ThermaCell

Been using one for the last three seasons or so. It works great. I notice a slight smell when I first fire it up, but it doesn't bother the deer apparently because they still walk right under me while bow hunting. I was impressed with it, so I bought one for my dad and son.

Been using one for the last three seasons or so. It works great. I notice a slight smell when I first fire it up, but it doesn't bother the deer apparently because they still walk right under me while bow hunting. I was impressed with it, so I bought one for my dad and son.

That was why I never bought one, I figured the smell would bother deer. But for the past couple years, I've heard people swear by them. Bass Pro had them on sale via email alert for like $13 last week. I meant to buy one and forgot in the hustle and bustle. But bow season is gonna be here before we know it! Man, I got hyped up just typing that LOL

That was why I never bought one, I figured the smell would bother deer. But for the past couple years, I've heard people swear by them. Bass Pro had them on sale via email alert for like $13 last week. I meant to buy one and forgot in the hustle and bustle. But bow season is gonna be here before we know it! Man, I got hyped up just typing that LOL

I'm getting excited about the season, too! With the way time has been flying by, it'll be here in no time. $13 was a good price for the Thermacell. I was a little skeptical about deer smelling it too, but their behavior seems the same whether I'm using it or not. Edited by Batman
  • Like 2
  • 1 month later...

I bought one but have only used it once.

Thing is....it's another thing you have to carry.

I don't think it smells much less than DEET 100.

It doesn't work if it is windy.

It DOES work well for swarming little bugs/flies, but I find the DEET to work for that.

And DEET works for chiggers and ticks.

So I don't know.

I guess I will carry it early season since I have it.

I bought one but have only used it once.

Thing is....it's another thing you have to carry.
I don't think it smells much less than DEET 100.
It doesn't work if it is windy.

It DOES work well for swarming little bugs/flies, but I find the DEET to work for that.
And DEET works for chiggers and ticks.

So I don't know.
I guess I will carry it early season since I have it.

True enough, it is something extra to carry. I got a holster for mine and attach it to my backpack. That way it's off my belt and doesn't snag on anything going up and down a tree. The weight is pretty minimal, and I don't notice it attached to my pack. DEET works great for me in the off season, but I'm too chicken to use it hunting in case the deer can smell it. Edited by Batman
  • Like 1
[quote name="Sidewinder" post="1187333" timestamp="1410124690"]Has anyone used one while on a Coyote stand? If any animal on the planet can smell it...ole Wiley will be the one![/quote] I use one religiously up until the first hard frost. Killed several coyotes with one sitting at my feet. It seems that if they (Eastern coyotes that is) are going to respond to the distress call, they have already committed to investigating. At that point they are usually within shotgun range before I can see them. I hunt primarily woods though.

I use one religiously up until the first hard frost. Killed several coyotes with one sitting at my feet. It seems that if they (Eastern coyotes that is) are going to respond to the distress call, they have already committed to investigating. At that point they are usually within shotgun range before I can see them. I hunt primarily woods though.

Thanks Wiljo05, that's good information to know. I have two of them, and have used mine inside a pop up ground blind, but was afraid the coyotes might smell it out in the open. What ammo do you use in your shotty? I can go up to 3 1/2" shells, but usually only take a rifle, as I hunt alone. Do you sell the hides...any good enough? They are pretty mangy looking here in middle and west Tennessee.

I love the Thermacell product.

I use it extensively in the early season to keep the skeeters off the stand. 

I treat my clothes with permithrin to deal with the ticks and chiggers.

Between that and the Thermacell, I don't have to use anything else.

Haven't noticed anything reacting to the smell... in fact, they make it with a cover scent:

http://www.amazon.com/ThermaCELL-E-4-Mosquito-Repellent-Appliances/dp/B003ITF3IE/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1410376790&sr=8-10&keywords=thermacell