Small Aircraft Ride, For My Son

runco

My #2 son turns 9 next week.  He loves airplanes, and we have been on few flights using commercial aircraft.  However, I thought about taking him on a local flight with one of those small aircraft, so he could see the surrounding area.  Are there programs or other ways where someone can take a father and son on maybe an flight from a hometown airport for maybe 30 min to an hour?  Not looking for volunteers, but programs.  I live in Monroe County, which has a small airport in Madisonville, but what about other places.  Is there such a program?  Or is it truly you have to know someone willing to take you along for a joy ride?

• Like 1

The Halls Air Show on August 16-17 will have aircraft rides available as well a chance to see some vintage airplanes on the ground and in the air.  731-836-7400

Edited by tnhawk

The Halls Air Show on August 16-17 will have aircraft rides available as well a chance to see some vintage airplanes on the ground and in the air.  731-836-7400

This is what I would recommend; we also love to fly around in smaller planes which is primarily Cessna's but last year we took a ride in an old open top 1930's biplane in Key West and it was more fun than anything else.

The air show will probably have a lot cooler options for the same price or possibly even cheaper since there will be a lot of competition for business there.

If you can swing the tickets...I highly recommend taking one of the B-17 rides. I have done it and just can't seem to stop talking about it.

It was one of the greatest things I have ever done for personal enjoyment. My wife couldn't go along because she had just had knee surgery and couldn't get in the plane, but she says I had a grin on my face like she'd never seen before when we got off the plane.

Given the opportunity, I would, and plan to do it again.

• Like 1
The airshow is a great idea. Rides in vintage airplanes are always a blast.

Another thing I would suggest is to find a local flight instructor/ flight school that can take you and your son on a "Discovery Flight". I still have a Flight Instructor Certificate myself, and I instructed when I was building time for the airlines but haven't flown a small plane in a long time otherwise I could more help.

A discovery flight is just an introduction to learning to fly airplanes. It is usually 30min but could be longer if you wish. It would give you and your son an opportunity to not just ride in the back of a small plane but to feel the controls and learn some basics. If your son (or you) ever wanted more, you would have a good resource for the future. The right instructor should not make this flight too technical since your son is young but rather make it a fun and casual flight. I started my first lessons when I was 15 though, so beware the "bug" bites at an early age. Lol

You guys will have a good time getting up in the air. You just need to find the right local flight instructor with experience and good personality. Have fun!

Here are a couple of links that might point you in the right direction.

Edit (fixed the link):
http://flighttraining.aopa.org/learntofly/school/flight_schools/

http://www.tennessee-flightschools.com/tennessee-discovery-flights.php Edited by Batman
  • Like 1

Airplane guys have a soft spot in their hearts for folks that show an interest in flying, or learning to fly. If you have a municipal airport close by, let your interest be known to some of the EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association) guys, and chances are that they can hook you up with someone that will take you guys up in their personal plane. I've been a pilot for most of my adult life, and have owned my own aircraft for years now, and have given many rides to interested people. You and your son just need to spend a little time hanging out at a local airport, and make some acquaintances. a good person to start off with, is the person behind the counter. No self respecting pilot, can resist offering a free ride to a kid hanging on the airport fence! Good luck, and let us know about it. Trust me...it's nothing like a commercial flight in an airliner, or even a corporate jet.

• Like 3
+1 to what batman and sidewinder said. I work in aviation, most folks are more than happy to share their passion. Dad took me flying when I was a kid and I loved it... still do. We never owned an airplane and we quit going when renting got too expensive.

I'll ask around at work and see if anyone might be able to help you out.

Also... the chilhowee glider port is right off 411 near etowah. They do rides, we got one for dad for Father's Day a few years ago.
http://www.chilhowee.com

As the others have said, almost all private pilots enjoy introducing others to general aviation.  Visit a couple of local airports and introduce yourself and your son to the flight instructors.  Ask them what the options are locally. I'm not current on prices now, but a few years back most instructors around this area were offering the "discovery flights" for $49.  It's a great way to get your first taste of small aircraft, since these flights allow prospective students to take the controls for a part of the flight.  My bet is that it won't be the last such flight you take either...

[quote name="Sidewinder" post="1172307" timestamp="1406408430"]Airplane guys have a soft spot in their hearts for folks that show an interest in flying, or learning to fly. If you have a municipal airport close by, let your interest be known to some of the EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association) guys, and chances are that they can hook you up with someone that will take you guys up in their personal plane. I've been a pilot for most of my adult life, and have owned my own aircraft for years now, and have given many rides to interested people. You and your son just need to spend a little time hanging out at a local airport, and make some acquaintances. a good person to start off with, is the person behind the counter. No self respecting pilot, can resist offering a free ride to a kid hanging on the airport fence! Good luck, and let us know about it. Trust me...it's nothing like a commercial flight in an airliner, or even a corporate jet.[/quote] I went up with sidewinder when I was a kid. My dad was a pilot and a member of the EAA and there was always someone wanting to go flying on any given Saturday or Sunday afternoon. He is right. Most pilots are great guys and it is a sport to them like shooting is to us.

My part time job while I was in College was as a flight instructor.  Taking someone's child for a ride was a common request.  I just charged the normal rate for plane & instructor and would let the parent decide where to go and for how long. Over flying the family residence was common.  I would always put the child/student in the left seat and after getting to altitude would let them manipulate the controls.   It was also very common, in the fall, to have requests to ride the entire family over Cades Cove and the Smoky Mnts.  

I went up with sidewinder when I was a kid. My dad was a pilot and a member of the EAA and there was always someone wanting to go flying on any given Saturday or Sunday afternoon. He is right. Most pilots are great guys and it is a sport to them like shooting is to us.

Jt, those were great days, and great people. My best to you and your family. Please tell your dad hello for me.

I've been offered rides by several people at our local airport. Most of the guys there are very enthusiastic about giving a kid a ride. We even have a member of this forum who has offered a ride for my kids and myself. I'll not name him, but wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't see this thread and make you the same offer.

You might just take him to the local airport and ask if you could look around. You're likely to strike up a conversation that leads into a flight. If so, be sure and do something nice for the pilot in return. Lunch, coffee, or something.