Replacing a hammer and trigger

Is it hard to replace the hammer and trigger on a 1911? Or is it one of those "take it to a gun smith" type of deals?

I want to get these 

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Trigger-Ultralight-Match-Long-Standard-Pad/productinfo/190/

and 

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Hammer-Ultralight-Skeletonized-Bullet-Proof-Blue/productinfo/337B/

Unless you guys know of better parts that is. 

...Take it to the gunsmith....

leroy

Thats what I thought.

It's not hard if the parts fit.  Quite often on a 1911 they don't so you have to start in with "fitting".

Yeah, not gonna happen.

Who do you guys recommend in the franklin area? I am probably going to take it to tom over at lock stock and barrel, but wouldnt hurt to meet new people. 

But if you are not familiar with fitting you can end up with a dangerous gun.

Also, replacing the hammer and trigger often requires a new thumb safety to be fitted. And it is quite possible the current sear may not play well with the new hammer and trigger. And if not then you have to buy a new sear which often requires a new thumb safety. Or the new hammer may cause the thumb safety to not function correctly.

Or the new hammer and trigger might work without any additional parts but it is very unlikely.
  • Like 1

No way in heyall would I replace the hammer myself for the reasons Dolomite mentioned. I did replace the trigger on my RIA and it slid right in without having to be fitted. I thought that was sweet but when I did a function check I discovered that the grip safety didn't work. The nub on the safety wasn't making contact with the trigger bow and I could make the hammer fall without depressing the safety. I had to stone the safety down where it contacts the main spring housing to make it work. Anything you do to any part on a 1911 may have negative effects to other parts.

But if you are not familiar with fitting you can end up with a dangerous gun.

Also, replacing the hammer and trigger often requires a new thumb safety to be fitted. And it is quite possible the current sear may not play well with the new hammer and trigger. And if not then you have to buy a new sear which often requires a new thumb safety. Or the new hammer may cause the thumb safety to not function correctly.

Or the new hammer and trigger might work without any additional parts but it is very unlikely.

What he said.

The only thing I've tried to fit in a 1911 was a safety. It didn't work out well. And I'm not totally incompetent. I'm sure with a few dozen hours practice, I could become pretty good at it. But since I rarely work on 1911's, it would hardly be worth my time.

Therefore, if I were to need 1911 parts installed, I'd contact someone who has done it and has gotten good at it.

Edit II: plus what 94user said. Edited by Clod Stomper

I have literally ruined at least a dozen thumb safeties, sears, grip safeties and other parts figuring out how to do it correctly. It is not impossible but if you do not know where to take material off you can ruin the part pretty quickly. NEVER use a dremel on 1911 parts. Most parts can be done using a file in under 15 minutes but only if you know what you are doing.