Anyone ever shot a military rifle match?

I've shot a few on the Navy shooting team, it is an absolute blast, I highly recommend check in it out. You peaked my interest by mentioning it, I'm gonna have to go and see about getting back into it. Unfortunately I didn't buy all the gear that goes along with it, you can do it with the basics but nothing like creedmore armory jackets and gloves. A great spotting scope and my favorite, stick um spray. Of course an M1 is good to have too. I've seen guys shoot the M16 but they were never too far up on the point scale, I think they are too susceptible to windage. In fact I have witnessed the little bullets tumble at 600yds too.
  • Like 1

Well Ugly, the Black Rifle now rules in NRA High Power Service Rifle.  We're shooting across the course with 75-80g bullets and holding sub-MOA.  You still might see a match prep M14 every once in a while, but the AR is now the way to go. 

However, M1 Garands still have a home in CMP matches!  :up:  

• Like 1
DMark, glad to hear the black rifle is a dominating presence. Can you offer any advice on how to make a stock mil-spec AR competition ready and worthy? It'd be cheaper for me than buying an M1. Not to mention ammo prices!
It's been a good number of years since I've shot one of these, (15) and I know there have been leaps and bounds in the technology.
  • Like 1

While Mark is having his morning earl grey, I'll comment.

If you start with a stock M16A2, a competitive rifle would have a match barrel, free float tube, two-stage match trigger and 1/2 or 1/4 minute (preferably pinned) rear sight.

Some will add lead weights to the handguard and buttstock as well. 

Add to that some match ammo and a sling and you'll be ready.

• Like 3

went with Garufa to a CMP clinic at ORSA.  It was freaking awesome.  Would love to do it again,  even if I shot as bad as I did that day.

Indeed.  I'd never shot a Garand before and that was really cool.... even if I did break it.  :ugh:

• Like 1

While Mark is having his morning earl grey, I'll comment.

If you start with a stock M16A2, a competitive rifle would have a match barrel, free float tube, two-stage match trigger and 1/2 or 1/4 minute (preferably pinned) rear sight.

Some will add lead weights to the handguard and buttstock as well.

Add to that some match ammo and a sling and you'll be ready.

Thanks Lefty, I just found a reason to build!
Do you supply your own ammo for these matches?
  • Like 1

Thanks Lefty, I just found a reason to build!
Do you supply your own ammo for these matches?

Yes matches are BYOA. I started out shooting PMC at 100yd reduced matches while learning the positions/fundamentals and working up a match load.
  • Like 1

While Mark is having his morning earl grey......,

Tea..., Earl Grey...., Hot.   Make It SO!

fjdpcl.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2IJdfxWtPM

Actually, as a Gentleman Farmer, I prefer my Earl Grey as Afternoon Tea served sitting in low chairs while relaxing in the garden.

---- Getting Back On Topic -----

As leftlyk82 noted, a basic, stock M16A2 configured AR is a good place to start in Service Rifle.  You can add all of the other National Match level parts as you skills develop and you begin to outshoot your rifle.

The only thing that I would do right from the beginning is a good two-stage trigger.  I've watched too many folks over the years struggle with the restraints of a standard heavy, creepy USGI trigger not to recommend that as a must-do-first modification.

• Like 2

Must it have a full buttstock? I can imagine a collapsable is not too friendly when wrenching down on the sling. Just wondering if I should modify my AR or just build one for matches.

Are the matches still open sights? 

Edited by Ugly

Must it have a full buttstock? I can imagine a collapsable is not too friendly when wrenching down on the sling. Just wondering if I should modify my AR or just build one for matches.

Yes, an A2 buttstock is required to be legal for the Service Rifle category.  An A1 might be legal.....I'm still reading my rulebook :)

as far as building goes......you and Mark and others may be more highly experienced that I am, but I'm sticking to building a match lower but buying a complete upper from vendors like White Oak or Compass Lake, assuming funds allow.  but that certainly isn't required for just getting going.  

Yes you can have either an A1 or A2 buttstock.

You can also have either an A1 or A2 grip.

Handguards can be A1, A2...., or A4 (allowed, but I have never seen anyone using a railed handguard).

You can also use an A4 upper, but the full rear sight carry handle must be used.

Basically any configuration of the full-size service rifle.

M4 style carbines are not allowed as a service rifle, but most local club matches will allow you to shoot one in a "out-of-competition" category.  You can shoot the match, your scores just won't be recorded.

What's the minimum to get started in these matches?  I have an old Bushmaster HBAR 20". Would that and factory 55 grain be enough to start?

you could definitely get started at reduced course (100 yd) matches with that.  once you hit the XTC (big range) matches at 200, 300 and 600 yards that 55g will hurt more than help.  there are factory 77g loads that you could shoot from distance if you don't currently reload.  the more you get into this sport, you'll see that to be competitive you'll lean towards loading your own rounds.

as far as what's needed, i'll always tell people to show up and shoot before making a shopping list.  if you have a rifle and some ammo, you can borrow everything else plus it gives you an opportunity to see what other gear people have and what might suit your interest and pocket book.

in your area, i'd imagine the closest place to shoot is ORSA in Oak Ridge.  

you could definitely get started at reduced course (100 yd) matches with that.  once you hit the XTC (big range) matches at 200, 300 and 600 yards that 55g will hurt more than help.  there are factory 77g loads that you could shoot from distance if you don't currently reload.  the more you get into this sport, you'll see that to be competitive you'll lean towards loading your own rounds.

as far as what's needed, i'll always tell people to show up and shoot before making a shopping list.  if you have a rifle and some ammo, you can borrow everything else plus it gives you an opportunity to see what other gear people have and what might suit your interest and pocket book.

in your area, i'd imagine the closest place to shoot is ORSA in Oak Ridge.  

I hear them shooting rifles when I'm at the IDPA match.  I'd like to try it a time or 2.