Box Mag fed Mossberg 500

Capbyrd

Ran across these yesterday.  Company called Black Aces Tactical is making a receiver for Mossberg 500's that converts it to a detachable box mag.  

http://www.blackacestactical.com/#!pro-series-5-shotguns/c1zve

Prices start at 499.   I know a lot of people have complained about the price but that doesn't bother me much.  

With the saiga less of an option now, this is a neat alternative in my opinion even though its a pump action.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgIi70yUK8s

I've been wanting to do a SBS, and especially now that the Salvo 12 is out. But that leaves me with lower capacity (3 or 4 rounds) or a saiga SBS which I assume would be a little more tricky.  The idea of a 500 cut down to the length of the fore end, with a detachable box mag really seems like it could be a winner for me.  Definitely something to consider anyways. 

Yep when they first started out on facebook, i liked their page and saw all their stuff. But when they started advertising the $5000 and i think they have one for $7499 i said nope and unliked it so i wont see it anymore. And to top it off they are built on mossberg 500, please.

Hell there used to be a knoxx sidewinder kit for the 870 or 500 and was MUCH cheaper

Sorry but no.

So why are we just talking about the most expensive gun on their site?  Are we just ignoring that they have options starting at FIVE HUNDRED (I spelled it so no one gets confused) dollars? Should I just not have posted because the company maxes out options on one gun and therefore makes them a joke of a company?  

Because even with the basic kit and a pawn shop M500, you still have enough money in it to buy a decent AR15...

With a 590 host (the only Mossberg shotgun worth buying), you're looking at at least a grand.... and you still just have a pump shotgun. 

It looks like neat engineering... just not very realistic in today's market.

Edited by dcloudy777

But an AR is not a shotgun.  I'm wanting an SBS host for a Salvo12.  Semi's mean dealing with gas systems.  

For that niche, this system might be just the ticket.  I'd wait for some beta testers to buy first though.  The word on the old Knoxx sidewinder system was that they never really could get it to work reliably, so they stopped making it.  Hopefully this new outfit has de-bugged it. 

I'd like to put one of those Salvos on my SBS Saiga... but I've already got too much money in that gun, can't really justify another $1500 (by the time you got it shipped and stamped) for what would be a range toy.  Well, can't justify it yet anyway.   :pleased:

For that niche, this system might be just the ticket.  I'd wait for some beta testers to buy first though.  The word on the old Knoxx sidewinder system was that they never really could get it to work reliably, so they stopped making it.  Hopefully this new outfit has de-bugged it. 

I'd like to put one of those Salvos on my SBS Saiga... but I've already got too much money in that gun, can't really justify another $1500 (by the time you got it shipped and stamped) for what would be a range toy.  Well, can't justify it yet anyway.   :pleased:

Absolutely.  The thing I like about this system is that it replaces the receiver.  Its a new receiver specifically made to be mag fed.  And a new bolt that is made to be mag fed.   I think this is a well thought out kit.  I've heard from some people that own them (how I found out about them) and they seem to like them.  

And in all honesty, I've certainly found dumber ways to spend 500 bucks.

They probably leave it to keep costs down.

If they could engineer a way for the gun to use the conventional tube magazine if the box mag wasn't in place would be a neat feature.

You could keep in the fight if the box magazine runs dry or is damaged, or keep a different round (like slugs) in the tube for a quick select-slug drill.

It looks nice but I'm skeptical as to its reliability. I say this because I've watched and had Mossberg 500 PSG's fail to complete tactical shotgun schools. I've seen more Saiga's choke and die too to fully trust them either. The simple rule with a defensive PSG is keep it topped off, shoot twice load a round on the move, shoot again load one or two rounds. I believe reliable detachable magazine combat PSG's have potential but see it as turning a sows ear into a silk purse endeavor. Not trying to make you angry or hurt your feelings here just commenting on what I know. 

Another thing I dont understand is why use one of the lower grade shotguns as a base? Why not use an 870 or at least a 590? The 870 has a far superior safety location, especially for pistol grip stocks which seem to be the majority of what they sell. They are cool but not for their exorbitant price points on some and I cant help but think, if it is box mag fed, why not just get an autoloader and be done?

A suppressor host is a very valid application for one of their base models though.
Looks neato, but I don't see the draw of spending extra to fit three more rounds into a 500 and having a large albatross of a box mag sticking out. Nope, doesn't make sense. My 500 holds 7 in the tube and I can store it loaded a lot easier than something with an awkward 10 round box mag. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By all means. But also know that for me, my guns are toys. I don't go into combat or run drills or plot takeovers. I simply go the range and have fun being me.

The problem with this is any weapon you own might end up being pressed into service as a defensive weapon. I consider that for every firearm I buy, in the back of my head, I ask myself would I use this in a firefight. Also, from Iraq, I prefer using a rifle for defensive purposes that a shotgun would fill. It still has plenty of power, a larger capacity, less recoil, lighter ammo, and longer range when you need it. I really don't see the purpose of a shotgun any more, honestly, with good AR's and AK's out there. Sure a shotgun has plenty of power, but no one will argue the effectiveness of 2 AK rounds center mass. You just give up too much for what it offers, as far as long guns go, with a shotgun.

Just my opinion of course, but one from a lot of experience. 

You base a lot on might. And if it is "pressed into service," it will be from out of the safe where there are plenty of other options available.

For me and my daily life, your points don't seem to resonate much. But I don't wear body armor every day or really even care about my health and safety most of the time. I'm just trying to enjoy the time I have here as best I can and not worry about things I can't control.

You base a lot on might. And if it is "pressed into service," it will be from out of the safe where there are plenty of other options available.

For me and my daily life, your points don't seem to resonate much. But I don't wear body armor every day or really even care about my health and safety most of the time. I'm just trying to enjoy the time I have here as best I can and not worry about things I can't control.

I'm a civilian now, so I don't do that, but the things I learned in combat are good things to keep a habit of, even now. 

I'm a minimalist as well, so I don't like owning a lot of things. I own very little, so I'd rather have a rifle, and train with it, than have a rifle and a shotgun. I try to simplify as much as possible, so I only own 3 guns. They will cover any scenario I can possibly think of happening. 

I realize most everyone else is different, but it is what works for me. I've never seen the point of the greed and consumerism that plagues this country. Not directed at you specifically, just something to keep in mind. The less you own, the more freedom you have.