r I paid $0.17 a round for a few years ago has already doubled. I might sell half of it and retire next week. JTM We the People of the United States, in order to form a more Perfect Union......

yeah i know just before sandy hook i was thinking of buying like 6 cases of surplus for like little over 160 or so but decided not to and now with the price where its at its hard to even get two 440's

It's about 20 cents a round currently.  Who's paying .34 for it?

I had a Saiga 223 and sold it last year, about 10 months too late to get a really good gouging price out of it.  But between the conversion and the magazines I just never had a whole lot of love for them.  I'll take a good Wazzer or an Opap instead.

Guess I should up and panic buy a few thousand of steel Russian/Ukraine/wherever ammunition tomorrow.  Do my part and all.

I don't know the current prices. I saw it was up to a 440 can was about 120 plus shipping and the most I have ever paid was $60 a can to the door. I include shipping in all of my per round calculations. All of my purchases were pre sandy hook. JTM We the People of the United States, in order to form a more Perfect Union......
[quote name="R_Bert" post="1169290" timestamp="1405564496"]Just when the "gun bubble" was deflating, the admin ensures another peak. Best idiot gun salesman ever. They don't understand economics or gun aficionados (duh). or...maybe they do. Too confused & sleepy to speculate.[/quote] He's no idiot - he likes to pauper his political enemies. And he gets to throw a bone to his anti gun constituents