For the folks that remember the Real Muscle Cars!!!!!!

I hated driving my 69 big block, 4 speed Corvette. It had a close ratio muncey and 4.11's I the back. It was like driving a tractor when tooling around. It was hot in the summer and if it were not for the exhaust it would have been cool in the winter. But boy did I love standing next to it.

• Like 2

I hated driving my 69 big block, 4 speed Corvette. It had a close ratio muncey and 4.11's I the back. It was like driving a tractor when tooling around. It was hot in the summer and if it were not for the exhaust it would have been cool in the winter. But boy did I love standing next to it.

Sounds like mine, back in those olden days, Dolo.

69 ragtop. 435/427, 390lbs/ft torque. Split ratio, short throw 4 spd. 160 lb racing clutch. Had a shift pattern the size of half a candybar.

I didn't know it when I bought it, but the car's tranny was worth more than the rest of the vehicle. I lucked into one of those 200 or so GM built and put out for sale in order to comply with the rules to keep it legal for SCAA Racing in '68/69.

It sure was a pretty fast and sweet car.

And yes, it sure looked good sitting still. Which wasn't too often with me in those days. I'll try to round up some pics of the little baby.

How about we do an LS3 test drive next week at Gallatin

The LS3 is gone.  I finally grew up and now have a four-door

Mmmm, LT5. That ones not like the rest.

I sold my 2002 ZO6 to finally get a ZR-1.  It was the most memorable Corvette that I ever owned!

67uqgz.jpg

IMO, Cars are meant to be driven, not collected and stowed away.

Got a goat in the garage and it loves to be driven.

(If you don't know what I'm referring to, GTO)

If you need the term "goat" explained to you, remove your silk panties, get your testicles out of your wife's purse, and buy a hot rod magazine.  :rofl:

• Like 4

i figured it might bring back a few fond memories. I know it did for me even though I was not a real Chevy guy. I was a Mopar freak and began my life of driving at age 16 with a 32 Ford 3 window suicide door Ford coupe w/ 392 Hemi power plant with 2 AFB carbs and a 456 9inch Ford hog head rear gear and Hurst 4 speed with monkey shifter. Second car was a  65 Hurst Cuda Fish. Was a Mopar guy for life............ :up:  :up:  

If you need the term "goat" explained to you, remove your silk panties, get your testicles out of your wife's purse, and buy a hot rod magazine.  :rofl:

I know what it is, But there are some people out there that don't know, Once you mention GTO, the look on their faces changes.

In Sevierville we have the muscle car museum. It has an amazing collection that is always changing. It costs $10 and would take the average person well over an hour to look at everything. And the best part is they DO allow you to take photos. I know the last time I was there he has some amazingly rare pieces. The one that really stood out to be was a 1969 Impala station wagon with wood grain side. What made it special is it was factory built with a high horse 427 with a 4 speed and 4.10 positraction rear end. They also had two Hemi Cudas on the floor as well as some other extremely rare cars.

You explained it, so obviously the joke wasn't directed it you. 

Yep,

Just wish i could post a pic on here of it. It actually is my father's GTO ( 1965) hardtop. With a 4 speed 3 duces and a 389.  Just like the song. 

Yep,

Just wish i could post a pic on here of it. It actually is my father's GTO ( 1965) hardtop. With a 4 speed 3 duces and a 389.  Just like the song. 

My dad had one too, '66 with a 389 bored over to 400. My uncle made him some exhaust pipes out of the drive shaft from a '55(?) Chevy. Apparently it sounded so tough that most people wouldn't race him. 

GTO's came out in 1963 with the 389 six pack. Buddy of mine had one and it was fast. At the same time Pontiac had the Pontiac Tempest with the OHC 6 cylinders or the 326 V-8's.  When I moved down to Tennessee I was driving my 1966 Dodge Coronet that I traded my 65 Cuda on so I could go big block. When I finally got settled in down here I realized I had been moved into the heart of Chevy land by my parents. My Coronet stood out like a sore thumb in high school parking lot of hot rod Chevy PUT's or Chevy cars but then a purple car pretty much stands out any place. It was wearing that Chrysler Plum Crazy that the Road Runners and GTX's had that same year. The same color of Jugheads Avatar picture. Most of the guy in high school were sporting small blocks in 55's 56's and 57 Chevy's. There were a couple 65 Impala's sporting 396's and a few guys got brave and called me out to see if they could beat the ugly purple car. All got their feelings hurt. Has a concrete bridge they raced on that was exactly 1/8th mile and only thing they had that got close was a 67 396 Chevelle but I had a 100 Hp on him from the factory before my add-on's which was Tunnel ram twin 650 dual pumpers and Isky Cam and lifters. Man I can remember those days like they were yesterday but have trouble remembering what I had for supper last night now also..................... :rock: :rofl:

GTO's came out in 1963 with the 389 six pack. Buddy of mine had one and it was fast. At the same time Pontiac had the Pontiac Tempest with the OHC 6 cylinders or the 326 V-8's.  When I moved down to Tennessee I was driving my 1966 Dodge Coronet that I traded my 65 Cuda on so I could go big block. When I finally got settled in down here I realized I had been moved into the heart of Chevy land by my parents. My Coronet stood out like a sore thumb in high school parking lot of hot rod Chevy PUT's or Chevy cars but then a purple car pretty much stands out any place. It was wearing that Chrysler Plum Crazy that the Road Runners and GTX's had that same year. The same color of Jugheads Avatar picture. Most of the guy in high school were sporting small blocks in 55's 56's and 57 Chevy's. There were a couple 65 Impala's sporting 396's and a few guys got brave and called me out to see if they could beat the ugly purple car. All got their feelings hurt. Has a concrete bridge they raced on that was exactly 1/8th mile and only thing they had that got close was a 67 396 Chevelle but I had a 100 Hp on him from the factory before my add-on's which was Tunnel ram twin 650 dual pumpers and Isky Cam and lifters. Man I can remember those days like they were yesterday but have trouble remembering what I had for supper last night now also..................... :rock: :rofl:

The first year for the GTO was 1964, not 1963. And the first year cars never had a tri duce setup, that came a year later in 1965. Now technically they did come out in 1963 but it was model year 1964.

BTW, there was no such thing as a Road Runner or GTX in 1966, they came later. And "Plum Crazy Purple" was not a color for any MOPAR until 1970 and was gone by 1971.

Might want to recheck those memories that are like yesterday, seems like they are more like last week's memories.

BTW, you have found my other passion. From the time before I could drive I was reading about, dreaming of owning and building muscle cars. I could spout off production numbers for the more popular models, I knew the bore and stroke of every engine from the mid 60's to the mid 80's. My passion for cars was probably 1,000 times more than anything gun related but that all went away when I quit driving.

The first year for the GTO was 1964, not 1963. And the first year cars never had a tri duce setup, that came a year later in 1965. Now technically they did come out in 1963 but it was model year 1964.

BTW, there was no such thing as a Road Runner or GTX in 1966, they came later. And "Plum Crazy Purple" was not a color for any MOPAR until 1970 and was gone by 1971.

Might want to recheck those memories that are like yesterday, seems like they are more like last week's memories.

BTW, you have found my other passion. From the time before I could drive I was reading about, dreaming of owning and building muscle cars. I could spout off production numbers for the more popular models, I knew the bore and stroke of every engine from the mid 60's to the mid 80's. My passion for cars was probably 1,000 times more than anything gun related but that all went away when I quit driving.

Well, I guess my old mind may not be as good as I thought. I just know I had a Plum Purple Dodge Coronet because my brother painted it in his body shop and turned it from white to purple and a buddy of his got the paint for him from a company he worked for called Electromotive and they built train locomotives  and that was one of the colors of  their locomotives they built. It did not match Chrysler's exactly when they put theirs out. They had a little more gold metallic dust in theirs than mine did and i liked theirs better but was not going to repaint again........... :shrug:

My father had a 32 plymouth coupe and it had a 327 small block ( I think) and a couple carbs( don't remember what all he had). Was in storage nearly 45 years before he decided to sell It this summer.

Part of me wished he had kept it but it needed a lot of work.