What's an NRA certification worth?

I'm going to get my NRA pistol instructor certification this weekend in Oak Ridge I and was just wondering if it actually holds any weight. I have 0% interest in starting any sort of school or hosting any classes. I have, like many of you, helped out some new shooters with getting started or teaching some folks the basics of handgun manipulations. I wanted to get the certification to add some legitimacy to myself and was wondering if this actually means something to people. To experienced shooters like us, I wouldn't think it would be as big a deal but to the new shooter it might. Thoughts?

It is training, and therefore valuable....to a degree.  I liken it to 'feathers in your cap".  The more feathers the better.  It is through your experience and additional training that it becomes more significant.  On the other hand, at least the NRA is one of those recognized 'good-housekeeping seals', and therefore can be beneficial.

If you have never taken any methods of instruction course, the NRA's instructor course is a very good base to start from.

I have a couple of instructor/coach certifications from the NRA.  To be honest, some of the techniques they present are a bit dated - - - but that doesn't mean that you can't learn something from their training. 

Agree with chances R, its beneficial because its a proven product.  To a new shooter a NRA instructor does have the legitimacy that many look for when wishing to learn about firearms. 

I have 7 NRA instructor certifications and I have certified many other instructors over the years. It is very valuable training and the classes include lots of real live practice which is critical because most new instructors are not well prepared for public speaking and teaching or handling guns in a classroom environment despite having years of shooting experience. So if you have a good training counselor running the class you should learn many valuable lessons that will serve you well for years to come. I know there are many different training counselors that teach the instructor classes and there is a big difference in the quality of one versus another, so my best advice is for you to shop around and not just pick the class that is closest to you or the cheapest. I have a very good friend that I believe is the best training counselor in the nation, and we run a few big instructor certification camps each year which are the absolute best training experience I've ever had related to firearms. If you are able to wait until early next year I may be able to get you an invite to this private event. It is very cheap, extremely fun, and you can earn up to 4 certifications over two weekends if desired.
  • Like 1

If you help with youth shooting programs it a good idea to get certified. Several of our scout leaders have taken the Range Safety Officer class and I have instructor certification for pistol and rifle. I intend to get shotgun also when I can find a local class and fit into my schedule.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest AlohaSnackbar

i am in the process of getting mine as well, like someone else mentioned, the more feathers in your cap the better. i don't take anyone seriously until i see them teach.

I agree with what ChancesR and others are saying, but would add another option: NRA Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor certification. This is night and day from the other NRA certs. Week long courses with a high, objective standard for graduation.
You do not have to be a LEO, though some locations may require it. You can always find the class you want somewhere in the SE.