Fed Court Overturns "Docs vs. Glocks" Injunction

You know...while I think the decision was a good one, I've never quite understood why this issue (doctors asking patients about their firearm ownership) cause so many so much irritation.  My doctor has never asked me but if he/she ever did I simply wouldn't answer.

Anybody can "ask" anything they want...I can answer or not as I chose...therefore I don't really see a problem. Or am I missing something??? :shrug:

• Like 2
Read the article, somehow doctors' 1st and 14th amendment rights are being violated.

???

To ask me if I am gun owner when being treated for a hemorrhoid is gathering non pertinent information for medical care, diagnosis or treatment.

To tell me you don't agree that Americans should own guns because it endangers the public safety while your fist is up my a$$ for treatment of same hemorrhoid is expressing free speech.
[quote name="RobertNashville" post="1172499" timestamp="1406469730"] Or am I missing something??? :shrug:[/quote] See... I see it from the healthcare side. Now on all physicals, especially Medicare physicals, healthcare providers are "supposed to" ask those questions. Now, I never have and never will simply because it's none of my business. But, I don't want to run the risk of someone's annual wellness physical not being accepted by their insurance provider because I skipped over that section as either, causing the patient trouble. So it's sort of a catch 22 to anyone in the medical field. That's why I've never liked it. I agree with you though about not caring if they ask me as a patient. I'll either tell them what they want to hear or simply tell them it's none of their business Edited by KKing

If asked, I'm going to respond with a question of my own.

"Do you or anyone in your household own sex toys?"  Just asking to make sure that you're as uncomfortable as I am being asked a question that is none of my business.  Now we are both on the same playing field.

• Like 2

I work in Children's Services (Juvenile Justice), when a child is placed in state custody, a medical EPSD&T ( a physical) is completed within 30 days of placement, most of the time it's completed at a health department.  I've attended a few of these physicals and during the intake there is a question the health professional asks the child if there are firearms in the home and if so, are they securely stored.

Why not, "If there are guns in the home are they secured where you can not get to them?

Does the person need to know if there is a firearm in the home or if it is safely stored ? I hope it is the latter because the former has nothing to do with medical care. Plus, I doubt many small children know what a "firearm" is but they know a "gun" just like they may want to know "securely stored" but the phrase is foreign to a child. Why not use plain language and ask if they can or can't get the gun.

See... I see it from the healthcare side. Now on all physicals, especially Medicare physicals, healthcare providers are "supposed to" ask those questions. Now, I never have and never will simply because it's none of my business. But, I don't want to run the risk of someone's annual wellness physical not being accepted by their insurance provider because I skipped over that section as either, causing the patient trouble. So it's sort of a catch 22 to anyone in the medical field. That's why I've never liked it. I agree with you though about not caring if they ask me as a patient. I'll either tell them what they want to hear or simply tell them it's none of their business

I see your point.

I suppose that if I'm ever asked I'll probably just lie.  I don't like to lie but if someone is going to ask me a question, the answer to which is none of their business, I'm not going to lose any sleep over lying to them. ;)

If I had could hold character long enough I'd love to do something like this to someone who asks me a question that they have no damn business asking; enjoy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cpzLxYnpG4

• Like 1
I have a friend who is raising a grandson that's had some problems. He is 14 and been kicked out of several schools for taking a knife to school with the intent to do harm. He is at his wits end trying to get help. He said the gipun question has come up a lot and given the kids history I can understand the concern. He isn't a gun owner so it's a nonissue. He just says gun are not for him but he has no problems with others owning one.

I see your point.
I suppose that if I'm ever asked I'll probably just lie.  I don't like to lie but if someone is going to ask me a question, the answer to which is none of their business, I'm not going to lose any sleep over lying to them. ;)
If I had could hold character long enough I'd love to do something like this to someone who asks me a question that they have no damn business asking; enjoy...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cpzLxYnpG4

We has have a phone I our NOC that's is used only for reverse prank calls. The game is see who can keep the caller on the phone the longest. I've got the record so far at just over an hour and a half if it wasn't time to go home I could have kept it going for hours.

Edited by battleop
It is another form of registration. I think all physicians and most other healthcare providers are supposed to be compliant with electronic records per Non affordable care act by Oct of this year. This question has never made it to my intake forms, it is not applicable unless maybe you are seeing a shrink. So when you type N/A in appropriate box it only takes the "N" for some reason. Edited by Static_USMC

It is another form of registration. I think all physicians and most other healthcare providers are supposed to be compliant with electronic records per Non affordable care act by Oct of this year. This question has never made it to my intake forms, it is not applicable unless maybe you are seeing a shrink. So when you type N/A in appropriate box it only takes the "N" for some reason.

Actually, the mover to electronic medical records began many years before Obummer and his Obamacare although I don't know when the "firearm" question was first introduced.  In any case, I'm not answering the question if I'm asked...what my Dr puts down in his record is up to her. ;)