.25-20 Win...What Guns Shoot This Round?

Found some old .25-20 ammo, and would like to know what guns it was shot in. The big ammo guys still sell it, so it must be shot in some current firearms. Anybody know if there's a Contender barrel chambered in the round? How about a bolt action? I believe the round is a necked down .32-20. Anybody currently shooting it? Looks kinda light for a deer round. Some of the ammo is cased hollow point, and some is semi cased, with a lead nose that is flat.

1892 Winchester

1894 Marlin

43 Winchester

1873 Winchester

219 Savage

Colt SAA revolver

Stevens Favorite

25 Remington

These are a few off the top of my head. I'm certain there were many more.

The 32-20, 25-20, and 218 Bee share the same parent case, only necked for different sized bullets.

• Like 2

I have a Marlin that's chambered in .25-20.

The rifle was my great aunt's.

I've been told that the rifle took many a deer to put food on the table, but I'm suspect due to the velocity and size of the round.  Not saying it didn't happen, but stories due tend to get exaggerated over the years.

My dad has an 1873 with an octagon barrel that shoots it. It's hard to find. He was told it was run in small batches once a year. How many rounds do you have?

It's loose, so it's hard to say. I'm considering trying to find an affordable gun that shoots it.

I have a Savage model 23 chambered in 25-20.

Alley cat, I'd be interested in hearing more about your Savage 23 that shoots this round. What do you use it for? Have you taken a deer with it, or is it too light for that, even at close range. Is it a hundred yard round for something like coyotes?

1892 Winchester

1894 Marlin

43 Winchester

1873 Winchester

219 Savage

Colt SAA revolver

Stevens Favorite

25 Remington

These are a few off the top of my head. I'm certain there were many more.

The 32-20, 25-20, and 218 Bee share the same parent case, only necked for different sized bullets.

Thanks for the listing Greg. Have you shot one of these? Looking at the dates, I'm thinking some of these weapons are pretty pricey. I had read that it is the .32-20 case, necked down. I just like odd guns and odd rounds...some of them at least.

I have a Marlin that's chambered in .25-20.

The rifle was my great aunt's.

I've been told that the rifle took many a deer to put food on the table, but I'm suspect due to the velocity and size of the round.  Not saying it didn't happen, but stories due tend to get exaggerated over the years.

kckndrgn, it's possible...there's a video of a guy taking a doe at short range on u tube. Does your Marlin have an octagon barrel? Have you shot it? Might be a good coyote round?

Thanks for the listing Greg. Have you shot one of these? Looking at the dates, I'm thinking some of these weapons are pretty pricey. I had read that it is the .32-20 case, necked down. I just like odd guns and odd rounds...some of them at least.

I have guns in 218 Bee and 32-20, but have never owned nor fired one in 25-20.

kckndrgn, it's possible...there's a video of a guy taking a doe at short range on u tube. Does your Marlin have an octagon barrel? Have you shot it? Might be a good coyote round?

yes, i have shot it, and I am starting to reload for it, the rounds are expensive.

I did have to get some work done to it before i could shoot it though.

The screw holding the lever in was a bent nail, the firing pins appeared to be 2 nails, missing screws and it needed a new magazine tube spring.

I also stripped and re-blued it.  Someone in the past painted it black (appeared to be spray paint).  Now that was  a fun job.

Most expensive fix, was getting the barrel re-lined.  The original lining was either worn out or old corrosive ammo was used and it wasn't cleaned properly.  The barrel was so far gone that a bullet dropped down it would travel all but the last 2-3 inches without resistance.

All in all, it's a good part of my family history that I will thankfully pass down to my son (actually, after my father passed my mom gave it to my son but he was just a few months old at the time).

I've got one of the winchester 92s in 25/20. Have shot it a few times. Killed a groundhog with it. Would probably be good for yotes. Have some vintage ammo. Seems like mine shoots high so I never did shoot it a lot.

I've got one of the winchester 92s in 25/20. Have shot it a few times. Killed a groundhog with it. Would probably be good for yotes. Have some vintage ammo. Seems like mine shoots high so I never did shoot it a lot.

Seez52, do you reload the 25/20 round? Some say it's tricky because of the thin case. Out of your Winchester 92, what range would you say the round is effective at...50 yards, 75 yards...or even 100 yards?

Alley cat, I'd be interested in hearing more about your Savage 23 that shoots this round. What do you use it for? Have you taken a deer with it, or is it too light for that, even at close range. Is it a hundred yard round for something like coyotes?

I load Speer 75 gr bullet with 12.5 gr of aa1680. I love the gun. It's not very loud and quite accurate. I've killed two coyotes with it. One at about 75 yards and one at 125 ish. You could kill deer with proper shot placement. I've killed deer with smaller case, but I've never deer hunted with the 25-20.

I load Speer 75 gr bullet with 12.5 gr of aa1680. I love the gun. It's not very loud and quite accurate. I've killed two coyotes with it. One at about 75 yards and one at 125 ish. You could kill deer with proper shot placement. I've killed deer with smaller case, but I've never deer hunted with the 25-20.

Alleycat, sounds like a fun small game setup. Do you have a scope on yours, or do you just shoot iron sights. I might start looking for one of these. What kind of price do you think I could find one for? I'm guessing this gun uses and internal box mag...if so, how many rounds. I'm also thinking the round could be reloaded with a different bullet than a flat nose...being it's not going in a tubular magazine. What else have you taken besides coyotes with it?

yes, i have shot it, and I am starting to reload for it, the rounds are expensive.

I did have to get some work done to it before i could shoot it though.

The screw holding the lever in was a bent nail, the firing pins appeared to be 2 nails, missing screws and it needed a new magazine tube spring.

I also stripped and re-blued it.  Someone in the past painted it black (appeared to be spray paint).  Now that was  a fun job.

Most expensive fix, was getting the barrel re-lined.  The original lining was either worn out or old corrosive ammo was used and it wasn't cleaned properly.  The barrel was so far gone that a bullet dropped down it would travel all but the last 2-3 inches without resistance.

All in all, it's a good part of my family history that I will thankfully pass down to my son (actually, after my father passed my mom gave it to my son but he was just a few months old at the time).

Great heirloom gun! I'm sure it's something that will be passed down through more generations. What a legacy for your dad. Would love to see a pic of it, when you're done with it, if it's convenient. I have my granddad's old J.C. Higgins Model 20 12 gauge pump gun, and cherish it as though it was an expensive gun. He used to take me hunting with him, when I was too young to own a gun, with this gun. Made me step in his foot steps, so the dry leaves wouldn't make noise. Great memories.

Seez52, do you reload the 25/20 round? Some say it's tricky because of the thin case. Out of your Winchester 92, what range would you say the round is effective at...50 yards, 75 yards...or even 100 yards?

I've not reloaded for it. I think I did buy a die set. My uncle owned the gun. He got it when he was a teenager back in the 20s. He shot it quite a bit and was his most cherished gun. I was very honored when he gave it to me. with just open sights 100 yds would probably be about max.

here is a link to when i started refinishing the rifle.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cn5fiwdtkkclrcx/2012-04-21_19.01.25.jpg

I'll have to take a current picture as I completed the restoration over a year ago but never took any pictures of it.

Wow! You did have your work cut out for you, didn't you? How did it turn out? I'm thinking, lots of elbow grease, and probably money too, to make her proud again!

I've not reloaded for it. I think I did buy a die set. My uncle owned the gun. He got it when he was a teenager back in the 20s. He shot it quite a bit and was his most cherished gun. I was very honored when he gave it to me. with just open sights 100 yds would probably be about max.

It's so nice when a close family member hands a gun like that down to us. Unless your family was an exception, none of our grandparents, or other family members, had much back in those days. In fact, a gun was often one of the largest possessions they had...and was a tool, that they kept their families fed with. For your uncle to want to pass it on to you, tells me you were his cherished nephew. Blood, certainly is, thicker than water.

I think I just might start looking for a barrel chambered in this round for my early model TC Contender. Anyone seen one in any of the local gun shops for sale? Or, if you see one at a local gun show, I'd appreciate a heads up. Thanks.