dumb gun lock

Sam1

This is about the dumbest one I've seen in a while.  basically a combination lock using toggle switches to unlock the gun for it to be fired.

http://www.saftlok4guns.com/

"Hold on good sir, I cannot remember the combination of lever manipulations to unlock the gun to defend myself"  While he's getting beat over the head with a baseball bat.

I particularly love the picture at the top of the page of that "Ohhh so happy family!". They won't be that &$#*! happy when Dad can't get the combo right and the thugs with no safety combo to remember bust through the door, rape the wife in front of the rest of the family and shoot the Dad, leaving the kids in the house with that safe gun still safely locked.

I cant understand how it attaches without damaging the gun, which is not acceptable.  And I can't understand why its not a thumbprint reader, instead of that silly combination.  And I don't get the point, because, from their list, :

Prevent accidental shootings.  --- No, it does not.  Most all accidental shootings, or the vast majority, happen with a gun that is ready to shoot being mishandled.  Usually by the owner, or the untrained and unsupervised children of the owner, both of which are so negligent that a lock can't help because the people in question are the type that stick their hands under a running lawnmower if it does not shut off when with an idiot switch.  You can't save those sorts of people from themselves,  they will find a way.

Curious children can't pull the trigger.   --- Curious children are supervised and know not to do this from training. 
No one can use your gun against you.  --- yes they can.  If someone is assaulting you, you already unlocked it.  It can now be used against you. DUH?
Simple "quick-click" combination.   --- is it faster than I can shoot you if I surprised you in the dark?
Allows you to fire in less than 3 seconds, even in complete darkness.  -- No, your best people can do this, but the average person in a panic probably needs 10-15. 
Mechanical operation.  No keys to find or batteries to fail.  -- mechanical stuff never fails, that is why I do not change the oil in my car or get the brakes serviced.
Requires no modification to firearm.  -- what is that ugly lump on the gun?
Becomes part of the firearm and complements its function and appearance.  -- which is it?  This is mutex to the statement above.

All in all their ad sounds like total garbage to me.   Its like a solution in search of a problem.   BAWC today so I sent em an email for some clarifications :)

Edited by Jonnin
  • Like 2

Those reviews HAVE to be fake, or this "NRA instructor" needs to be kicked off the home team. 

"I feel so strongly that safety locks like yours (SAF T LOK) are so important for those who have kids in the house or fear someone might suddenly snatch their handgun."

Douglas Moorcroft
                                                                                                                         NRA Safety Instructor

Those reviews HAVE to be fake, or this "NRA instructor" needs to be kicked off the home team. 

Googing that name with "NRA" only returns this one review and nothing else.

Is there a way to actually look up NRA instructors by name?

I particularly love the picture at the top of the page of that "Ohhh so happy family!". They won't be that &$#*! happy when Dad can't get the combo right and the thugs with no safety combo to remember bust through the door, rape the wife in front of the rest of the family and shoot the Dad, leaving the kids in the house with that safe gun still safely locked.

Thats a bit drastic. But accurate to a degree. 

Well, it appears that Troy industries is implementing a version of this device into their AR's now.  Fortunately this company understands their customer base is too stupid to count higher than 1 so they simplified it:

Troy-Ambidextrous-Safety-Selector-Semi-1

:D

Edited by Sam1
  • Like 1

Not much of an answer, but such as it is, they did reply and provide links to more info. 

You made some interesting points on our wording, but our intent is clear. *snipped rehash of web page ad*

The Saf T Lok becomes a part of your firearm the same way grips do, and as

easily. It changes nothing about the operation, except that when locked, it
blocks movement of the the trigger bar, or in other cases the hammer strut.

We recently put together some videos that will help answer your questions.
Please check out www.saftlok4guns.com. Installation is on "How it Works"
page.